The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 12:23:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Copycat product?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Copycat product?  (Read 3523 times)
bugnut68

« on: November 29, 2011, 22:51:34 pm »

Just got the new Hot VWs today with the article on the gassers; sweet articles and photos...

My question stems from a product in the Parts Bin section.  A guy claims to have invented the temperature dipstick warning unit (like the one that the Bergs have offered for years) leading me to the question of who's the rightful inventor?  I'd always been under the impression that Gene Berg invented this part (triggers the idiot light to flicker when oil gets too hot), but this feller claims to have originated it.  Don't remember his name, magazine's out in the car and cant' find a web site through a cursory web search.  Just wondering if anyone else noticed this? Huh
hotrodsurplus

It's not how fast you go; it's how you go fast.

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 00:14:38 am »

I'd always been under the impression that Gene Berg invented this part

Berg would have loved for people to think that he invented a lot of things that his company sells but alas that dipstick wasn't his design.

I saw this at http://www.geneberg.com/cat.php?cPath=118_2734
**NOTE** As of 8/1/11 these are NLA as our supplier quit making them.

It sort of makes one wonder why the vendor isn't selling to Berg. Hmmm...

Chris Shelton. Professional liar.
deano

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 00:28:31 am »

Gene Berg DID NOT invent this part. Hal Brown did, and now his son is continuing to make and sell them. If the Bergs aren't selling them any more, ask them.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
bugnut68

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 01:07:30 am »

Ah, I see... I'll be darned.  I saw a Samba thread earlier where they were no longer making them, but I didn't know that the Bergs didn't originate the part.  New things learned every day!
Brandon Sinclair

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 19:40:04 pm »

http://www.savemybug.com/
neil68

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 03:43:06 am »

[/quote] Berg would have loved for people to think that he invented a lot of things that his company sells but alas that dipstick wasn't his design.

[/quote]

That's BS:  The Berg catalogues of 1990 and 1993/1994 clearly state:  "Originated by Hal Brown in 1972."

Neil
Der Kleiner Rennwagens
'68 Beetle, 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 172 KM/H (107.5 MPH)
Dynojet Test:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
hotrodsurplus

It's not how fast you go; it's how you go fast.

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 05:48:11 am »

Berg would have loved for people to think that he invented a lot of things that his company sells but alas that dipstick wasn't his design.

That's BS:  The Berg catalogues of 1990 and 1993/1994 clearly state:  "Originated by Hal Brown in 1972."

BS? Nice to meet you too, Neil.  Wink

I didn't say that he took the credit for that particular part. However, he did make it look like his company made it. Look at the second graf on page 37 in the '93/'94 catalog. "OUR temperature dipstick..." Under part number 227A: "Yes, many people do not know the value of OUR GB 227 dipstick..." It's no surprise that we all thought he made the part (hence the recent confusion).

But he did take credit for things, even if by omission. For example, his linkage was a direct ripoff of the Speedwell design. At the bottom of the description: "Originated in 1965." No mention of Speedwell. When taken with his "OUR linkages..." spiel it seems as if he invented it. There are more.

By the way he talked (and wrote) he made himself out as the only person who could do certain things properly. If you believed everything he said or wrote (as I once did) you'd think that an engine couldn't survive if every part wasn't ordained by him. He was a remarkable self promoter and it was often at the expense of integrity (a good deal of his marketing was maligning his competition's products). When taken in its entirety, his posturing makes him seem as if he invented the wheel (figuratively of course).

Chris Shelton. Professional liar.
neil68

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 06:23:51 am »

It's always misleading to take "selective words" by themselves: "Our GB 227 dipstick" means that is simply the part #. If you finish reading to the final paragraph, it states "Orginated by Hal Brown in 1972."

There are numerous examples all through the GBE catalogues of others he credits either as the originator, or the original that he has now modified or "improved", or the current supplier:  Joe Vittone, Dean Lowry, Harold Washington, Bugpack, Tayko, Carillo, Manley, Weber, Bosch, CB 044 heads, OEM VW parts (eg. oil pumps that are blueprinted/anodized), come to mind.

Regarding the carb linkage, Berg has always acknowledged that his linkage design was a derivative of the "no longer produced" Speedwell and EMPI designs.  However, the more recent versions have many changes since the '60's/'70's.

Neil
Der Kleiner Rennwagens
'68 Beetle, 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 172 KM/H (107.5 MPH)
Dynojet Test:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 10:23:34 am »

Gene Berg DID NOT invent this part. Hal Brown did, and now his son is continuing to make and sell them. If the Bergs aren't selling them any more, ask them.

Yup! I remember Hal coming in early in the morning to Bergs and give Andy those, then Andy would do something, can't remember, Hal was a great brain in VW stuff and a cool guy to talk to, is he still around? I wonder. Had his number, but lost it.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
deano

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 16:46:53 pm »

Yes, Hal is still living in Costa Mesa... same place as always. He threatened to move to Arkansas to be closer to his son, but then looked at the climate, and decided to stick it out at the beach... He came by our office about two weeks ago.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: