The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 13:14:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Newbie here to THE LOUNGE............
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Newbie here to THE LOUNGE............  (Read 3245 times)
65bug

« on: March 26, 2011, 16:56:42 pm »

Hello everyone from Sunny So. Cal! I have posted for quite a few years now on the regular cal-look forum. I have a 65 bug that I was working on. I built a 2165 motor with the following components:
1. new case from Cb Performance. Machine work at Berg, balancing, oil pump, full flow, cylinder honing, spot facing etc.
2. New Pauter 78 mm welded crankshaft
3. Pauter cam 268 intake/exhaust 550 lift at valve
4. magnum straight cuts
5. Scat rods( very disappointed with Scat quality, never again)
6. Tims stage two heads. 5 angle valve job. Blend ported cb manifolds. New Mexi heads. Love em!
7. dual 48 dellortos with cb linkage.
8. 1.4 cb rockers, cb two piece lightweight lifters.
9. Mallory Unilite Dist. w/ optical sensor and vacuum advance.
10 merged 1 5/8 header w/ dual quiet packs
11. 9.7-1 compression on pump gas
12. KC trans from Keven close ratio first and second. super diff, all the standard goodies.
        So, I was getting ready for body work and paint. Then on Dec. 12th I was slammed into from the rear. A guy texting in a SUV. Thank God I had it insured for a stated value of 15000.00. I got paid(car totaled) and am working now to fix her. Bought her back for 1,500.00.
        Car was totaled, but a very easy fix. A pic of the car before the accident:

Lot's of money into this motor.
65bug

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 17:17:20 pm »

Motor pic before accident!
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 17:18:02 pm »

Ouch... glad to hear its getting rebuilt! Any pics of it as it is now? Did you get to drive it much before the accident?

65bug

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 17:35:06 pm »

Hi Kafer,
     Here's a pic after of the motor
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 22:00:32 pm »

2 piece Alt Stand  Grin

Welcome to the best traditional Cal-Look site on the web!

Rick

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 22:21:36 pm »

Bummer...I had the same thing happen to me back in "78" in my "66".....I watched the car turn the corner and keep comin...! it was a "68" Impala stationwagon ,Red ...! with a old couple in it ....when it hit  it pushed me into a "71" Plymouth Fury, so I got it from front and rear !...Ins. totalled the car gave me $800.00 I turned around and fixed it again...!...case was cracked at the dizzy ,dizzy was bent, fan housing was pushed back,rear deck was a mess, front hood was gone as well as the front fenders..!...Ended up gettin 4 fenders from Colome Motors,a hood and deck lid also...found a 72 dual port motor complete for $200.00..went down to Autohaus picked up some Kadrons...dechromed the car and I was rollin again ...!

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
65bug

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 11:56:21 am »

Thanks Rick,
        Yes, the chinese alt stand broke off fairly easy. Not hurting my case at all. I also had a chinese doghouse adapter that leaked on my for a few years. Both have been replaced with oem german units.
         It' starting to come together now and looking much better!
    Kaferdog,
          Amazing how the prices have changed in 30 years! I am happy I am getting a chance to fix mine again. I have been into bugs since I was 15 years old. Now I am 45. Seems like now everyone has a beastie motor! In the early 80's they seemed few and far between. Of course, we had no internet then hooking us all up!
         Here's my motor after I striped it down right out of the car. 3-4 year old motor with less then a 1000 miles on it! Just a grocery getter! Its going to be much cleaner now and better looking.
       Thanks
youngnstudly

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 00:44:45 am »

Wow, that's a sweet car! I hope you get it back together and are able to enjoy it...I know you were planning to paint it, but I really like the look of cars that are not painted fancy or too terribly nice-They make my car fit in better with the crowd! haha. I've been rear-ended 6 times in 11 years and (knock on wood) it has never been hit that  hard. I noticed you have the Mallory unilite with vacumn advance and I was wondering how you liked it. I am thinking of getting one for my car but have heard mixed reviews with the vacumn advance units being "too adjustable" (which makes fine tuning very time consuming). BTW, if nobody mentioned it to you, you might want to check the trans case for any cracks or damage that may have happend during the accident. Good luck.

Andy

There may be rocks, there may be chips, but one things for sure...I drive this bitch!
65bug

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 04:30:20 am »

Thanks Andy! Yea, I was the first guy to lower it too! All original! Even the interior! I picke dit up about 5 years ago on ebay for 800.00 with the original 1300 cc motor still in it. With a rod knock!
     I was really lucky with the car on the accident. No major body damage at all. So I am still picking up parts here and there to get it back together. Pretty excited about it! Even at 45 years old, still diggin the cal-look cars..................lol
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: