The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 12:59:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350838 Posts in 28603 Topics by 6826 Members
Latest Member: Kona@2528
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Bug Stopped Running Last Night- NEED to make it to the Classic!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Bug Stopped Running Last Night- NEED to make it to the Classic!  (Read 2669 times)
SO-CAL Speed Shop L.A.

« on: June 12, 2010, 16:47:52 pm »

Car was running perfect yesterday on the way to Nick's Burger- then I left last night and within a block it started missing like it was running out of gas. I have plenty of fuel, pulled over and it would idle, but if I revved it up it would miss really bad. Something I noticed that I never saw befor was condesation on the intake below the carb. (Should say it's a totally stock '67 single port running fine with a new EMPI carb). Called a tow truck and started it and drove it to the hook and it loaded up really bad and stalled out and then wouldn't run.
This is the first time the car has run funny in approximately 1500 recent daily miles. 2 days ago it missed a little and I looked and found the inlet side fuel line weeping on the distributor and relaced it right there and it ran perfect again. So does it sound like something in the distributor is screwed up now from the gas leak? Maybe it's the fuel pump? Something else? Really want to get it fixed for the Classic tomorrow so any advice is great. Thanks Jim

NEEDED!!! Working '67 Door Handle W/Key! Thanks Jim 310/720-6049
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 18:15:33 pm »

sometimes when the engine is cold , the manifold freezes , i've the same with my engine 

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Speed-Randy

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 18:24:07 pm »

1. check if its getting spark
2. check that ALL wires are attached at BOTH ends
3. Check for Fuel to carb( coming out of the hose when cranking)
4.check that your points are not fried
5. check static timing with a test light, just like the idiot book says to
if none of this works, and all of this works but the car doesnt start, then start messing with the carb, do not adjust carb until all this is working, otherwise you just make a bad situation worse

Hecker

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 19:04:55 pm »

Jim, call Bruce !!!
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 19:49:57 pm »

Good luck with your car, Jim. If you're not able to get it running for the VW Classic, and you don't have a ride there, post up and one of us can make sure that you get to the event.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Ben67

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 20:46:54 pm »

Had a similar problem on one of my cars. I would get in the car go to get on frwy about 1mile from my house,car would run to about 50mph then kinda nose over. Turn out to be the fuel out let on the tank. the screen was completely gone & the hose from the tank to hardline was plugged with debris.  changed screen in tank & piece of line from tank to pan, cured   Good luck

Der Kleiner Panzers        http://pursang356.blogspot.com/

"champagne taste...beer money"
SO-CAL Speed Shop L.A.

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 03:37:03 am »

It was the distributor that got messed up with last weeks fuel leak. All fixed- see you all there! Thanks Jim

NEEDED!!! Working '67 Door Handle W/Key! Thanks Jim 310/720-6049
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 06:21:08 am »

Cool deal, Jim... see ya there.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: