The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 17:28:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  24 Years ago this weekend...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 24 Years ago this weekend...  (Read 1905 times)
Donny B.

« on: May 28, 2011, 16:48:03 pm »

I can't believe it has been 24 years since my wife and I made a trip from Phoenix to Costa Mesa to make a leisurely little drive from Costa Mesa to Sacramento for the BugORama.  We didn't know anyone, but we managed to have a great time on the largest of the California Caravans.  People were waving from the overpasses and merging into the line all along the way.  When we got to Sacramento they directed us into a huge parking lot so a photo could be taken from a helicopter.  Pretty cool as 419 Volkswagens formed up in row after row.  We had been hassled by the CHP along the way, but it was still great fun.  After checking into the hotel and taking a quick shower my wife and I walked about a block to a nearby restaurant for dinner.  We were wearing the California Caravan t-shirts I had purchased at the beginning in Costa Mesa.  When we walked in so properly attired we received applause from the many VW aficionados dining there.  It was a great time and I will remember it as long as I live!

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 16:58:40 pm »

24 years already? I was also there with my wife after 1 year of marriage, now just celebrated 25 yr's just this past week, man how time fly's. That was one experince my wife and will never for get also. There was alot of VW's for sure. Then they took that shot in the big parking lot from the helicopter, WOW! That was one long drive. I think I posted some pic's here on the lounge somewhere..... Anybody else remember tha  cruz? Maybe some pics??

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 17:04:40 pm »

Thats cool Donny,I never went on any of the California Caravans, but they looked like huge fun. I was there that weekend,sans car. Hanging with Greg Booras, Mark Herbert & all of our friends. Great time for events in that period. Lotsa fun, great memories, great people. Some of my best times in the hobby.  Bill

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 23:46:51 pm »

I remember the weekend well too.  Took the trip from Arizona with a friend in his 67 sedan. We had three radials seperate on the trip. Had to replace the first two in Bakersfield, then one on the way back to Arizona. I was also doing some announcing for John Stafford at the time for the Sacramento event.  Wow, hard to believe it has been 24 years already. I think we were on our 5th and 6th Phoenix Bug-O-Rama's that year.

Don, your making me feel old.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
Donny B.

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 02:04:04 am »

Don, your making me feel old.

Yeah, you only feel old.  I am old....!

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »