The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 09:50:43 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350804 Posts in 28595 Topics by 6825 Members
Latest Member: vertvolks
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Has anybody seen it ..?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Has anybody seen it ..?  (Read 3573 times)
Kaferdog
DKK

« on: February 10, 2010, 07:53:12 am »

I was was at work today and on the tv was on "My Classic Car" . Now the volume was off, so i could not hear anything..It looked like a Like a big luxury car from the late fifties with fins ... it had some airplane like controls for wipers and lights ...Never seen one like it ..! then they opened the trunk and it was a what looked like a 36 horse engine with dual carbs ..!!! ...By the time I could get the volume up it was over...!....Has anyone ever seen it ?

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
nicolas

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 16:52:59 pm »

no and i hope to keep it that way  Grin
axam48ida

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 17:05:12 pm »

I was was at work today and on the tv was on "My Classic Car" . Now the volume was off, so i could not hear anything..It looked like a Like a big luxury car from the late fifties with fins ... it had some airplane like controls for wipers and lights ...Never seen one like it ..! then they opened the trunk and it was a what looked like a 36 horse engine with dual carbs ..!!! ...By the time I could get the volume up it was over...!....Has anyone ever seen it ?
It may have been a Tatra. CZ built.....if you read about Tatra's history and how porsche was able to copy ideas and patents
when hilter opened up all the patent rights during his takeover

old bugs never die, they just get faster!!!
Donny B.

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 17:09:33 pm »

Did the car look like this one?

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:VW_Rometsch_Coupe_1959_vr_TCE.jpg

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 19:45:13 pm »

Huh Huh Huh Maybe  Huh Huh Huh

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=315024&highlight=fiberglass+bumpers

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 20:41:22 pm »

Yes thats the car....!!!!...That is it !...Where did you find that ?...and what is it called ?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 20:43:04 pm by Kaferdog » Logged

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 08:09:48 am »

VERY cool car.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 17:21:27 pm »

It was built by Paxton.  Check out the link to theSamba under the pic...some limited info in there.  A very interesting car—all fiberglass including the bumpers.

Those pics are from Pebble Beach I think, but I got a chance to see it when the Porsche Parade was in Hershey a few years ago.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 17:53:56 pm »

Java Thanks ..!  Here's a link with more Pics...http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z9935/Paxton-Phoenix.aspx
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 17:57:06 pm by Kaferdog » Logged

kingsburgphil

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 05:32:23 am »

Here's a pic of a worthless Rometsch coupe that I had for 15 yrs. and finally sold.  Your link/pic, same car, post restoration on display
at the VW museum.

Time and $$$ heals all wounds  Cheesy 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 16:54:58 pm by kingsburgphil » Logged
Fiatdude

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 07:59:01 am »

Paxton is correct -- they were extremely light weight -- all of them were suppose to be steam powered but they engines weren't working out and they ran out of parts -- Well Paxton had bought a 356 and completely disassembled it to pull engineering inspiration for his cars -- when they ran out of parts for the last one -- they took all the running gear for the 356 and installed it this one -- truly a one off car

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 08:20:22 am »

A very interesting story about this car ..!   it not what you would expect to see a motor like that in .....!!!

johnl

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 19:39:33 pm »

Paxton is correct -- they were extremely light weight -- all of them were suppose to be steam powered but they engines weren't working out and they ran out of parts -- Well Paxton had bought a 356 and completely disassembled it to pull engineering inspiration for his cars -- when they ran out of parts for the last one -- they took all the running gear for the 356 and installed it this one -- truly a one off car

Very early on a recent Sunday morning I also saw this show.  Dennis Gage is a bit much to take, but sometimes he has interesting cars and this was certainly one of them.  The info above is correct and about the only thing I can add is that this car is only about 100 pounds heavier than the original 356 as per statements made on that program.

One last thing I learned was that Paxton and McCulloch were both from the same source and these were the middle and last names of Robert P. McCulloch. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_P._McCulloch

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: