The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 16:03:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350874 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Starter button in engine compartment?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Starter button in engine compartment?  (Read 4100 times)
youngnstudly

« on: May 27, 2011, 17:26:27 pm »

Does anyone have pics or care to share their ideas on mounting a permanent starter button in the engine compartment (for testing purposes and breakdowns)? I've thought about using a remote starter  that you can buy at the FLAPS but I recall my neighbor mounting a permanent button in his race car engine compartment years ago. I think he said it was a factory Ford part# from the 70's, and IMO it looked right at home in there. I've always wanted to do something along those lines, but I haven't figured out how to make it look like it belongs there...or better yet, invisible. Wink I'd also like to mount a light in the engine compartment but I haven't gotten all that worked out yet either...My brain is thinking up some "off the wall" stuff today for some reason. Must be the rain keeping me inside.  Roll Eyes Thanks for the help.

Andy

There may be rocks, there may be chips, but one things for sure...I drive this bitch!
Fiatdude

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 18:14:03 pm »

Just get another ignition key and put it where you want -- then wire it in in parallel to the one in the dash

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
Type1/DVK

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 18:37:19 pm »

Rubber switch, mount it somewhere on the firewall, wire's to the startermotor.

DDD#8 - 14.74sec @ 1776cc - Member of:  DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers  - www.ultimatevw.nl - and racing engines
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 19:44:48 pm »

Cool idea, until you leave the car in gear and end up chasing it down the street. Or in reverse, and runned you arse over.   Grin

I'm in a real helpful mood today.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 20:07:21 pm »

This is what I would do ...
1) Install a load reduction relay to the starter solenoid harness
2) Add a pigtail harness from the relay into the engine compartment terminating to a weatherpack connector
3) Make a matching weatherpack pigtail to a push-button switch and keep it in the glove compartment.

Now you have the switch with a safety factor.

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 03:02:28 am »

Cool idea, until you leave the car in gear and end up chasing it down the street. Or in reverse, and runned you arse over.   Grin

Mark Herbert ran himself over with his car.

I also park at Nick's.

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 03:36:04 am »

I remember that !
And the tire print on his shirt !
RIP Mark.
 Cry
kingsburgphil

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 04:59:57 am »

2) Add a pigtail harness from the relay into the engine compartment terminating to a weatherpack connector
3) Make a matching weatherpack pigtail to a push-button switch and keep it in the glove compartment.

X2,  or at least a rudimentary neutral safety switch at the shift coupler?  Otherwise too dangerous for the amateur....IMO  Wink
youngnstudly

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 05:30:41 am »

Now this is an excellent idea! I was thinking of using a universal trailer light plug from Napa Auto parts and getting the flip up cover that protects the terminals when not in use. It sounds like the simplest plan without having to order anything "special" for a connector online. Any other thoughts? Thanks TT and everyone else. Fiatdude's idea was a close second. I appreciate the input from everyone...even Javabug Grin

X2,  or at least a rudimentary neutral safety switch at the shift coupler?  Otherwise too dangerous for the amateur....IMO  Wink
Oh I'm no amateur...more like an idiot-The difference being that I have more experience than an amateur! Wink

Andy

There may be rocks, there may be chips, but one things for sure...I drive this bitch!
kingsburgphil

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 16:07:31 pm »

Now this is an excellent idea! I was thinking of using a universal trailer light plug from Napa Auto parts and getting the flip up cover that protects the terminals when not in use. It sounds like the simplest plan without having to order anything "special" for a connector online. Any other thoughts? Thanks TT and everyone else. Fiatdude's idea was a close second. I appreciate the input from everyone...even Javabug Grin

X2,  or at least a rudimentary neutral safety switch at the shift coupler?  Otherwise too dangerous for the amateur....IMO  Wink
Oh I'm no amateur...more like an idiot-The difference being that I have more experience than an amateur! Wink

Andy
No offense meant by the amateur comment. My remarks were about pro techs in controlled environments with established procedures/habits which tend to
minimize accidents.  Personally I can't recall a modern car with a starter button under the hood.

I've had several of these over the years  Cheesy
SPEEDWELL66

VW DRAG RACING.....MEXICAN STYLE!!

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 07:08:18 am »

Grin

WWW.VOLKSSTYLE.COM
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: