The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 09:45:14 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Just a little food for thought on carbs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Just a little food for thought on carbs  (Read 3588 times)
Speed-Randy

« on: May 20, 2011, 23:04:03 pm »

Go ahead and hate them, but they work
http://www.youtube.com/user/EMPIHPMX

TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 23:21:17 pm »

I don't argue that they do work, but my experience (through a customer ... very frustrating!) was that they had multiplied problems over genuine Weber IDFs when it came to drivability and especially idle circuit clogging.
I flushed the tank and fuel system and cleaned the carbs (twice) ultrasonically but the problems continued right up to the point we switched to Webers.
The frustration signed me of the HPMXs forever.
Maybe just my bad luck?
TxT

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
Speed-Randy

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 23:58:22 pm »

How long ago Tom? Back when they first came out they where bad, but the made refinements and now they test every carb before it ships. I have a set on my squareback and they tuned fine and continue to run fine. Half the price and work well out of the box.

TexasTom

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 00:15:15 am »

I'd estimate his were 4 or so old? Huh Just guessing ...
One of the worst experiences of my carb tuning career.

WOW, they quality control check them now?! What a great idea! Shocked Wink
LOL

Work, work, WORK!

DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 01:01:47 am »

Ya Tom, but there is story behind that, which is for another day another time. I'll stick to Weber, theirs enough people out there that can rebuild, and tune, Art @ (AC), Jack Sacchette@ (JC Ent.), Berg, Geers, just to name a select few. I just bought a restored IDA from Jack, it's better than new, willl go with a NOS one I got That I'm sending to Jack to go through it and to match the one I got from him. Both Italians. Not saying that Empi is not good now, just my personal preference.  Wink Smiley

Ted

VW Classic 2012
TexasTom

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 01:23:47 am »

I'll stick to Weber ...
You and me, both, Bro.
 Wink
TxT

Work, work, WORK!

bugnut68

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 01:28:52 am »

I've heard from more than one source that the new Empi HPMX's are a LOT better now than before... but my concern is with longevity.  I'm working to close a deal on a set of 44 IDF Webers soon, hopefully, after learning my Dell 45's are pieces of shit and can't be fixed.
65bug

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 02:11:25 am »

I love my 48 dells! Bitchen carbs! Any problems I have had with them have been operator error! Once I learned a bit more about them( THANKS MARK HARNEY) they work awesome!
      Try to find another set of dells bugnut. They are great carbs! Wink
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 02:11:44 am »

Why would anyone ever buy new carbs anyway? The depreciation rate is worse than a motorcycle.  
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 02:17:07 am by Zach Gomulka » Logged

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
bugnut68

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 03:22:33 am »

I love my 48 dells! Bitchen carbs! Any problems I have had with them have been operator error! Once I learned a bit more about them( THANKS MARK HARNEY) they work awesome!
      Try to find another set of dells bugnut. They are great carbs! Wink

They're out there, for sure, but I'm very leery having to do any and all transactions over the 'net... I live in BFE and my options are limited.  Right now I've got a good line on a pair of IDFs that came off a running (good running that is) engine similar to what I'm building. 
neil68

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 06:37:03 am »

I've been running some Jaycee prepped Italian IDA's for 5 years and am amazed at how smooth they run on the street...and of course, they rip at the track!

Neil
Der Kleiner Rennwagens
'68 Beetle, 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 172 KM/H (107.5 MPH)
Dynojet Test:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 16:39:40 pm »

No matter how much they advertise about them, they are STILL a long way from being good. I´d say there is a 10% chance that they work out of the box. even thgat may turn out to be optimistic.
But nowadays they CAN be made to work with some attention and small work, as on the contrary to the earlier ones, where 25% of them were doorstop material only.
Spanish IDF´s also needs work before installation, but not to the same extend. BAS Webers are quite good, but that is also seen on the price tag. If a "rookie" or even us that builds engines for people, need a new set of carbs they are actually just about worth the extra money. because you spend less time making them "right" so what you pay extra you save in jetting time.

I also like to find old carbs that are not on the edge of the grave and restore them and use them. - Usually - it pays off with a better result as the cheaper new carbs. But sometime´s even those are a struggle to get going.

T
Lanny Hussey

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 17:39:56 pm »

I had a set of the 40MM's on a customer car 3 years ago..ugh. The car was a complete build that was being shipped 5500 KM to the customer. #4 cyl was dead at idle, OK, plugged idle jet, nope. I ended up swapping carbs left to right and #1 was now dead. The circuit was plugged internally, I had to buy a complete brand new set to get one carb:( Then the year long 'warranty' battle began.. CIP eventually sorted it out.

1967, the only year that matters.
bugnut68

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 19:13:36 pm »

I had a set of the 40MM's on a customer car 3 years ago..ugh. The car was a complete build that was being shipped 5500 KM to the customer. #4 cyl was dead at idle, OK, plugged idle jet, nope. I ended up swapping carbs left to right and #1 was now dead. The circuit was plugged internally, I had to buy a complete brand new set to get one carb:( Then the year long 'warranty' battle began.. CIP eventually sorted it out.

That seems to be the predominant ongoing issue with EMPI that I've heard from others in the industry... product support is less than stellar.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: