The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 14:52:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350838 Posts in 28603 Topics by 6826 Members
Latest Member: Kona@2528
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Alternator offset held out by the tin behind it??? Anyone run in to this?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Alternator offset held out by the tin behind it??? Anyone run in to this?  (Read 1708 times)
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« on: March 13, 2011, 09:16:31 am »

Has anyone run into an alternator sticking out 3/16 to a 1/4 from the alternator base when using an after market 36hp shroud with the Dog House on it?  I went to finish up the additions on my new motor and check out the fan belt alignment and the alternator pulley is out 3/16 from the stock alternator stand (where it normally sets against it) and the belt alignment is way off!

I have never run in to this and I am curious if anyone else has and what they did.  I already have all my tin powder-coated, parts made and the engine ready to finish up. Is there a different breast plate that goes behind the alternator that still allows me to use the larger doghouse fan in this after market shroud?  This one has me a little stunned.

Would love some input on this one. It has currently stopped my engine install plans.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 12:46:34 pm »

Rick,
Post some photos if you've got them.
I had minor issues that I was able to sort with adjustment way back back when ... only about 1/16th, but enough to flip the belt everytime over 7000.
Is your stand new or original? Same for the alternator backing plate(s)?
Hmmm ...
1/4" is crazy.
TxT

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 08:11:44 am »

Tom,

The alternator stand is a stock original German piece. The tin behind the alternator could be after market.  It was a chrome one I had hanging around. The odd thing is that I took it off my old 1915 driver motor and it fit that motor fine.  Even had the same fan shroud. Go figure.  I visited my buddies at CE today and Dan has had laser cut spacers made for the crank to space out the pulley...since running into the same thing himself with after market parts.  Not my preference but I am up against a deadline to have the car running a week from this coming Saturday.  I will take a shot when working on it the next couple days and post the shot.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: