The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 03:19:38 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350884 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Things that drive a guy batty...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Things that drive a guy batty...  (Read 2343 times)
bugnut68

« on: July 20, 2011, 18:11:08 pm »

I made the mistake of not feeding my throttle cable through before getting the engine fully installed... installed a new engine bay seal on the firewall side as well as surrounding the engine compartment, and now can't find the throttle cable tube to feed it through the shroud.  I've managed to feed a file through the tube and poke a hole in the rubber seal, but can't manage to get the cable fed through yet... it frayed so I cut the end off with the expectation of using one of those extender things to hook it up to the carb linkage, but have yet to find a way to get the cable fed through the rubber seal and the tube.  Driving me nuts.
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 18:25:16 pm »

i did this recently but didn't find any difficulties, what if you take out the generator including and backing plate and fan? 10 minute job, then you can put your hand through the shroud. should work like a charm. good luck!

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
bugnut68

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 18:31:16 pm »

i did this recently but didn't find any difficulties, what if you take out the generator including and backing plate and fan? 10 minute job, then you can put your hand through the shroud. should work like a charm. good luck!

Not sure I can easily do that with a doghouse shroud and all...If I get a brand new cable, I should (in theory, lol) be able to feed the cable through the hole I created in the rubber firewall seal and through the tube... finding the tube was a bit of a problem before I cut the end of the frayed cable off, as it missed the tube and went through the tin... or maybe I'll just have to pull my carbs off, unbolt the engine and pull it loose enough to feed the cable through.  Oi vey.
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 18:34:15 pm »

i did that with my doghouse shroud.
feeding the tube above the gearbox onto the tube that runs through the shroud is always a bit fiddly.
good luck  Smiley

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Rick Sadler

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 18:48:01 pm »

Push a piece of welding rod through the throttle tube from the generator/alternator side of the fan shroud to to the top of the transaxle. Make sure you have a long piece of rod so that it still sticks out of the fan shroud. Butt the cable up to the welding rod and tape them together and pull the welding rod back out.  Wink

Der Kleiner Panzers
bugnut68

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 18:52:25 pm »

Push a piece of welding rod through the throttle tube from the generator/alternator side of the fan shroud to to the top of the transaxle. Make sure you have a long piece of rod so that it still sticks out of the fan shroud. Butt the cable up to the welding rod and tape them together and pull the welding rod back out.  Wink

I'll try that again... I tried it using bailing wire/safety wire and electrical tape, but the tape kept coming off, lol.  I'll get at it again tomorrow night (I'm working this evening) when I have more patience.
Bryan67

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 21:44:44 pm »

Sounds like you don`t have the sleeve from the pan to back of the engine? Can`t you just do it from underneath?

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
bugnut68

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 22:12:55 pm »

Sounds like you don`t have the sleeve from the pan to back of the engine? Can`t you just do it from underneath?

Actually, I do have that... but it's been just hanging loose since I pulled the last engine... I think once I have a new throttle cable with the "big end" intact (the end that connects to the linkage), I should be able to fish it though the seal and the throttle cable tube.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: