The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 15:55:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Dropped Spindles for Bay Busses...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Dropped Spindles for Bay Busses...  (Read 31584 times)
mychatype3

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2010, 20:39:54 pm »

Mychatype3,

Your bay window sits perfect!  Just what I envision with mine when done.  You've done a very nice job on how it sets and the overall look wtih the alloys. I have FUCHs for mine as well.  I may email you direct for some input.

Rick M

Thanks, if there are any questions let me now  Wink

My beam is narrowed 2,75cm a side and the fuchs are 5,5x15 (165/65/15) up front and 6x15 175/70/15) rear
Greetings from the Netherlands, mycha

1968 fastback "in resto"
1970 Westfalia from the States
Jesus

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2010, 00:03:37 am »

http://www.slamwerks.co.uk/

http://www.creative-engineering.com/

http://transporterhaus.de/

http://www.bugwelder-shop.com/t2dshop/product_info.php?info=p33_Dropped-Spindles--Ball-Joint-type.html

a few more links!

@secondcomingsinglecab on Instagram
Second Coming Single Cab on Facebook
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2010, 14:26:39 pm »

Jesus,

THanks for the resources.  I really like how Transporterhaus has done their spindles.  Looks like Type 2 detectives did the same thing. Glad to know there are some good resources out their to give a Bay Window the right stance and ride.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
rick m

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2010, 16:24:46 pm »

Are there any US companies doing the dropped spindles for bay buses? Kind of a hassle to have to ship everything to the UK and back again if I don't have to.

RM

Rick Mortensen
bmxnut65

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2010, 17:14:48 pm »

Call Russ @ Oldspeed (562)531-4190, he is located in Paramount. He should have everything you need

Der Kleiner Panzers
Transporterhaus

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2010, 18:22:41 pm »

Are there any US companies doing the dropped spindles for bay buses? Kind of a hassle to have to ship everything to the UK and back again if I don't have to.

There is only 2 firms making the flipped ball joint spindles - Transporterhaus in the UK and Kieftenklok in Holland.  All other bay drop spindles are welded.

Jesus

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2010, 19:16:07 pm »

http://www.wagenswest.com/

http://www.kustomcoachwerks.com/spindles.php

Isn't one of these guys making a set yet?

viNce

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2010, 13:16:26 pm »

Also considers Vintage-Autohaus in France, very pleased with my setup (4.3" narrowed beam, dropped spindles, and adjustables spring plates)

VA spindles are a CNC part bolted and welded on the original spindle, they also convert from 5*112 to 5*130

« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 13:21:40 pm by viNce » Logged
Transporterhaus

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2010, 13:21:33 pm »

All the bay window drop spindles made in the US are welded.  Welded spindles are not popular in europe.

rick m

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2010, 01:10:31 am »

Jesus,

Do you have an idea what shipping spindles and a set of your modified trailing arms runs from Europe to 85361 in Arizona?  I am not a fan of trying welded spindles on a bus.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
T.Fabs

« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2010, 06:31:16 am »

I use some Vintage Autohaus spindles on my buses!
http://www.vintageautohaus.com/prod-fuseedecalee.htm
 Grin Grin Grin
Rick, for any price or help with french, you can send me a message.

Proud Member of the Der Kleiner Panzers.
Berger

www.bugrent.no

« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2010, 07:31:48 am »

Jesus,

Do you have an idea what shipping spindles and a set of your modified trailing arms runs from Europe to 85361 in Arizona?  I am not a fan of trying welded spindles on a bus.

Rick M

I would be more sceptically to run my bus hanging on the balljoints then with welded spindels....but of course, that may be because I have welded spindels and have run with them some ten thousand kilometers now  Wink

This is my simple religion:
-Be cool
-Don't be an asshole
rick m

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2010, 06:59:23 am »

Hey Fabs,

I tried your hotmail address an the server kicked it back. Try me at my usedvwbits@gmail.com.  I looked at the dropped spindles on your site. I did not realize the transporterhaus spindles had the Ball Joints reversed until I went back and looked at them. 

The van I am building is a 74.  Let me know a little about the spindles on the link you posted.  They look to be of good quality. Do you know if they kick out the track wider? Also, what type of caliper are they made for (VW Bus or other)?

Look forward to your message. Email me and I will respond.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Jesus

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2010, 09:54:20 am »

I have no idea how much it'd be to ship them to you, but LOTS probably as they are seriously heavy plus being quite bulky.

I have run welded drop spindles for probably 20,000 miles (been on almost 4 years) It does widen the track which is why I run a narrowed beam, The flipped over balljoint's seem to work, but to me look just so damn wrong, They scare me more than welded spindles do. (and when I did my van they weren't on the market) Lets be honest as long as they are welded properly whats the issue? Our front beams are held together with welding!!! People are only worried about welded spindles as originally you couldn't buy them so they were home brewed items, now they are done properly I don't see what the issue is!

The reason people favour the flipped spindles now is it doesn't widen the track, so although the spindles cost more than the welded you don't have to go down the narrowed beam route. much more suitable if your only going for a small hit with the lowering stick.

Below bus is running the flippped drop spindles on a standard ball join beam with stock disc brakes and a one spline lower at the rear. (spindles are Kleft en klok or T2D ones)

If you want a really low bus the best way to go is to go for a King and Link pin split beam as they give you more ground clearance.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 09:58:03 am by Jesus » Logged

Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2010, 13:48:05 pm »

FINALLY! A picture of a properly/tastefully lowered Bus with an eye pleasing stance.

Now THERE'S a Bus that I could proudly drive (sans whitewall tires). The current fascination of "slamming" (barf) a Bus is hilarious, entertaining, and unsafe. But whatever people think is cool, I suppose.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 14:26:51 pm by DKK_Fred » Logged

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Old Speed

« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2010, 17:50:43 pm »

this is a 68-70 2 inch dropped .200" narrowed spindle.  It fits with drum brakes and also with our 944 brake kit

« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 17:54:42 pm by Old Speed » Logged
Old Speed

« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2010, 17:55:07 pm »

Old Speed

« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2010, 18:02:43 pm »

The disc brake version is very similar but cheaper to make because it doesn't require as much work or material.  the 68-70 are $400 exchange and the 71-79 are $350 exchange.  Shipping inside the U.S. is $25
I don't think anyone else is currently making a narrowed spindle. The fact that we narrow the spindle is why we can only get 2 inches of drop. The lower ball joint stud will interfere with the inside of the rim at more than 2 inches unless you widen the spindle or flip the ball joint over. This method maintains stock steering geometry and ride height. They are also corrected for caster angle for better handling. Vee grooved and tig welded.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2010, 18:09:31 pm »

The fact that we narrow the spindle is why we can only get 2 inches of drop. The lower ball joint stud will interfere with the inside of the rim at more than 2 inches...

Is that with the stock 14" rim? Can you get more drop out of a larger diameter wheel? Or am I missing the point?

I do like that yellow/white bay. That's the stance it should have had from the factory.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Old Speed

« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2010, 18:11:10 pm »

This bus has 2 inch drop spindles and adjusters.  It also has four wheel 944 brakes and a 7 inch power booster.  The 944 kits are bolt on kits that we make in house and allow you to use your own 944 parts or bet complete kits from us. We also have Wilwood disc brake kits.
This bus also has a type 1 five speed trans and an 86 x 94 engine. It has a tow hitch and makes frequent trips from Long beach to Laughlin with and without a trailer.
Old Speed

« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2010, 18:14:30 pm »

The fact that we narrow the spindle is why we can only get 2 inches of drop. The lower ball joint stud will interfere with the inside of the rim at more than 2 inches...

Is that with the stock 14" rim? Can you get more drop out of a larger diameter wheel? Or am I missing the point?

I do like that yellow/white bay. That's the stance it should have had from the factory.
Yes with 14 inch wheels. It would be possible to make more drop with larger diameter wheels. However, my jigs are currently set up for 2 inch. I can make new jigs if demand is high enough. An adjuster can be installed on the lower tube without removing the beam so that is how we get more drop or we remove the beam and put adjusters top and bottom for even more.
Old Speed

« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2010, 18:18:13 pm »

This one has drop spindles and a relocated center on the bottom tube. It also has rear drop plates for a smooth ride.
Old Speed

« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2010, 18:23:14 pm »

this is a type 3 two inch drop spindle but it gives the picture of how the jig maintains the ball joint locations
Old Speed

« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2010, 18:31:48 pm »

Slightly off topic.

This is a 4 inch early split bus spindle receiving a 944 spindle point for a non flipped drop and 944 brakes. We used to replace the bay spindle point with a 944 point but the spindle got wider and adversely changed the inclination so we quit doing them that way for now.  From all the different methods we've tried on bay windows, by far the best steering and handling spindle is the 2 inch drop narrowed spindle.
roland

lates are the new splits...

« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2010, 18:43:13 pm »

this is a 68-70 2 inch dropped .200" narrowed spindle.  It fits with drum brakes and also with our 944 brake kit

Russel,

That looks quite different from the spindles I bought from you a couple of years ago. I'm guessing the design evolved, wich is a good thing!

My van has had these spindles, adjusters on the beam, the 4 944 discs brake conversion and i'm very happy about the set up!

Glitter don't make you faster.
rick m

« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2010, 20:43:52 pm »

Where is OLD SPEED located?  I am making a trip to Cal in January.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2010, 00:13:30 am »

Right on. I got to see that Bus in person, three years ago, when Old Speed installed my drop spindles. Nicely done, throughout.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2010, 00:50:28 am »

Rick , There in the paramount-belflower area.

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
T.Fabs

« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2010, 05:48:48 am »

Rick,

Here is OldSpeed address: Old Speed 7311-A Madison Street Paramount, CA 90723 (562) 531-4190
Ask for Russell, he's the MAN!!!

Proud Member of the Der Kleiner Panzers.
rick m

« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2010, 21:49:10 pm »

Thanks Fabien! Happy Birthday too!

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: