The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 15:39:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  How do you test/find a crack in a case?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How do you test/find a crack in a case?  (Read 2732 times)
Brandon Sinclair

« on: September 04, 2009, 19:18:57 pm »

I have a strange oil weeping issue and I cannot find the reason for it.  The case gets wet in the area under the oil pressure idiot light fitting.  There is a small rectangular area that I will clean off with brake cleaner and go for a drive and it is wet there again.  It does not seem to be coming from either the fitting or the distributor so I am stumped.  Is it possible to have a crack in that area and if so what is the best way to help locate it?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 19:57:55 pm by Brandon Sinclair » Logged
SlingShot

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 19:28:12 pm »

I have seen cases that have had the sensor over tightend, which caused cracks. Have you tried cleaning it, starting the engine and just watching for the leak?

Will Race For Beer !!!
Jim Ratto

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 19:38:17 pm »

heat it and watch for oils to come to surface out of crack
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 22:48:32 pm »

you can alway put some oil dye in the oil it leaves a yellow stain where the oil is coming from

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 23:00:42 pm »

Stock fuel pump?

I had a mystery leak in the same area once and it was at the pump, running down to that exact area.

Just a thought.

It's not the OPS itself ... ?

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
kingsburgphil

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 06:58:55 am »

I have a strange oil weeping issue and I cannot find the reason for it.  The case gets wet in the area under the oil pressure idiot light fitting.  There is a small rectangular area that I will clean off with brake cleaner and go for a drive and it is wet there again.  It does not seem to be coming from either the fitting or the distributor so I am stumped.  Is it possible to have a crack in that area and if so what is the best way to help locate it?
Simple, time tested procedure, Magnaflux brand dye penetrant inspection kit. It's available at Aircraft Spruce, and it was old when I first used it in 69'.
It's best used prior to assembly when your castings are clean, and you have clear access to all the potential weak areas. I prefer to warm the castings first,
maybe 200 deg f.

Using a UV dye and UV light/glasses can work, if you're patient and lucky. Personally I'd try the clean/heat/weep method first, (credit previous post)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 16:06:46 pm by kingsburgphil » Logged
Brandon Sinclair

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 17:24:53 pm »

Yes, stock fuel pump.  I will take a look at it.  Thanks for all the tips guys.
Sarge

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 18:06:21 pm »

Heat works best for finding hairline cracks... just be carefull!!  My current case has had the oil pressure switch over tightened sometime in it's life and is cracked.  You can solve this by carefully cleaning all oil from the switch hole (take the switch out and let the oil drain back into the case overnight).  I'd reccomend a new OEM switch (021 919 081 D) with a tiny dab of red loctite.  Screw the switch in tight by hand and add about a 1/4 turn with a wrench (the switch has pipe threads... tapered... the more you tighten, the wedge of the taper will spread the crack open).  Let everything sit for a few hours to allow the loctite to cure.  I got lucky and have had no more leak.

DKP III
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: