The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 16:02:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  A-1 Sidewinder
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: A-1 Sidewinder  (Read 30360 times)
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2010, 02:01:45 am »

Thanks....I will try it ..!!!

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2010, 02:37:06 am »

DKK Steve was the first I saw to run a hidden exhaust. I loved the idea and copied it as soon as I saw it. Cal-Look was like playing poker you don't want to show your hand too soon. The V-8 boys started to pick up on the dual packs so the hidden muffler was an ace-in-the-hole!  Wink  That plus the added ground clearance made it a win-win!

I wish I had some photos of the system on my car. I still have the muffler assembly but the header is gone. I will probably get Tiger to recreate it as closely as possible as it was something that set my car apart from the rest and something I was particularly proud of.
Say Rick, is that the one that came out and back in into a Corvair Turbo muffler and exited like behind the motor somewhere??

Ted

VW Classic 2012
The Action Is Go

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2010, 06:53:19 am »

Say Mark, not to side track my own post, but whats the name of the guy in DKP, he had a real nice black car, sold it, now he has a very cool almost white Type III SQB W/BRM's? If he's on here, do you know his handle? Need to PM him. Thanks Mark

Ted

That's Don Brown, Ted and he's not a computer guy... well, so far anyways.  I've come to like my choice of Tiger's Sidewinder.  It quieted things down and I like the "mystery" of where the exhaust system is.  There's some added vibration from having the muff up under the fender but not enough to cause alarm.

What model Sidewinder is this?
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2010, 04:19:11 am »

Say Mark, not to side track my own post, but whats the name of the guy in DKP, he had a real nice black car, sold it, now he has a very cool almost white Type III SQB W/BRM's? If he's on here, do you know his handle? Need to PM him. Thanks Mark

Ted

That's Don Brown, Ted and he's not a computer guy... well, so far anyways.  I've come to like my choice of Tiger's Sidewinder.  It quieted things down and I like the "mystery" of where the exhaust system is.  There's some added vibration from having the muff up under the fender but not enough to cause alarm.

What model Sidewinder is this?
Oh brother!

VW Classic 2012
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2010, 08:25:07 am »

I think I've used it before..... works great but gave me more of a "Blueish look" than black..? I used to get this paint ( Can't remember the brand) from a local auto paint store but they no longer make it.. that was a "True Black" color also wasn't cheap But was perfect...!......Any others out there ?

Yeah, I've been using this on my current system. Works well.

Mark...Where did you get the Rustoleum High temp at ...?

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2010, 14:08:15 pm »

At any Autozone or Kragen store in my area. You should have no problem finding it at Pep Boys, too, I would imagine. Let me know if you're not able to locate any... I can always buy the cans for you. Your local NAPA store should be able to order 'em, as well. The one near me is very helpful when it comes to ordering paint that I want. Which is where I bought my wheel paint for my 356 wheels.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
team97
DKK

3M TA3

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2010, 15:48:14 pm »

Mine is a std A-1 sidewinder but I made the tip some out the pee shooter hole. Tiger gave me a couple of u-bends then I cut them to make it dump ou the back.

Der Kleiner Panzers III
D.K.K.
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2010, 18:03:37 pm »

At any Autozone or Kragen store in my area. You should have no problem finding it at Pep Boys, too, I would imagine. Let me know if you're not able to locate any... I can always buy the cans for you. Your local NAPA store should be able to order 'em, as well. The one near me is very helpful when it comes to ordering paint that I want. Which is where I bought my wheel paint for my 356 wheels.
Thanks mark ..I will let you know if i can't locate some ..thanks again..!

Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2010, 18:06:55 pm »

Mine is a std A-1 sidewinder but I made the tip some out the pee shooter hole. Tiger gave me a couple of u-bends then I cut them to make it dump ou the back.
Very Nice...!... I love it ...Does having the tip exit out like that keep it a little quieter comin out the back...? as far as inside sound ..?

Rennsurfer

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2010, 18:13:26 pm »

Always dug on Glenn's exhaust on that car. The license plate frame gets extra points, too.

Kaferdog, will do... I need to get to the store and stock up on some cleaning supplies, today. I'll let ya know. How many cans do ya want?

~Sarge
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2010, 02:25:55 am »

Always dug on Glenn's exhaust on that car. The license plate frame gets extra points, too.

Kaferdog, will do... I need to get to the store and stock up on some cleaning supplies, today. I'll let ya know. How many cans do ya want?

Mmmmmm I'm thinkin 2 cans should do it ...!

Rennsurfer

« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2010, 03:38:28 am »

Check your private messages, Kaferdog.

~Sarge
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2010, 04:28:46 am »

Check your private messages, Kaferdog.
                                                         What if he doesn't feel like it?

I also park at Nick's.
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2010, 04:54:53 am »

Thanks guy's for all your input and pic's, placed my order with Tiger today, should be killer, can't wait to get it and get it in. Gotta say, Tiger sure knows his stuff.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Rennsurfer

« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2010, 05:01:53 am »

Cool, Ted... looking forward to seeing what you end up with.

What if he doesn't feel like it?

Well... then no harm will visit anyone and life on this ball that we call Earth shall continue to carry forth, such as it were.

~Sarge
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2010, 07:19:34 am »

Hey Mark..Did my personal message get sent to ya ...?...I'm not seeing it in my Outbox..?..... Huh

Neil Davies

« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2010, 09:27:12 am »

Now this is a variation that I really like. Filling one of the cutouts is a really interesting look for the back of the car. Different, but subtle. Nice one Glenn! Cheesy

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Rennsurfer

« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2010, 13:59:00 pm »

Hey Mark..Did my personal message get sent to ya ...?...I'm not seeing it in my Outbox..?..... Huh

Yes sir... got it. The reason that you won't see a copy in your Outbox is because you probably didn't check the box asking to save you a copy, there. Just replied to yours. Talk to ya soon.

~Sarge
team97
DKK

3M TA3

« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2010, 16:34:51 pm »

Now this is a variation that I really like. Filling one of the cutouts is a really interesting look for the back of the car. Different, but subtle. Nice one Glenn! Cheesy

Thanks Neil, thats what I was looking to accomplish......also the car is a little quieter with the exhaust coming out the back rather than underneath

Der Kleiner Panzers III
D.K.K.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2010, 18:37:22 pm »

had some pictures of it from 20 yr ago, but have since lost them, BUT, my favorite "hot rod" exhaust still is the muffler Mason had on his black car that ran under RH head and exited under RH running board. I was at Classic in 1991 and stood there as he backed the car into it's spot and it sounded like a late 60's formula 1 car.
streetvw

« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2010, 22:58:14 pm »

had some pictures of it from 20 yr ago, but have since lost them, BUT, my favorite "hot rod" exhaust still is the muffler Mason had on his black car that ran under RH head and exited under RH running board. I was at Classic in 1991 and stood there as he backed the car into it's spot and it sounded like a late 60's formula 1 car.

didn't Danny Gabbard have a similar setup on his black low light?
team97
DKK

3M TA3

« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2010, 23:11:21 pm »

I built a couple of those BITD when I had my black KG, I'm not sure if Mason ended up with one of my old ones or made a new one. My goal was to get the exhaust to split and exit the torsion bar holes on the Ghia.........never got to it before the car got stolen

Der Kleiner Panzers III
D.K.K.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2010, 23:15:07 pm »

I built a couple of those BITD when I had my black KG, I'm not sure if Mason ended up with one of my old ones or made a new one. My goal was to get the exhaust to split and exit the torsion bar holes on the Ghia.........never got to it before the car got stolen
we duplicated the Mason muffler on a buddy's '54 oval up in Bay Area shortly after we saw Dave's. In my opinion Dave's car, as mean as it sounds now, sounded even more viscious with that side exit pipe.
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2010, 08:25:28 am »

Lets go back... back to topic

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
qubek

« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2010, 11:05:39 am »

Nice. This is what I would like to do with my sidewinder copy. It should be quieter inside the car that way. With the exhaust tip under the fender, it makes a booming sound that is not that pleasant in a long ran.

As for the exhaust itself, I have chosen it because I don't like the big muffler hanging at the rear. It's just ugly (IMO). I know that sometimes it has to be there. It's like duck tail at an old 911 - it's there because it's needed. And that's OK (with me), But if someone is copying it just for looks, it can lead to result like this:

And isn't cal-look about being discreet and not showing the real potential?  Wink
But I know people are used to big cans hanging at the rear, so this will stay.

Just my opinion

I have repro BRMs and I'm proud! :]
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2010, 05:32:43 am »

Well guy's, I recieved my A1 Sidewinder Friday, it's a work of art. Hopefully will be in this weekend, pending family functions. Below are some pics of the pieces after unwraping them. Muffler ended up to be polished stainless, wanted it black, but I like it anyway, but the rest is black. Will post pics after it's in.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Rennsurfer

« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2010, 05:37:29 am »

Excellent, Ted! You'll love it when you get it all installed.

~Sarge
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2010, 05:44:16 am »

Mark, to be honest with you, I can hardly wait to get it in and out in the street, soooo curious on the sound it puts out and the HP effect. Will sooon find out.  Grin

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2010, 07:53:56 am »

Looks good buddy... Wink....How was the "Party"..?..Sorry I couldn't make it... I was wrapped up in truck repairs ..... Shocked...!!!

qubek

« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2010, 09:15:42 am »

I like the way this...

...part is done. Other manufacturers do this from two parts welded together and the curve is not always that smooth.

I have repro BRMs and I'm proud! :]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: