The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 04:47:06 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350885 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  My '65 has been begging for a change- 356 Outlaw style!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: My '65 has been begging for a change- 356 Outlaw style!  (Read 4732 times)
Matt Tobias

« on: February 17, 2011, 03:54:38 am »

Its been Cal-look since I bought it, and will remain fairly so, but I'd like to add some outlaw 356 touches to it.

I've separated the body from the pan to refurbish the chassis and I'm trying to figure out my game plan.
Staying the same
stance
2276, 9.5:1, K8, Mike Fisher ported SE's, IDA's, definitely a nice driver motor
guages, hurst shifter

new
Poly bucket seats with comfy black upholstered covers
silver 67 wide five slotted rims(4.5" front and 5.5" rear) with aluminum coated brake drums
new carpets
narrowed beam to keep at stock front track width with the CB dropped spindles
thats all I've figured out for now, I'm going to stick with the paint color I already have, but there maybe some changes, not sure what yet.

So if any of you have any pics of bugs done up Porsche outlaw style, I'd love to see them!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 04:12:35 am by Matt Tobias » Logged
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 13:33:06 pm »

in the absence of any replies, i thought i'd shine my light on this one, for what it's worth. Grin
i don't have any pics of 356 outlaw-ish lookers, but i suppose you should consider leather straps to secure the front hood. incorporate a 356 grille in the decklid and weld up the dash and install 3 cool gauges behind the steering wheel.
wide five slotted rims will look cool, too. but don't go too big and little on the tyre choice. 155 and 185/70 is a good choice.
and maybe incorporate some 356-ish blinkers in the front wings?
good luck!

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 14:56:50 pm »

x2, plus don't rake it ! Remove all un-necessary crap out of the car, headliner, carpet, radio etc. sand smooth and rattle can everything, get a good suspension and replace those dangerous rubber oil-lines with Earl's. Then maybe a home fabbed cage ?
Good luck!

PS. and get a hold of every Carrera Panamericana DVD you can get.

Done ? Not Yet.
61SNRF

Der Selten Kafers Charter Member

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 07:36:34 am »

There were more than a few Outlaw 356's at the recent Porsche Treffen at the Phoenix Club in Anaheim. Sorry I didn't get any pictures. There may be some on the web somewhere.
Most all had the 5 1/2's in the front too because I think they are supposed to emulate early sportsman road racers. That would make a major difference in the overall look. You could keep it low in the front but drop the back a little too. A  little more towards handling than drag racing.
They don't usually use any bumpers at all either. You might get away with the big curved t-bars from the era, but I don't think the Cal-look T-Bars will pull it off as well.
A tuck-a-way exhaust with twin exhausts out the stock openings would be most like a Porsche. For a major effect you could fill the stock pee shooter holes and move them out to the fenders Cool A lot of them ran glass packs on tuned exhausts in the early 60's too.
Some of them carried the fitted luggage in the rear compartment, but you may forgo that as far as whats cool to me Roll Eyes
Of couse you can outfit the interior like any sports or GT car, which a VW is anyway Grin
Some had too much stuff, like fog lights, big rally badges across the hood (bonnet), Mobil oil Pegasus stickers on the front quarters etc.
It's okay to go with a satin paint job as well it seems, there was one very attractive pre-A with a semi-flat but fresh paint job that had a real clean uncluttered look.
I think if you keep it simple and purposeful, it can be pulled off.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 07:44:29 am by 61SNRF » Logged
wolfswest

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 11:50:21 am »

not much support here but I like the idea! 
I like outlaw porsches, so if done right it will look awesome on a beetle too I guess.
and with a mean type 1 IDA engine you probably have more hp then most outlaw 356's out there!  Cheesy

lower it all around, 356 silver satin wheels, exhaust in the middle?, 356 speedster seats, 356 gauges and steering wheel, rollcage, maybe some graphics painted?

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 12:51:47 pm »

If you put yourself in a circut track mood, i think it will look awsome in the end. Adding porche stuff doesent make the car faster, or lighter. One think I would have done in your shoes is to cange to long studs to faster change the wheels during a race. AC Cobra nerf bars would also come in handy, as they let you lift the car quick.

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Matt Tobias

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 22:19:12 pm »

All great ideas guys, thanks for your input.  My idea is not so much to use porsche parts as it is to just bring the outlaw style to my cal look car. 
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: