The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 01:43:16 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351082 Posts in 28639 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  any... WOW experiences out there ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: any... WOW experiences out there ?  (Read 5894 times)
Rasser

« on: April 09, 2007, 10:53:50 am »

I my self, just had one the other day.

After searching for a berg shifter (finger grip) for several years, I got a call the other day from a fellow vw enthusiast who knew I had been searching for that exact shifter. He now wanted to sell it - and 1½ hours later money/shifter changed hands  :-)

I have never ran anything else than stock shifters in my car, but I have to admit that I never thought the difference would be this extreme...  but it was! The Berg shifter is so smooth and precise that it´s hard to understand how i could drive around with a stock shifter all these years.

Feels great to have a shifter that not only looks great, but also works really great.

Woooow

(Had similar wow experiences when i changed from my 34hp 1200 -> 150hp 1914  -   actually that was more "shocking" than "wow" ;-) )
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 10:55:32 am by Rasser DK » Logged

For a good time, call:    1-800-Cal-look
1955 type1
1966 type2 13w deluxe
DeanoVW

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 11:10:40 am »

I was lucky enough to get a ride in Bill Schwimmers '59 ragtop a few years ago. WOW!!!   Shocked Shocked Grin Grin

I got a lift from Dairy Queen to his house to pick up a licence plate frame he was selling. We went round one corner nice and slow and Bill says all calm like, you might want to hang on now. The noise and the acceleration were awesome, I have not been right since then!

Thanks Bill,,
Dean.
lofty1971

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 20:52:57 pm »

The first time I drove my 58 standard with a crash gearbox and cable brakes was a WOW experience....... Grin
alfie the monster

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 09:10:18 am »

Imagine how Seedo and I felt driving it all the way back from Germany then Lofty  Shocked

JG54 Grunherz
lofty1971

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 09:14:46 am »

Imagine how Seedo and I felt driving it all the way back from Germany then Lofty  Shocked

I imagine it was an 'OH S**T' experience  Cheesy
Alan Uyeno

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 09:41:49 am »

New quaife in my new transmission setup. With my old 220 treadwear tires as I hit 2nd gear going straight in the dry my car went sideways  Shocked   (wow) new stickier street tires were installed immediately. Even with the 225/50/16's on my 16x7 fuchs  I had more of a "WMP" (wet my pants) experience as it just started to sprinkle and going around a corner I almost did a 270 degree spin.

I'm not sure how tracks operates in the US and other parts of the world but in my area they've really never let sport compacts run agains v8's.  Last summer a bunch of the ACVW crowd were allowed to run with the outlaw class (v8 w/ slicks) because we brought to attention that the sport compact imports were tracking water to the rear wheels of the beetles tires causing traction issues and may cause safety issues to the track employees. It was a friday night street drag night (DVKK drag day)  and Bruce Tweddle spoke to the track official to deliberately make my little 65 pumpgas beetle run against the owner of MOPAC autoparts(similar to a "summit" parts store in US) in his highly modified Mustang (he was tweeking it so I dont know if he was fully prepared either) . George (owner of mopac) looked over his shoulder at my car and kinda smirked.  The crowd went nuts!!! I'm thinking not "wow" but "oh great" (sarcasm under my breathe). My car wasn't making the power is was suppose to that summer so I was already not happy with the performance of my pumpgas street car.

http://members.shaw.ca/acvolkswagen/DVKKDragday2006.htm

it was a "wow" experience for me since that smirk was wiped off his face pretty quick. Just think I was down on power too!!

« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 09:55:35 am by Alan Uyeno » Logged
ESH

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 09:52:58 am »

New quaife in my new transmission setup. With my old 220 treadwear tires as I hit 2nd gear going straight in the dry my car went sideways  Shocked   (wow) new stickier street tires were installed immediately. Even with the 225/50/16's on my 16x7 fuchs  I had more of a "WMP" (wet my pants) experience as it just started to sprinkle and going around a corner I almost did a 270 degree spin.

Sounds like more fun than a swingaxle unloading! Grin
alfie the monster

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 10:35:22 am »

First time I went out when my 2109cc motor was installed was a wow moment. Another was after the ida's were fitted and I knew that all of the money was worth while  Wink

Going out in Randy's beast last week was more of a 'oh shit this is what mine's gonna feel like' kinda moment  Grin

JG54 Grunherz
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 11:07:14 am »

Mine was sitting in a passenger seat of Camaro Pro-Modified as it left the line on it's way to a 200+mph pass. Hearing 200+hp of nitors-injected V8 at 7000rpm, the kick in the back as the Lenco slammed into second, the tug on the harnesses as the parachute hit... Wow! indeed...

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Sarge

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 19:15:09 pm »

My wife and I enjoyed 20 years of "WOW" in the sand...the biggest being the day the throttle hung open while blasting up a steep hill....YIKES!!!  Cal-Look wise, the day I got the 2017 stuffed into the 67 was a WOW for sure!  Grin Grin

DKP III
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2007, 17:42:42 pm »

Your welcome Dean, that car has corrupted a few people...
  As for my wow experience it would have been when I drove the Black Magic pro turbo sedan on the street in the late 80's. I was used to my  N/A motor in my oval I had @ the time and that turbo car just took my breath away.I could'nt believe how hard it accelerated. I am still a 2 carb guy ,but they don't quite scare you like that.  Later Bill

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2007, 18:29:16 pm »

I was a passenger in a 9 sec 3 series BMW last year (street car), at 28 psi it had around 700 horses... and a bit of WOW effect to...!!!  A weaker man could have converted to Turbo there and then  Wink

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
SOB/RFH

Have fun!!

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2007, 07:42:43 am »

Nitrous oxide........first time beaten by a nitrous car was like my car was standing still and I could walk out of it (12 sec Chevelle) and the first time with nitrous.....was like I had en extra motor comming in!!!! Cool stuff!!
Cornpanzer

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2007, 02:46:24 am »

Your welcome Dean, that car has corrupted a few people...
Yep, add me to the list.

As for my wow experience it would have been when I drove the Black Magic pro turbo sedan on the street in the late 80's. I was used to my  N/A motor in my oval I had @ the time and that turbo car just took my breath away.I could'nt believe how hard it accelerated. I am still a 2 carb guy ,but they don't quite scare you like that.  Later Bill
You know you want it Bill.  Come over to the dark side.

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2007, 03:04:25 am »

I have a turbo in my garage right now Dave,  I put it in front of the wheels when I jack the car up.   All kidding aside ,I have a lot of respect to how much drivable power you can make with one.  If I ever built another car I might consider it if I could package it nicely. Glad to see you on here.    Bill

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: