The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 05:44:34 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350885 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  has any car in reality exceeded your dreams of the "perfect Cal Look Car"?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: has any car in reality exceeded your dreams of the "perfect Cal Look Car"?  (Read 13518 times)
DKK Tommy
DKK

« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2009, 04:38:21 am »

No,  not really. I mean once you think you can do everything and put everything into the car, along comes someone with another great idea. I guess it has to be something you are happy with without settling.
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2009, 19:20:07 pm »

Too many nice cars to choose only one !

Russell

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2009, 21:27:44 pm »

Lee your right i also forgot about Daves Rhoads car..... in  fact Mr Sadlers yellow car is also a sure fire contender....

Yes this is stupid topic.... its far far too hard to answer correctly !

Best Regards

Russell
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2009, 21:40:39 pm »

Im living my dream right now  Wink, still got a ways to go and had more than a few nightmares getting there  Roll Eyes
Actually I'd have to pick two and they live under the same roof now

The Keith Goss chop and Randy Carlson's awsome split
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 21:52:13 pm by 49-rag » Logged

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2009, 23:13:05 pm »

oh and of course the choptop  Grin

You either "Get It" or you don't......
bilboa2

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2009, 05:32:51 am »

WHAT,no dual muffs on the "CREAM OF THE CHOPS"?  That was THEE car that led the dual muff craze.Car still looks great, every coming back to it's home state for a tour?? Maybe dkp reunion next year?? though keith (goss)never was a dkp 2 member.. (oops)... but hung out with us...
Cornpanzer

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2009, 22:34:33 pm »

Good question.  I think it may have been misunderstood though  Smiley

I cant think of any one "Perfect" cal-look car.  Of all of my favorites, there is one or two things that I would do differently.  I think that is why most of us build our own.  Even my own car is not perfect in my own eyes though.  Rarely does anyone have the money, skills or time needed to do everything absolutly perfect.  Plus, by the time you finish, you may have seen some cool trick that you would have liked to incorporate in your own car. 

Perfection seems to be a moving target.  Smiley

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2009, 01:16:52 am »

I remember the first time I saw Gary Bergs '67 (owned by Rick Zavala by that time) along with Don Bullita's car on the Berg cruise up in Washington.
Those cars inspired me.
They weren't just at a show, they were true drivers.
"Perfection"? I can't say because I was so excited I didn't judge ... just allowed to be motivated.
I think that's what it's all about.

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2009, 18:01:02 pm »

Well said.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2009, 18:36:21 pm »

Good question.  I think it may have been misunderstood though  Smiley

I cant think of any one "Perfect" cal-look car.  Of all of my favorites, there is one or two things that I would do differently.  I think that is why most of us build our own.  Even my own car is not perfect in my own eyes though.  Rarely does anyone have the money, skills or time needed to do everything absolutly perfect.  Plus, by the time you finish, you may have seen some cool trick that you would have liked to incorporate in your own car. 

Exactly what I was thinking, Dave. There is no such thing as "perfect", however, I was hoping to get some ideas of which cars most guys would use as an influence to bolt together something that comes as close to perfect as they could attain. For me, it would be my own '67, but with all the bugs and wrinkles worked out, cosmetically and mechanically. Most importantly, my glimpse of "perfection" would encompass the ability to drive the car under most conditions without needing a seance, a month's worth of tinkering before turning the key, and without stopping to put rockers back on, bolt wheels back on, etc. Cosmetically, I would want to have the car quietly stand out from the crowd, through color and subtle details. Overall, I'd want the thing to taste as much like a VW as possible, and keep it as far from the JEG's look as possible. Think a VW with early 911 genes handed down. You get my drift.
Cornpanzer

« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2009, 21:37:52 pm »

Most importantly, my glimpse of "perfection" would encompass the ability to drive the car under most conditions without needing a seance, a month's worth of tinkering before turning the key, and without stopping to put rockers back on, bolt wheels back on, etc. 

yeah, good luck with that!  When you figure it out, let me know.  Grin Cheesy

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Jim Ratto

« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2009, 22:32:32 pm »

Most importantly, my glimpse of "perfection" would encompass the ability to drive the car under most conditions without needing a seance, a month's worth of tinkering before turning the key, and without stopping to put rockers back on, bolt wheels back on, etc. 

yeah, good luck with that!  When you figure it out, let me know.  Grin Cheesy

was talking to Jim Kurlinski @ Classic about his copper '66, (which is another car that comes damn close to my Webster's dictionary definition of "perfect hot rod VW"), and what impressed me most about the car, is that Jim drove the car up to Sacramento for drags, then up to Lake Tahoe and back down US 395 to Southern California. If any of you out there are familiar with that drive, you know that's quite a feat for a big cc, 13 sec street VW. Seems he's got it fairly figured out.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2009, 22:31:46 pm »

I couldn't build one "perfect" car. There are so many different choices to the "Look", different years, headlight options, bumper treatments, engine choices, interiors, ect to be made and I like most all of them. I really like how AssHull's car is coming out, but when I do my own '67 it will be something completely different... and I've got other ideas for other cars, as well. I guess I'm not a one car kinda guy...

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2009, 22:40:41 pm »

My pick would be Keith Goss, Mike Billings,Doug Mische 67,and the newest White Karmann Ghia from the Classic with the Porsche Alloys.

Thanks
     Frenchy

Doctor Detail ( Retired )
bugnut68

« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2009, 23:39:03 pm »

And of course Mike's 67 - I would give ANYTHING for that car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wink Smiley

Yeah, Mike's car and DKK Lemonade's '67, and also one pale blue '67 with polished Fuchs (DKK car? it was in Jim's aqua cars thread) gave some good vibes to me, hopefully the vibes materialize to something once the current non-Cal Look project is finished and sold  Cheesy

The early & late Fuchs combination in Mike's car looks really good like in Keith Goss chop-top and I used to hate that kind of a mismatch combination before.

What I would like (besides having the skills and budget too) would be exterior like the cars mentioned above with different interior and the level of detailing current cars have. This link is not to Cal Look car but the build quality is unbelievable; (http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=366837&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 Those smoothed chassis parts would work also in Cal Looker as they look simplier and so much smoother than stock.

Photos aren't coming up for me?  I did see one pic of the engine bay, which was gorgeous!
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: