The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 19:42:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350866 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Transmisson breather & filling up the bottom ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Transmisson breather & filling up the bottom ?  (Read 2029 times)
Felix/DFL

« on: January 06, 2010, 02:21:08 am »

Hi,

I have got a transmission question. Is it usefull/helpfull to install a breather on the top of the trnsmission?
Always wondered about that, cause when the revs get higher the little hole in the front maybe a bit to small,or?

I want to drill a hole next to the starter and install a little breather like for scooters. I want to support the spot by reapair steel. Maybe somebody has a pic how he solved the problem, or is it no problem?
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

And can I use the repair steel to fill up the spots at the bottom for strenghting? A strenghting gusset for poor man Wink It is not for an all out race tranny so I will not need the welded on gussets...
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

The repair steel I am using is from Weicon and named "Titanium stick". I have made some very good results with it at my work in the prototyp pump development on alu cases, even under oil pressure.

Tranny is an swing axle with LSD and some other strenghting things. Will work with an 2.2l with occasional drag use (slicks)

Greetings,
Felix
Bruce

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 04:24:17 am »

Don't do either.
The stock breather works perfectly in a street car.  The location in the nose cone is ideal because there's no hurricane of oil flying around in the nose cone.  No need to fix what works fine.

Adding some glue to the bottom won't give you much strength.  Weld a gusset or do nothing.
deano

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 04:55:15 am »

The most updated breather port used for the Berg 5-speed conversion is by drilling a hole on top of the transaxle case, above the ring gear, close to where you have indicated. Not sure if it is needed for a normal 4-speed box. Ask Rancho...

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Bruce

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 16:35:32 pm »

The original location for the breather in a Berg 5 was in it's nose cone.  However, due to the presence of 5th gear in the nose cone, it tended to push oil out of it after sustaned freeway driving.  The least worse location is above the diff where it is now because the diff turns at approximately ¼ speed.
The nose cone is still the best location for a 4 speed.
Felix/DFL

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 19:29:23 pm »

Hi,

thank ya both for the input! I will take care that the orig ventilationhole in the nosecone is free and not closed with liquid sealing.

Greetings,
Felix
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: