The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 12:59:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  baja beehive valve motor dyno'd
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: baja beehive valve motor dyno'd  (Read 3544 times)
bilboa2

« on: April 14, 2010, 03:08:24 am »

Finally,  After first flanged crank build w/ many learning curves.. 87 x 94, 5. 5 rod ,fk 44 w/ 258 @050 dur, 108 l/c , 548. lift ,1.4 pauter rockers, 9.1compr, 10.cc dished, 44 x 37.5 wedgeports, w/ 7 mm valves and beehive springs. 44idfs,1 5/8 exh, started w/ 38 vent and dynoed at 160 hp. 4500 elevation, NO correction factor.All done at 6500 according to visiting/tuner gary berg, dynoing with ken taber at his fallon, nv shop,my usual weekend 100 mile away destination. Was going to try 48 idfs and a joel mohr 1 5/8-1 3/4-1 7/8 stepped exh, and try to beat a little more out of it but...44 if results are fine. Car is/was also built by joel mohr, has bus box, rear wilwood brakes for added SAFETY..Many thanks to ken taber as dyno needed to be  clearanced for deeper crank and the many learning curves of a first time flanged crank issues. .. AND the patience of having a 2 left handed parts guy to work with.  Thanks ken and gary. bill
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 03:55:25 am »

Cool looking Baja with a very cool motor, good deal Bill. Hows the street car going??

Ted

VW Classic 2012
bilboa2

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 05:32:23 am »

thanks ted, street car is moving along slowly, due to me getting pieces to gab-fab. new ign system update arriving soon.. Wiring, dual coil pack to be hidden etc. New, just finished 356 breather/cap as seen on other posts done. Fabbing of really cool breather box system next. Going to be real close to finish in time for dkp reunion. Motor has been done/dynoed for some time but now dressing up engine tin, new exh, and ?? ...SO FORTUNATE, danny is here in nevada. Fun times at his shop too, watching him on his own projects. He is so talented.Thank god for warmer weather too...Have read about your case venting issues. I  (we) will have a few new ideas to show soon. bill
Jim Ratto

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 16:39:54 pm »

Bill, they don't come much nicer than your car. I'm really anxious to finally see it in person next month.
see you soon,
Jim
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 19:28:21 pm »

Super COOL bill!
With a team like that, you can't go wrong.

Can't wait to see a photo with the boat behind it and headed for the lake. Wink

Street car will be awesome as well ... can't wait to see it.

Take care,
Tom

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
Tony M

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 20:00:42 pm »

Nice to see a Baja on here. Motor sounds very cool. Hope to be in Nevada doing some off roading soon.

Life is too fast to drive a slow VW
Jim Ratto

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 20:12:19 pm »

Which tire are you running in the rear, Bill?
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 20:40:47 pm »

What´s the correction factor for 4500' ?
T
JS

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 23:34:32 pm »

Since I know absolutely nothing about bajas or off-road vehicles in general: What are the lights near the windscreen for? "Backups" in case the mains go out?
Very cool car!

Signature.
bilboa2

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 06:11:05 am »

just got back in from fallon with baja on trailer. First question from jim on tire size of street car front, 155x 15 ,rear radials 195x15, Also have for rear a set of firestone slicks recapped by caldwell tire on a set of 5 1/2 polished fake brms, makes for a real bitchen stance. small lights under windshield area are flood lights for offroad. Had many problems with motor build as original 82 flanged crank , horse traded for,ended up being for an airplane, longer ,thrust issues,starter spaced, dyno bellhousing clearenaced, p.plate machined thinner, after market thicker t/o brng clips tossed. Gary berg had the motor in and out numerous times..Crank was sent to dpr and stroked to 87. Jose said no thanks to similar requests. Longer barrels, clearancing issues EVERYWHERE, I wondered if it was worth all the problems. Then Gary and
i went for a test drive, Holy crap.. Stupid fun in first and second , third is usual drop and driving gets more normal..Gary can drive....duh..Not the most ideal rock crawler set up, preached to me all along form ken taber as his thing, 90x94,berg bus 5 speed,low lobe center still pulls the same lbs on dyno at 2500- 3500. But then my bigger heads step in and vidio driving take over...Baja 1000 contender, kids and cows look out...I really would like a lower/closer third. But then scarier things would happen at higher speeds. Bottom line,big stroker motors are hell,but as they say there is nothing like cubic inches. For all the work and time I should have contacted jeff denham and gone with his bigger cubic inch motors with a fk 43 ?? The motor is still in a detuned state as I found only 36 vents on dyno tune, (ken lied to me on purpose).Timing at 30-31, Trick stepped offroad exh 1 5/8 1 3/4 -1 7/8 with 48 idfs would bring more torque and hp with the big heads.I think the long stroke would allow bigger venturi allowance with out bottom end loss, coupled with short rod working. AS far as altitude and allowance,  3 % per thousand feet is a figure I have heard, Look at 11.90 class and compare #' on different tracks, Anyone?  Can't remember #.s. Gary talked about how he ruled salt lake in his glory days, gear ratios changed w/ more compression, along with his great bakersfield win ratios against v-8s and vw crowd. Great to hang with gary, Not many could have figured all my issues with thrust,tranny,dyno issues/solutions. Good friends for a long time, I remember when we went to see pink floyd " the wall " 30 YEARS AGO.. Came out of the parking lot after the concertand the vw we went in was stolen. L.A sports arena,ign rotor was even taken out,all else,I don't remember.. bill
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: