The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 11:35:54 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Racing on cast wheels
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Racing on cast wheels  (Read 3829 times)
richie

« on: August 29, 2012, 11:46:49 am »

There was an incident at Drachten the other weekend where a bug crashed due to[from what i have read and been told] a cast wheel failing,they arent desinged for the abuse slicks and a sticky track will give them,just something for everyone to think about,there is a reason porsche etc made such high quality wheels,relpicas are not made to the same standards

cheers richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Bruce

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 05:59:05 am »

I disagree, Richie.  It's street driving and road racing that cracks and breaks wheels.

If you're only going straight, there's no side loading on the wheel center.  When you're accelerating, the torque of the axle is transferred to the wheel center evenly by all the lug bolts.  That torque is then transferred evenly to the rim of the wheel.  In other words, the load is spread out.

When you are cornering, the side load is concentrated mostly at the part of the rim closest to the ground.  Not spread over the whole wheel.

I know one Lounge member who owns a set of real BRMs.  He won't hesitate to use them on the track.  But when on the street, he purposely goes around corners slowly.  Slower than when he uses aluminium wheels.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 15:02:03 pm »

andy spilkoman had a real empi 5 who exploded some year ago

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,2222.msg28501.html#msg28501

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,4247.msg59673.html#msg59673

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
andy198712

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 15:30:24 pm »

Pretty sure the wheels on my ninja are cast and they get huge strains!!

But a poor quality cast wheel is dangerous I would totally agree!
And I would go further to say a well forged wheel would be better, but a good cast wheel would be good too.

I guess it may well come down to quality control also....
Greg G

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 02:57:08 am »

There have been forged and billet center wheels break under extreme conditions in the top classes of the NHRA. Its like the best crank money can buy cracking when detonation takes over. Even the best wheel can break when chattering the tire takes place. We just normally don't shake it hard enough, but with the HP of some of the cars and the strength of the transmissions and axles, there will be breakage somewhere else, possibly the wheel. We sill be seeing cast wheels obviously break first.
nicolas

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 08:22:32 am »

i have to agree with Richie. i will never run slicks on my 8 spokes. they have hold up with trips over bad roads, but risking to run a slick with a sticky track on a 30-40 year old rim that has been known to crack is a bad idea.

but it has a lot to do with the design of the said wheel as well. 5 and 8 spokes just won't hold up in the long run i am afraid. and it also has to do with how much power/abuse you put on them.
Fasterbrit

OFF#23 - The Fastest Outlaw in the West!

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 10:26:17 am »

Speak to Paul Medhurst at Type3 Detectives. He recently had a vintage Vw cast wheel explode on tyre fitting machine. One half of the wheel disappeared through the ceiling of the workshop! Cast wheels fatigue with age something chronic. Kind of like a ticking timebomb...
I wouldn't fancy racing an older cast wheel. Particularly one that's made of brittle magnesium, is 30+ years old and worth a small fortune  Shocked

9.563 @ 146.25 mph Cal Look Drag Day, Santa Pod, April 2011
OFF#23 OUTLAW FLAT FOUR www.outlawflatfour.com
www.air-kraft.com
www.marcomansiperformance.com
dragvw2180

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 11:25:20 am »

Cast wheels are for driving on the street with street tires and not for racing.  The first problem I see with them is weight, they are heavy and were never designed to take the stress of slicks and high HP launches, just like my light Mitchell racing wheels were never intended to be driven on the street and cornered hard.  I would not want to risk the investment of the BRM's either, not because of weakness but because of replacement costs .  Mike McCarthy
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: