The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 19:37:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Dry sump pulley setup
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Dry sump pulley setup  (Read 2929 times)
andy198712

« on: September 02, 2012, 18:10:54 pm »

hello,

just trying to plan out a build, using the bugpack dry sump pump, i've got a small pulley that comes with it that uses a V style belt..... but not sure i could find a suitable top pulley to get my fan speed back up to daily driver speeds for cooling.
seen some serpintine pulley setups also....

What are you guys running if you running a DS pump or have you heard of any good methods?

PS, will be attaching a crank trigger to the pulley Smiley

Cheers

Andy
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 18:35:07 pm »

You want to give Jack @ JC Ent. a call or e-mail him, he came up with a pulley set-up that might work for you.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
andy198712

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 19:34:18 pm »

You want to give Jack @ JC Ent. a call or e-mail him, he came up with a pulley set-up that might work for you.

Ted

just sent him an email Smiley

did you mean the cog pulley setup he does?
owdlvr

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 21:20:07 pm »

I'm using a Porsche 356 upper pulley with a CB performance lower pulley and the BugPack Pump. At some point I did the actual ratio math to figure out the fan rpms but don't have any of that information handy.

-Dave
andy198712

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 22:27:00 pm »

can you measure that pulley (bottom) for me? thats very helpful.

does it run ok?
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 07:07:27 am »

Ted

just sent him an email Smiley

did you mean the cog pulley setup he does?
Yes, Jack may not get back to you right away, think he was at Sac. for the Bugorama.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
hotrodsurplus

It's not how fast you go; it's how you go fast.

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 08:25:40 am »

The 356 upper pulley restores the ratio when running a power pulley (the power pulley diameter was inspired by the 356/912 drive pulley). The issue is whether your pulley is smaller yet than the conventional power pulley. If it is you might not have any other recourse than run the 356 upper pulley and live with a slightly slower fan speed. Even if the dry-sump drive pulley is smaller than the power pulley I don't know if you'd really miss that margin of cooling.

In a roundabout way I have some experience with running a 356 pulley on a dry-sumped engine . A customer of ours ran a 5/Unlimited car with a big type I. He went through engines at alarming rates--he DNFd more than once due to cooling issues. The 356 pulley I recommended solved his cooling issue. Bear in mind that this was an engine that ran flat-out all day long in a 2,500-pound car often in 100-plus-degree temperatures.

I don't know if his pulley pulley was smaller than the conventional power pulley but I'd be willing to bet that it was. He ran a multi-stage pump which I believe requires a pulley smaller than the power pulley.

hope it helps.

Chris Shelton. Professional liar.
andy198712

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 21:36:53 pm »

That does help thank you Smiley

Using the 356 pulley saves me about £3-400 in pulley setups Smiley
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: