The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 18:45:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  crank timing gear... wow, what a bear.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: crank timing gear... wow, what a bear.  (Read 2565 times)
bugnut68

« on: May 02, 2010, 20:51:50 pm »

Okay, I barely got my old brass distributor gear off without going ape nuts on it.  I heated the holy snot out of it for what seemed like an eternity before I finally got it off of there, but the cam timing gear is absolutely not coming loose.  It's so snug that I wonder if a gear puller will be any easier.  I aim to buy a gear puller regardless, but I figured I'd try it this way to begin with.

Anybody have any insider knowledge that might help me out?  The gears are coming off what appears to be a cheap cast crank, so I'm wondering if the tolerances are different or something.

Also, regarding woodruff keys, is there any difference between the keys sold by VW parts houses and what's available at the local hardware store?  Trying to save shipping if at all possible, but if there's a serious material quality difference then I will wait until my next mail order purchase.
Bruce

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 21:40:49 pm »

You can't get the cam gear off with heat.  The crank's diameter increases just as fast as the gear, so the interference fit remains constant.  You MUST use a gear puller.
It is unlikely your local hardware store will have a metric key.  Order one with your puller.  What's wrong with the one in the crank?

For future reference, any time you use the gear puller, REMOVE THE CLIP!!!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 21:43:58 pm by Bruce » Logged
Type1/DVK

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 22:18:38 pm »

Get a quality gear puller, and use original german keys.  Grin

DDD#8 - 14.74sec @ 1776cc - Member of:  DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers  - www.ultimatevw.nl - and racing engines
besserwisser

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 23:01:09 pm »

About ten years ago I made a tool for removing the gears on the crankshaft. Its two halves that fit under the timinggear and reinforced by thicker metal around the bearing next to the timinggear. I use  my regular press to get the gear of and so far it has removed about 100 gears but is showing some wear. Will probably have to make a new one during this year. The cost is next to nothing so maybe I will post a drawing of it later.
bugnut68

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 23:14:36 pm »

You can't get the cam gear off with heat.  The crank's diameter increases just as fast as the gear, so the interference fit remains constant.  You MUST use a gear puller.
It is unlikely your local hardware store will have a metric key.  Order one with your puller.  What's wrong with the one in the crank?

For future reference, any time you use the gear puller, REMOVE THE CLIP!!!

I was thinking about that as I was making my attempt, Bruce.  I couldn't help but wonder how it could possibly work if the crank was also expanding with heat, lol, thanks for confirming my curiosity.  I've been planning to buy a crank gear puller, anyway, as that's about the only VW engine tool I don't have at this point.  I may just wait to get it and then use the key that's in this crank that still has the gear still on it.
Bruce

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 01:42:08 am »

The reason you were able to get the dist drive gear off is because brass expands at about 3 times the rate of steel.  IOW, get them both hot enough, the brass gear will be loose. 
Jim Ratto

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 17:24:38 pm »

which key do you  need Ryan? I will mail you one,
Jim
bugnut68

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 18:18:22 pm »

which key do you  need Ryan? I will mail you one,
Jim

It's the larger one for the cam timing gear, rearmost on the crank, not the one on the nose of the crank, if that makes any sense.  Grin
Jim Ratto

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 19:03:47 pm »

pm me your address.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: