The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 03:15:21 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350884 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Heater channel closing panels question
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Heater channel closing panels question  (Read 2917 times)
Doktor

« on: December 06, 2010, 23:39:55 pm »

c/p from The Samba forum

Hello ,

My VW Bug from 1970 is under major restoration work, and like many cars from that year need new heater channels.
I sourced original German ones without bottom closing panels, and I plan to install reinforcement rails used on Karmann cabriolets for additional strength.

My question is - do I need to buy both parts - heater channel closing panels and reinforcement rails, or just reinforcement rails ?

This:

This:

Or both, that is the question now... Cheesy

Thnx for answers in advance !

dr.aircooled
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 00:18:10 am »

If you can find some original vw cabrio ones " good luck with that " they came as a whole sill panel complete with strengthener .
But if your going down the CSP strengthener route these are designed to be attached to a sedan heater channel with the sill in place .
I had some of these for a project of mine and they are very well made and strong  Smiley
Gunters the best guy on here to advise you  Wink

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
Doktor

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 10:21:07 am »

Thank you Black Sheep !

I will go with CSP route style strengthner, as they are available in my country and my good friend is official dealer for CSP in Croatia... Cool

If anybody has some more good advices, please feel free to post it here !  Wink  Smiley

dr.aircooled
Gunter

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 11:08:56 am »

Gunters the best guy on here to advise you  Wink
 Smiley

thanks if help needed or advice just mail me at gh@csp-shop.de

thanks for the kind words
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 12:56:33 pm »

I would go with Wolfparts for the closing panels. Haven't looked into the reinforcements yet, so no tip from me on them.

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Doktor

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 14:04:41 pm »

Closing panels are not a problem (Hookeys panel shop or Klokkerholm) and I allready have reinforcement rails...  Wink
As from metal thickness, Klokkerholm is very good, but pressings are not good as originals. Still better than Brazilian made parts... Cry
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 14:17:14 pm by Doktor » Logged

dr.aircooled
Solexine

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 03:24:23 am »

Hello Doktor  Cheesy

About the subject, I have make the job on my 67 sleeper project, with almost all the stuff/ panels/parts available on the market: rails reinforcement/ sill strengthener convertible, reinforcements for B-pillar, reinforcements front leg room (this ones with some problems) and a little manual labor to adapt this, and of course bodywork.

I need to be honest...sometimes it's had be some difficulties to adapting some parts.
 Some pics
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 03:45:14 am by Solexine » Logged
Solexine

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 03:29:29 am »

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
lowfastbus

WUNDERWAFFE

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 12:23:24 pm »

Why would you do this to a sedan?

http://dragvws.skynetblogs.be
WUNDERWAFFE
The Knuckle Buster
Solexine

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 12:49:38 pm »

To try to have more rigidity without passing by the installation of an roll-bar. Good or bad idea, I know nothing about it, I would see:)
 I saw it has been a short time (2 or 3 weeks ago) this reinforcements  and modifications to stiffen are made on some German Look cars.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: