The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 16:17:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Large engine and late box in stock bodied oval - Haelp/advice pls
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Large engine and late box in stock bodied oval - Haelp/advice pls  (Read 1919 times)
Stu57Rag

« on: October 07, 2010, 12:22:59 pm »

Hi, first post on here!!

i have had vws for the last 15 or so years so know my way around them but am now venturing into my largest project and the world of Speed!!

I have a 57 Ragtop which needs vast amounts of work, however a coule of questions i have come up with with regard to the engine and box are:-

1. i have heared stories over the years that to fit a larger engine in an oval, you have to "modify" the engine bay. i assume this is due to the longer stroke, as the bay only being designed for a 1200cc?

Is it as simple as replacing the side trays with later ones???

2. Gearbox - whats the best way to put a late box into an early car, but retain the short axles?? - also how do i mount a late box on an early chassis?? heard things about using split bus nose cones and hockey sticks?? correct??

appreciate any help any of you can give!!!

looks like i am in the right place as there are some serious cars on here!! Grin
there
Speed-Randy

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 16:06:11 pm »

Hit up Danny Gabbard, he will tell you how to modify your engine bay, or, if you drop it off, he will handle the modifications. you will not be disappointed in the craftsmanship

JS

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 18:35:52 pm »

As far as I know, the ´58 has the same engine compartment as the earlier ovals.
My 2276cc engine uses the shorter Porsche 912 rods. Fit inside the engine bay is no problem at all.
I mounted my prepped box only by fitting a early type2 nose cone. The only difference is that the angle of the trans/engine is altered a little.

Best of luck on your project!

Johnny.

Signature.
karl h

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 07:06:16 am »

if you want to be able to run heaterboxes you have to modify the sheet metal above the tranny (where the rubber lip that seals the engine compartment goes)
on all cars that have non fresh air heating this part extends down more than on later cars. i crafted a later piece in on my oval, so the rubber chanel is there
it works without mods if you use j-tubes
my oval has the eighth engine at the moment, the largest was a 82X101.6 waterboxer and i had never had clearence issues. it all depends on stroke and rodlength combined with the compression hieght of the pistons
i used 5.6 rods and J&Es that where a bout 10mm shorter as a 90.5B and the engine just slipped in (i hav a removable apron)
for the carbs interfering with the body i have had the most problems with kads on a stock 1600, they barely fit. 52 with short bergs (no aircleaners Grin) were no problem. best fit are the TWM throttlebodies (DCNF style)
HTH

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: