The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 03:18:43 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350884 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Linkage question
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Linkage question  (Read 12497 times)
Andi/DFL

« on: March 13, 2007, 10:20:31 am »

hi,

right now I'm using the JKM linkage. It's a very nice linkage, high quality and I'm very satisfied with it BUT it looks too modern for my car. I don't like the "CNC machined" finish it has.

I could use this crossbar linkage, that comes with the available IDA-kits. Is it worth to try out, or is this the worst linkage you can get? I pretty much like the look of it, but don't know anything about its performance. I've seen it quite often on IDA setups, tho.
I don't have the linkage at my garage right now, so I just can't try it out myself at the moment.

Cheers
Andi

SilverPig

Alles klar?

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 11:04:28 am »

I know that JHU has some thoughts on push vs. pull. Let's hear them! Smiley

Say hello to my little friend!
Andi/DFL

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 11:31:20 am »

I should mention, that the JKM linkage is also a push linkage.

lowfastbus

WUNDERWAFFE

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 12:12:48 pm »

I like the simple cross bar linkage, it's a bit hard on the gascable and conduct... but haven't got problems with it yet.

http://dragvws.skynetblogs.be
WUNDERWAFFE
The Knuckle Buster
Andi/DFL

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 12:22:13 pm »

is the spring force of the ida's enough to fully pull the linkage back? the JKM has a nice spring, that helps to close the carbs properly and makes sure that your gas cable doesn't stuck :-)

Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 12:31:34 pm »

What SilverPig remembers is that I like the linkages where you takes up "play" in only one direction. Like the CSP set up with IDAs, thats "pull" the whole way.

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Andi/DFL

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 12:41:54 pm »

so if I get you right, you're talking about the CSP bellcrank type linkage and not the crossbar linkage? I used this with my IDFs and as far as I remember it was a "push" linkage, too? Now I'm getting confused :-)
I still have that one somewhere in my garage.

Jon
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 12:45:36 pm »

It depends on your manifolds and the "arms" you install on the carb. It can quite easily become both.
But, yes thats the linkage.

Andi/DFL

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 12:49:59 pm »

ok, I already thought about that. the problem is, when I change it to "pull" it doesn't clear my heater hoses (yes, I need them!! :-)) anymore.

SilverPig

Alles klar?

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 12:57:42 pm »

They seem to clear the hoses quite nicely in your first picture.

Jon
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2007, 13:00:06 pm »

In that picture they "push" Silver...

Andi/DFL

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2007, 13:02:19 pm »

It's not my engine in the picture. If I would buy some lower IDA manifolds it may work. But with the Scat Traks the angle of the rods is not helpful, it is really very close to the hoses.

SilverPig

Alles klar?

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2007, 13:20:52 pm »

In that picture they "push" Silver...

Ah...yes...but of course. My mistake.  Lips Sealed

Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2007, 15:54:27 pm »

As Far as Linkage goes The Berg Fan Housing Mount Linkage is the Best Linkage on the Market. On Center Mount Linkage that use a Bell Crank Type Like Deano and others as the motor heats up and expands the carbs go out of sync same goes for cross bar linkages that go from carb to carb when the motor heats up you get a lot of side to side slop on the cross bar and the carbs go out of sync since the berg is mounted to the fan housing it has no effect on the motor expanding when hot and the linkage rods both push the same weather the motor is hot or cold.

A Note From Berg         

Linkages for VW fan housing mount.

Our linkages are chosen by people who want a linkage that fits and works perfectly every time! Proper pivot axis provides extremely smooth and soft pedal response. The response is so good you will not know you have dual carbs on the car when our copyrighted instructions are followed. Provides full throttle every time, even on early cars. Our linkages feature built in adjustable return springs (springs should never be added to the carbs), adjustable side thrust at hardened steel eyes, ball joints at all ends and an aluminum center pivot with adjustable location for different pedal travel and quickness. Hooks up to the stock cable end at the stock carburetor fan housing hole (FI fan housings require a new hole be drilled).
Adjustments ensure full throttle and smooth operation. Three shaft bearings eliminate bending in the center of the shaft. An adjustable full throttle stop on the cross bar at the arm locations to limit pedal force against the carburetor’s shafts. Prevents bending butterfly shafts. All require stock VW fan housings (or equivalent with coil bracket and fan mounting locations) and come with understandable copyrighted instructions. Originated in 1965. Made in USA by Gene Berg Enterprises

« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 16:02:50 pm by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Andi/DFL

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2007, 16:03:16 pm »

I would love to have a linkage mounted to the fan housing, but
a) I really, really don't like the berg linkage and the way it works
b) my riechert linkage for the fan housing doesn't fit for IDAs, although it may be a good idea to modifiy it. but it's quite rare so I'd better not touch it :-)

Jon
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2007, 16:43:55 pm »

And the Berg linkage needs maintenance to, had they built it using ballbearings it would have worked for ever. Mine got to sloppy (for me)  during one or two years.
In the future I might redo the Berg linkage to get it right. I'm just so glad no one has mentioned the "kinks" in the linkage arms Berg made.

VW always seemed to know what they are doing, and they used the center pivot on the type three. 

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2007, 17:35:10 pm »

I would love to have a linkage mounted to the fan housing, but
a) I really, really don't like the berg linkage and the way it works
b) my riechert linkage for the fan housing doesn't fit for IDAs, although it may be a good idea to modifiy it. but it's quite rare so I'd better not touch it :-)
andi  do you like the speedwell linkage  Huh  this one made the 2 fonctions  Shocked push & pull  Shocked

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2007, 19:06:15 pm »

And the Berg linkage needs maintenance to, had they built it using ballbearings it would have worked for ever. Mine got to sloppy (for me)  during one or two years.
In the future I might redo the Berg linkage to get it right. I'm just so glad no one has mentioned the "kinks" in the linkage arms Berg made.

VW always seemed to know what they are doing, and they used the center pivot on the type three. 
  The Old Berg Linkage did not have any bushings or bearing Suports like the newer Verisons the old ones were metal to metal and  wore the holes out on the ends of the Linkage which then made it Sloppy But the newer verisons are much better ..

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Andi/DFL

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2007, 19:37:34 pm »

speedwell, haven't seen this live. I have to take a look at EBI :-)

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2007, 21:15:54 pm »

ok no problem andi :-)

ESH

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2007, 21:18:34 pm »

...had they built it using ballbearings it would have worked for ever. Mine got to sloppy (for me)  during one or two years...

I had the exact same problem with my old Berg and now have a GWD though I need to switch that as it doesn't work so well with my current IDA / manifold combination. The expansion problem isn't too accute with the GWD, whilst it certainly does expand it hasn't proved to be a problem in terms of synchronisation / general running.  The issue with the manifolds and the fit is one of the things I currently need to address on the car. I like the GWD, the quality is great but given my current problem with it maybe I'll take a look at one of the new improved Berg ones. I have to say the performance of the last old style one was, over its lifetime pretty underwhelming compared to the hype, always reminded me of a large crane. I should say pretty much every other Berg product I have has been great but the linkage, whilst not bad is not quite what I thought it should be.

Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2007, 21:22:09 pm »

I am using a push linkage aka DDS.  Haven't set it up yet so will wait and see!!

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Jon
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2007, 23:58:19 pm »

My Berg linkage was bought in 2002 or something, but I guess its old by now... its just metal to metal anyway.

Bryan67

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2007, 03:00:41 am »

Does anyone have the link to those adjustable ends for the Berg linkage rods? I know someone that could use some.

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2007, 06:54:32 am »

Im not a fan of the Berg linkage either. Also, who wants to bolt a piece of angle steel to their fanshroud?? Blech!! Wink

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Jon
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2007, 09:31:55 am »

Does anyone have the link to those adjustable ends for the Berg linkage rods? I know someone that could use some.

I used the adjustable ends AND carb leavers of my Tayco with the Berg linkage. I used the leavers because, as we all know, when the angle are 90° the operation is at it most accurate, I don't need accurate operation at half to full throttle. With the Tayco parts it was at the most accurate between idle and half speed, perfect for around town.

Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2007, 23:53:19 pm »

Berg Linkage has been around since 1965 So I Dont Think it can be to Bad It was the Linkage most perfered by the Old School Cal Look Guys ,The Linkage That Was Used Most In the Day On an IDA motor if you used Short Manifolds they used Deano,ARPM,Race Trim center pull linkage if you used tall IDA manifolds they Used Original EMPI , BERG, Or Tayco Linkage or if you could get the Guys at FAT Performance to make you a custom set like on Keith Goss's Chop Top the early berg linkage had the angle iron at the top and had a piece welded to it that went down to the bottom fan housing bolt and was painted a med blue hamertone..

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2007, 10:00:57 am »

just one question who made the first??? speedwell or berg  Shocked they 're similar and built in the same period 65 , the sprintkit was in the empi motoring guide  at that time in 65  Huh

Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2007, 20:14:42 pm »

Andy, to my (humble) opinion... Use what you have installed, because it works...

Done ? Not Yet.
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2007, 20:17:55 pm »

Should be Andi, (sorry), Never buy the hex bar crap, one carb always leads the other. I found that the bellcrank or CSP system works best. Who cares if the engine revs 100 rpm's more when expanded. Good for your fan !

Done ? Not Yet.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: