The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 00:51:43 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Muffler choice for 2017cc mill..
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Muffler choice for 2017cc mill..  (Read 3546 times)
bugnut68

« on: April 07, 2010, 23:44:00 pm »

I'm putting the cart wayyyyyyy before the horse here Grin as I haven't even begun putting this thing together yet,  but I'm just curious for curiosity's sake.  Would a merged single QP muffler like what Pertronix/Thunderbird makes be sufficient for the following combo:

78x90.5
Steve/Greg Tims Stage II heads (42x37.5mm valves)
8.5:1 compression
Engle 125 cam
1.25 rockers
Dual 45DRLA Dellortos w/match ported manifolds
1-5/8" merged header

The rest of the specs aren't really relevant to this inquiry, I don't think.

The only reason I ask is that I don't want to piss my neighbors off with a stinger when I'm breaking in the cam on initial fire up and all that good stuff; plus I value my own good hearing, lol.  I have a baffled and non-baffled stinger, but I figure either would be way too loud for running well above idle for 20 minutes plus.  Just curious, I've always liked QP mufflers, and am curious what the performance impact would be for this engine, compared to a set of duals, which only seem to be offered for merged headers by Bugpack (not a complaint, I've always been fond of Bugpack products, and have had good success with them).
Hotrodvw

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 00:00:23 am »

Yeah.......Uhhhh.......I'd really like to see about 10:1 and an FK8 in that combo......... Shocked Grin

I ran that SS muffler from Kymco.  Good pricing, nice quality and fit. 

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

www.ultimateaircooled.com
bugnut68

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 00:54:06 am »

Yeah.......Uhhhh.......I'd really like to see about 10:1 and an FK8 in that combo......... Shocked Grin

I ran that SS muffler from Kymco.  Good pricing, nice quality and fit. 

A stainless steel muffler on my bucket o poop car would be like putting a chandolier in a haunted house.  Lol. 
neil68

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 01:59:43 am »

When I had my previous 2017 cc and 1 5/8" merged header, I ran an A1 Magnaflow DRK muffler available from aircooled.net.  Similar sound to other QP's except when you really stomp on it, then a touch louder...here's a picture:

Neil
Der Kleiner Rennwagens
'68 Beetle, 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 172 KM/H (107.5 MPH)
Dynojet Test:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 06:47:41 am »

1 5/8" for sure, first choice A1 Muff., Kymco, then V-Dub Parts. Other shops, don't know never tried.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Hotrodvw

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 07:20:56 am »

Awww c'mon Ryan, I think it'll look great.   Wink

I bought my header and muffler from Dave Greiner in Orange, Ca.

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

www.ultimateaircooled.com
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 17:57:48 pm »

I'd like to see some more options out there for exhausts. I like the look and symmetry of dual QP's, but I'm not a fan of the sound. I like how the "turbo" mufflers sound, but I'm getting tired of seeing them on every other car. Sidewinders are nice, sound good and have good clearance, but I would hate having to remove the muffler to check the valves! Anyone seen/tried the "Vintage Speed" exhausts advertised on thesamba? They look very well built, and the sound clips are quite pleasing as well... but I feel it's almost too "sleeper" for a cal look car! Roll Eyes How about more glasspacks?? If the proper size is chosen (ID and OD!), they are not loud at all. They have a very nice tone, a simple & clean look (easy to tuck under a fender), and are not restrictive in the least...

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 18:19:29 pm »

I like Maize's muffler. It just says "plug your ears."
bugnut68

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 18:46:19 pm »

I'd be all for the merged single QP muffler if it wouldn't be too big a restriction given my engine specs... also I dont' want to have the "ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch" sound that my single QP and non-merged header on my current 1776 has.  It sounds great under load and going down the road, but I'm not a fan of the chattering idle out the exhaust pipe... not sure if a larger exhaust on an engine with more compression and bigger valves will be any different, but I love the low-toned sound of QPs on a built engine.  I'd eventually like to go with a turbo muffler, but just wondering what the performance difference would be between a merged single QP and , say, a Dynomax turbo muffler.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: