The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 10, 2024, 00:28:39 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350905 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  engine stand catch pan.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: engine stand catch pan.  (Read 2827 times)
Taylor

« on: June 04, 2010, 20:47:02 pm »

So while disassembling another engine today I decided that I am tired of the little drips of oil on my floor. Newspaper never works and a strategically placed pan always seems to be 2 inches off.

What does everyone else use to keep the garage from turning into Exxon Valdez ?
Jim Ratto

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 20:51:50 pm »

Simple Green and hot water mopped over liberally afterwards. I hate a greasy garage.
Speed-Randy

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 22:05:24 pm »

Put a step stool over the middle bar and place the oil drain pan on top of that. Oe EMPI is selling a stand with a tray for an oil drain pan

Taylor

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 22:09:54 pm »

Yeah the mop thing always works for me too but still leaves spots just no wet marks.  I was thinking of just pouring oil everywhere and mopping it up to leave an even coat  Wink
Brandon Sinclair

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 22:18:01 pm »

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1016/?rtype=10

This may be an option-I like the step stool idea and still just roll it over cardboard and do the work there if I am expecting a leaky problem.
kingsburgphil

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 05:19:37 am »

Ah!  Finally a subject I know something about  Grin

I used a commercial quality (7mm thick nylon) bus tray/tub, the kind used in restaurant kitchens/dishwashers.
Bought it cheap at a restaurant supply house, used it for 25 years and left it behind when I retired. Scrap card-
board always helps as well as a quick steam clean before beginning a teardown on the really filthy ones.

A quick tip regarding oil spots....try to not use brake clean. It can turn oil or grease into penetrating oil,
just what you don't need on porous concrete. Try several applications of Motsenbockers Liftoff #2, available
at Home Depot, as of yet the best I've found to clean oil spots.
youngnstudly

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 20:13:39 pm »

A sheet metal condensate pan with a copper fitting soldered in place. A plastic tray can also work well.

There may be rocks, there may be chips, but one things for sure...I drive this bitch!
Jim Ratto

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 18:49:00 pm »

Hi taylor, if your floor is concrete, get the old style cat litter (not the scoopable kind) and an old bed brick. Pour cat litter on oil spot, then "grind it" into the concrete until it is fine dust with the brick, and soon the spot will vanish. I lived with a guy that ripped VW transaxles apart as a hobby and he was constantly making a huge mess in our garage, but he'd always clean up every last drop with this method. Try it out.
Takes some elbow grease, but it works like magic.

Jim
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: