The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 00:50:32 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  The Beginning
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The Beginning  (Read 2562 times)
Dan Mazur

« on: May 15, 2010, 02:57:49 am »

I remember having taken this photo in 1979. I had just spent over $10,000.00 rebuilding the engine in my 1971 Chevelle SS 454.
My neighbor Paul, had recently purchased this Standard Early Model painted and lowered it. His total cost was under $1,000.00. I remember driving past this car daily and was blown away by how radical the stance was!
My comment was "It's just a stupid bug........but it looks outrageous! It was even more fun cruising in it!
Within one year of this photo, I purchased my '69 Sun Roof and it's all history!
On this day, Paul bolted on a set of Fuchs Alloys and wanted a photo of his car. It was complete and I had to have one!!

Don't worry.  It's mutual.
Worm
DKK

Whose stupid idea was that?

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 03:44:16 am »

SS 454 with Cowl Induction!!!!!  Nice car (both of em').  $10K on the 454 engine?  Wow.  Did you ever run it at OCIR Dan?  How about some ET's eh?

"Pretending to know everything closes the door on whats really there"
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 04:55:44 am »

Great pic Dan!

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Dan Mazur

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 18:12:09 pm »

SS 454 with Cowl Induction!!!!!  Nice car (both of em').  $10K on the 454 engine?  Wow.  Did you ever run it at OCIR Dan?  How about some ET's eh?

No Et's. Never ran it on the track. I just wanted a "drag race ready" engine on the street. 454 bored .30 over. All TRW inside parts. Smog Engine, LS-5. Two bolt mains. It was a sleeper. Edelbrock Torker Manifold, that matched seriously ported heads. The runners were ported and flowed straight into the intake ports. 12.75 to 1 pistons that had to be cut down for street compression. Engle custom cam. Brand new Chevrolet LS-7 Forged Crank & Rods. Balanced & Blueprinted.

That's all I can remember. It twisted the ladder bars and the distributor launched weekly. For a crappy Two Bolt Main engine, it revved and pulled well past 8.5! I could wind it to over 50 mph in first gear. I remember racing my friend who had a small block Chevelle. I had him by several car lengths in first gear. When I told him that, he admitted he had shifted through third!

Sad thing, it was a Numbers Matching car but, I was young and stupid. Traded the car for a Kawasaki Z1-R after a friend borrowed it, launched the distributor and spun the rod caps blue! That was the end of oil pressure!

Tod Fuller has some memories of my Chevelle, ask him sometime!

Don't worry.  It's mutual.
LuftsickTero

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 20:08:13 pm »

Cool photo and awesome cars, both of them  Cool

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 21:19:53 pm »

Nice cars !

DKK TOD
DKK

OLDER THAN DIRT!

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 23:15:55 pm »

Cool By that time,I already had a BB396 67 Chevelle and 71 V8 Vega wagen and when I took this rat for a ride, I almost soiled myself  Shocked !! A big block that pulled hard past 8000rpm.(making power/got what he paid for!!)Also had a M22 4 speed,just plain bad ass/chick magnet.  Grin

Why is it when it rains kittys....I get hit on the head with a dog!!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: