The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 17:45:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Reversing the oil flow?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Reversing the oil flow?  (Read 2933 times)
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« on: June 07, 2012, 17:51:27 pm »

Most everything have been tested before, but I can't find anything on using the main gallery the other way.
It requires a little machining, but I can really see some benefits from this. And no I'm not using the stock oil cooler.

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Greg G

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 23:58:08 pm »

Feeding the center main first doesn't seem like it would cause a problem.
RhoadsVW

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 02:04:27 am »

In the early 70's late 60's Goody at Rimco had an idea and I used it on my car. It's kind of reverse flow.  I took the full flow oil line out of the oil pump thru an oil cooler and then up to an oil cooler adapter. On the adapter I took and pluged the top hole and drilled the bottom hole thru. Then you have both the oil cooler inlets and outlets feeding down to the bearings. All the pressure release valves worked correctly with good oil pressure and flow to the bearings.   Dave Rhoads

Der Renwagen Fuhrers
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 18:42:35 pm »

There is no problem doing that. But it does not make a difference as to the quality or security of oil supply. It MAY however give you a little higher actual oil pressure at the center main. - But do you need it (?)

T
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 17:30:28 pm »

Thanks for the input guys, You give an option I haven't thought off. My initial thoughts was to bring the flow back in at the flywheel end, up where the relief piston would go. I would have a extra oil pressure sensor in the old oil cooler location, and also retain the main oil pressure switch in the stock location. The regulating of the oil pressure could be done as in the single relieve cases, or with a external regulator like jaycee or csp's new version.
The benefits, as I see it, is to feed the thrust bearing and the center main before the other two, and it would also let you see the actual oil pressure at the center main and more importantly the actual pressure at the pressure regulating piston. I am a firm believer in regulating the pressure after the "consumers" have had theirs.

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: