The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 18:15:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350874 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  I need pics of L633 vw blue cars... long story
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: I need pics of L633 vw blue cars... long story  (Read 8137 times)
brian e

« on: May 24, 2011, 22:42:43 pm »

Hello,
  I am knee deep in TWO full body off builds right now.  The first is a white '70 cal-looker, no trim, t-bars, blasted 8 spokes, one piece windows, etc.  It is ready for interior and just about done.  The second car is a project I kind of lucked into.  I traded one car for this '68 and some $$.  Well a local bug kid attends the Hot Rod Institute and needs a project to work on.  The deal is I lowered his bug in trade for him painting and doing all the rust repair on the '68 as his class project.  I pay for all parts and material's.  So 1.5 months ago I had a complete car, and it will now be in primer by the end of this week.  New fenders, aprons, heater channel, pan half, etc.  I have POR-15ed the pan, painted everything, new black interior, powder coated the seat frames and other interior parts, reworked the 1835 that came with the car, and a few other things. 

So now I need to pick a color to paint the '68.  The car was originally l633 VW blue.  I have looked all over the net, and at 2 different shows, and I haven't found a good clear modern pic of the color.  I have also really been considering L456 Ruby Red, and also L595 Fontana grey. 

The only bummer of the whole deal is I will have to sell one of the cars as I can't afford to keep 2 fully restored cars.  I have been thinking to sell the '68, cause the white '70 is more exactly what I want. 

So based on resale potential only, which of the 3 colors do you guys think would sell the best??  Some say resale red, others hate all red cars.  Some like OG stock correct color.  I like the gray, but want to use it on a different project car.  All should look good with the black interior and detailed fake Riviera wheels.   

Please show me some pics of the VW Blue.  I am worried it is a little too dark.

deano

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 23:15:14 pm »

Okay, being a former guru of this color.... ha, ha, L633 (VW Blue) was a 1967 color..... L639 (Zenith Blue) was a 1968 color. They are close in color, but Zenith Blue is darker than VW Blue..... So, just make sure which want you want for your '68....

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
brian e

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 23:27:53 pm »

Okay, being a former guru of this color.... ha, ha, L633 (VW Blue) was a 1967 color..... L639 (Zenith Blue) was a 1968 color. They are close in color, but Zenith Blue is darker than VW Blue..... So, just make sure which want you want for your '68....

Ah I see.  The Wolfsberg West color chart showed both for '68.  My car only had a few spots the still had OG paint so I was going off a few crappy pics I found on the samba and the color samples from the WW site.  I think mine was VW Blue. 

For resale, should I stick with a correct year paint, or will a year or two off mater??  The car already has a few custom things done.  Not like it is pure stock anymore.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 00:08:34 am »

Okay, being a former guru of this color.... ha, ha, L633 (VW Blue) was a 1967 color..... L639 (Zenith Blue) was a 1968 color. They are close in color, but Zenith Blue is darker than VW Blue.....

I think you've got that backwards, Deano...

VW Blue

Zenith Blue

Both are '67-'68 colours

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
deano

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 00:34:34 am »

Sorry, my mistake. I was thinking of Cobalt Blue from 1969, which is darker than VW Blue...  I should have remembered Zenith Blue was much lighter.... Yikes.

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
brian e

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 00:43:14 am »

VW Blue

[/quote]

This was pretty close to the color on the bottom side of the hood.  Looks better then the other pics I found.

Still trying to decide, blue, red or gray.
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 01:10:32 am »

I say ditch the white walls for your project ZACH!  :-)

Hey, are you up for making a rear carpeted area like you did for Asshulls car?  I am cutting out the pieces this weekend. I do not plan to run the back seat in the chop. Let me know.  I need to deliver something up to Chris....are you in Phoenix still or back in Prescott?

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 01:57:20 am »

LOL !!!!!!!!

Doctor Detail ( Retired )
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 02:03:33 am »

Go to your local auto paint store and ask for a fleet color chart! Nothing but colors that go from like a light shade of a color and blend into dark shades.

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 02:49:32 am »

VW Blue all the way ...

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 03:16:17 am »

I say ditch the white walls for your project ZACH!  :-)

Hey, are you up for making a rear carpeted area like you did for Asshulls car?  I am cutting out the pieces this weekend. I do not plan to run the back seat in the chop. Let me know.  I need to deliver something up to Chris....are you in Phoenix still or back in Prescott?

Rick M

I'm still in Prescott, not yet back in Phoenix! Roll Eyes
I'll be here, let me know!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
deano

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 03:45:13 am »

VW Blue all the way ...

I dig that car! I saw it in Puerto Rico a few years back and it still looked great!

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
brian e

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 16:15:21 pm »

VW Blue all the way ...

That is a good looking car.  I really do like the VW Blue, but I am a little worried about the black interior making it really dark inside.  I removed the dash pad, and they filled the holes, so that will help brighten it up some.

Brian
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 16:32:20 pm »

vw blue  Grin Grin

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
nicolas

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2011, 16:35:29 pm »

vw blue is a very nice colour. i have a 67 squareback in that colour and over the years i have appreciated it more and more. when the sun is out it looks a million bucks to me.

i have been thinking of giving the car an other colour when i will repaint it, but it just looks good and is the original colour. the interiour is light (platinum), but black works good as well. do a search for DOKKE DFL to see what it can look like, before he redid it with metalflake Wink
Dokke/DFL

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2011, 21:15:48 pm »

Mine a couple years ago ... [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
brian e

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2011, 21:19:36 pm »

Mine a couple years ago ... [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I also found this one, really really good looking car.  Love the Gasburners.  What size rear tires are those?? 

Dokke/DFL

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2011, 22:03:51 pm »

Thank you !!!
It's Firestone 205/70/15 ...
brian e

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2011, 00:43:40 am »

I did a ton of searching on here and came up with a few more pics of DOKKE/DFL's awesome car.  I am pretty sure I will paint it VW Blue.  I would like to build a late model version of his '67.  Gasburners will come a little later. 

My question now is what color to do the interior.  I have 2 complete kits (because of the 2 project cars). 

One kit was for the white car, Grey 2 tone panels and matching seat covers, salt/pepper loop carpet.  Here is a shot of the door panels.

going in this car

The other kit is just a standard TMI black basket weave with black loop carpet.  I have one set of lowback seat frames powder coated gloss black, and another set that havent been done yet. 

So what interior in which car, and what color to do the seat frames and Ebrake?

Thanks for your suggestions,

Brian
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2011, 02:24:23 am »

I don't think you could go wrong with either interior in a VW Blue car. I would probably choose the black, but that's just me.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: