The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 19:36:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350866 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Trunk pen markings
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Trunk pen markings  (Read 2789 times)
Jared

« on: September 05, 2011, 01:38:17 am »

I am looking for any and all info I can get on the pen markings on most early cars. It seems there are a few different pen colors depending on the body color. I would like to learn what all the numbers and letters all mean. Thanks in advance.
Trent B

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 06:12:33 am »

« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 02:40:36 am by Trent B » Logged
dyno don
DKK

DGVA DZK (old school 70's)

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 20:34:22 pm »

>>jetting recommendations..??   ....thats a new one to me.    Regarding the pen markings under the front bonnet/hood section....they in fact designate a few things such as year,make,color,in code and to be honest with you ,they were the first things ,many years ago, I used to remove when detailing under the hood until I learned otherwise for the anal collective/LOL....    go to "the samba" with your inquirey to get a full scope of your question. If I can find my stashed articles on code reference Ill post them for you with more info....   Dyno
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 21:34:31 pm »

Usually the destination of what country the car is going. I have cleaned and painted over a ton of squiggly US yellow crayon marks in the days I painted.

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Jared

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 05:38:38 am »

Thanks for the info guys. I have searched on samba and found the info to be " basic." I am converting me 59 rag to a euro spec car and would like to find all I can to duplicate the writing.
deano

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 05:55:38 am »

I once heard a story about two brothers who used to paint Porsches on the assembly line in Germany. As the car would go through the paint tunnel, they would each take their index fingers and put their initials in the wet paint, near the cowl area (left and right sides). I got that one from Harvey Weidman and he even knew the two guy's names (and their initials). Of course, if you repainted a Porsche from this period, you had to redo those markings... Of course...

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Fritter

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 16:22:25 pm »

Buddy Hale "recreated" the squiggles in my old '65 Bug, I remember the letters were blue and "USA" was in there, along with some other codes.

Deano, you are correct, there are some videos on Youtube showing a Porsche worker doing that on the drivers side dash top (under the dash pad) on an early 70s 911.   I don't remember seeing fingerpaints on my '68 911 dash top but I did see the VIN written in crayon (similar to the Bug crayon) there, and I know that is factory.

Mike F.
'64 Indigo Blue sunroof Bug
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: