The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 15:25:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  What does tranny maintenance consist of???
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What does tranny maintenance consist of???  (Read 2882 times)
Brandon Sinclair

« on: December 24, 2009, 20:26:34 pm »

I have an IRS and as far as maintenance goes for me is once in a while I change the tranny fluid.  Is there any maintenance for the trannys (ie like the engines the heads need a valve job every so often), or do you just go until you have a problem.  Also, how many miles have you been able to get out of your tranny before going through it (normal daily driver tranny)?  I think I have 120k on mine and I am starting to wonder.

Thanks
Jim Ratto

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 23:25:08 pm »

I'd look @ CV's and repack, replace boots.
Bruce

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 21:01:49 pm »

Make sure your clutch freeplay is right (10-20mm).  If the clutch is dragging, it will tear up your synchros as they fight the clutch.
Rasser

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 22:47:34 pm »

Make sure your clutch freeplay is right (10-20mm).  If the clutch is dragging, it will tear up your synchros as they fight the clutch.

Same thing when choosing which clutch disc to use. Donīt use the heavy types (black magic etc.), if you intend to help your synchros live long. Most people donīt give this much thought, but in theory light and small clutches should shift faster/easier and not wear the synchros as much.

Ras

For a good time, call:    1-800-Cal-look
1955 type1
1966 type2 13w deluxe
nicolas

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 09:51:28 am »

Same thing when choosing which clutch disc to use. Donīt use the heavy types (black magic etc.), if you intend to help your synchros live long. Most people donīt give this much thought, but in theory light and small clutches should shift faster/easier and not wear the synchros as much.

Ras

intresting observation.

so what would be less harmfull in the end, a stronger pressureplate with a stock disc or a stock plate with a harsher disc (just putting out two extremes here as an example)

Rasser

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 14:15:44 pm »

Ras

intresting observation.

so what would be less harmfull in the end, a stronger pressureplate with a stock disc or a stock plate with a harsher disc (just putting out two extremes here as an example)

Think about what happens when you put your clutch pedal to the floor....  Then the transaxle mainshaft only has the clutch disc "attached", and when you try to engage a new gear then the synchros have to speed up/slow down the gears/axles/clutch plate. Lighter/smaller parts will make the synchros job much easier and it will happen faster easier. IN THEORY.

Again, many people donīt give this much thought. But when you speedshift your gears with a heavy clutch, chances are you will warp/bend/wear your synchros much more than normal use will.

If the small bearing inside the crankshaft (for centering the transaxle mainshaft) is bad, then this will wear the parts too.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 14:19:12 pm by Rasser » Logged

For a good time, call:    1-800-Cal-look
1955 type1
1966 type2 13w deluxe
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 18:42:08 pm »

LOTS OF MAKE UP !

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Speed-Randy

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 03:51:22 am »

I was wondering how long this was gonna take Roll Eyes