The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 02:19:52 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350884 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  What to do with...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What to do with...  (Read 2130 times)
j-f

Jean-François

« on: July 19, 2011, 18:56:37 pm »

I have an engine I bought sometimes ago that I wonder what to do with.
It has been assembled without a lot's of consistency.
It's a 69 * 92mm CW crank and thin wall cylinders.
Bone stock street eliminator heads
w120 camshaft
stock rods
Porsche cooling

I was thinking about a 69 * 94, have somebody doing the heads to build a street and strip engine, a camshaft like a FK10, selling the Porsche shroud (it's a bas with a new Porsche alternator) to go back to T1 cooling and have fun with.
I already have a set of IDA's but not SE manifold for them or a set of 44IDF.
I'm concerned about the cooling of the heads on the street? I think to go the Bob Hoover way to modify the case and improve oil flow to the heads and so the cooling?

What would you do with? Is it a good idea?

nicolas

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 19:46:02 pm »

just my idea when i think about what you like to do and what seems reasonable as a project in the not too distant future.

buy a set of nonwelded heads with 40x35 valves (vw castings) make the 1835 or 1776 OR 1914 if  you are doing the machinework. and use the 44's and have fun. just for looks i would use a type1 setup, the porsche fan is said to keep engines cooler so you can get away with more compression, it is really your choice there. i also would not run an W120, but since you have that use it.

maybe you can keep the heads for a future project (dragrace), but i would sell them and see what i need at that point.

normac67

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 20:06:10 pm »

I have a W120 in my 67 and I was wondering why you advised not to use one. I am not a motor builder so I had the motor built. It is a 74x88 with stock duel port heads,36 Dells, Bugpack standard street header with heater boxes.

Norris
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 20:39:42 pm »

just my idea when i think about what you like to do and what seems reasonable as a project in the not too distant future.

buy a set of nonwelded heads with 40x35 valves (vw castings) make the 1835 or 1776 OR 1914 if  you are doing the machinework. and use the 44's and have fun. just for looks i would use a type1 setup, the porsche fan is said to keep engines cooler so you can get away with more compression, it is really your choice there. i also would not run an W120, but since you have that use it.

maybe you can keep the heads for a future project (dragrace), but i would sell them and see what i need at that point.

I'm more thinking about a street toys than a pure driver to go everywhere, I already have my 68 for that purpose. That's why I was thinking to use the parts I already have and maybe upgrade the engine later to a more strip oriented duty.It will depends how many times a year I can race it.
The best would be a strocker with a bulletproof 5 speed, but I would like to use what I already have  Wink
nicolas

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 08:46:06 am »

I have a W120 in my 67 and I was wondering why you advised not to use one. I am not a motor builder so I had the motor built. It is a 74x88 with stock duel port heads,36 Dells, Bugpack standard street header with heater boxes.

Norris

webcam has a nice cam for a 1776, the 318/119. i had one in my 1776 and it was great. i also am more a fan of a w110, a 120 is in my opinion more a cam for a larger cc engine (more stroke) like yours and bigger.
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 08:56:29 am »

218/119, nicolas Wink

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: