The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 15:12:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350873 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  Name that tool
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Name that tool  (Read 11485 times)
Jim Ratto

« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2009, 00:57:54 am »

is it for door hinge pins Phil? Or somethign to do with torsion leaves in beam? I'm stumped.
Tony M

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2009, 01:20:53 am »

Is it for compressing valve springs to remove the keepers ?

Dannys tools - English wheel, punch press, the other one is for hammering metal ? PS nice work shop.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 01:22:45 am by RACE HEAD » Logged

Life is too fast to drive a slow VW
kingsburgphil

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2009, 01:33:35 am »

Since none of the young guys have identified this tool, its time for a seasoned citizen to nail it. So have at it.
Ok, so I guess I get the gold star today.
Rather than use a big pair of Channelock pliers, this tool compresses the clamps that secure the front sway bar to the lower trailing arms. Once
in place you have two hands to install the retaining clip, did I use it very often?, looks tell everything.

Good guess's guys, now it's your turn to show us that weird old VW tool that showed up missing at the VW dealer,
and you bought at the swap meet. wink wink nod nod Cheesy Cheesy  
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 01:49:16 am by kingsburgphil » Logged
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2009, 02:17:03 am »

Just as impressive as the tools, is the thought of having the skills to put them to use!  Much respect and envy to you guys.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
kingsburgphil

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2009, 04:55:10 am »

This one should be a little easier.
Rick Sadler

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2009, 06:01:39 am »

Looks like the wrench that holds the top engine mounting bolt on the early models (before the half moon type bolt) if it is, I think they used to have a magnet inside so you the bolt was held in place while you started the nut in the engine compartment.

Der Kleiner Panzers
kingsburgphil

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2009, 06:56:55 am »

Looks like the wrench that holds the top engine mounting bolt on the early models (before the half moon type bolt) if it is, I think they used to have a magnet inside so you the bolt was held in place while you started the nut in the engine compartment.
You nailed it! This is an early product from Paul "Schley Products", the chain is there to "hang down" and remind me not to leave it on the car. Paul has been a
longtime and generous friend, which reminds me I should touch bases with him next time I'm in OC.
Rick Sadler

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2009, 16:27:33 pm »

You nailed it! This is an early product from Paul "Schley Products", the chain is there to "hang down" and remind me not to leave it on the car. Paul has been a
longtime and generous friend, which reminds me I should touch bases with him next time I'm in OC.
Great idea with the chain! I remember on more than one occasion leaving the wrench (on the bolt) or a small vise grip (on the clutch cable) and having to remember to retrieve them from the car on the next service.

Der Kleiner Panzers
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2009, 19:04:49 pm »

Sorry guys it been a long time since i had a wind up with them so i got to do it. Grin

Can someone name the VW TOOLS.

Hahaha your killing me.........
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2009, 19:38:18 pm »

I know, I know....!!!

Keith Richie and Russell Zoom

Do I get the prize? Huh Cheesy

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...