The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 11:59:12 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350832 Posts in 28603 Topics by 6826 Members
Latest Member: Kona@2528
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Rocker sharfts and shims - whats your thinking??????????
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Rocker sharfts and shims - whats your thinking??????????  (Read 2341 times)
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« on: October 03, 2009, 22:14:19 pm »

As a few of will have seen I am now making some changes to my customers 1915cc type1 motor
http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,10301.0.html

we are moving up to a Engle120/cb performance stock style 1.25:1 rockers and 9mm rhino feet adjusters/3/8th Ali pushrods

BUT my main question is about the shims under the rocker sharfts - There is currently 5.5mm of spacers under both rocker sharfts  Undecided

Now I understand that once heads have been "flycut" for more CR you may need shims to get the correct rocker geometry but is it "good practice" to have soo many shims?
Whats your thinking guys  Huh

Wouldn't it be better to reduce the number of shims and run a shorter pushrod  Undecided

Let me know your thoughts guys  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 02:37:17 am »

With over .200" of shims I would think there must be something quite wrong with your geometry and or pushrod length.
Remember, you must find the proper rocker geometry first, then measure for correct pushrod length.
Have you checked the pattern made by the rockers on the valve tips? That's what I do first ...

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
Lee.C

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 03:23:25 am »

With over .200" of shims I would think there must be something quite wrong with your geometry and or pushrod length.
Remember, you must find the proper rocker geometry first, then measure for correct pushrod length.
Have you checked the pattern made by the rockers on the valve tips? That's what I do first ...

Thanks for dropping in dude - I have been thinking "something" is out/wrong  Undecided

The motor currently has 280mm pushrods - which I think is LONG, This is only a 1915 with a 69mm crank (not a huge stroker) I mean my little 1641 with less cam AND less rocker BUT the same 69mm stroke only needs 277mm pushrods  so surly with more cam and more rocker the pushrods MUST be need to be shorter  Undecided Huh

But I am also in a little bit of a "Catch 22" as how set the rocker geometry WITHOUT knowing the pushrod length Huh and how do I know the pushrod length without doin the valve geometry - do you get what I mean  Undecided Huh should I just use my adjustable pushrod and get a "rough" length Undecided Huh

Smiley

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 12:28:50 pm »

Check this out.

http://www.cbperformance.com/Oct2005.asp

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Lee.C

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 12:56:26 pm »

VERY handy article - cheers dude  Smiley Explains ALOT Wink

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: