The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 13:33:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  how narrow do i need my beam?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: how narrow do i need my beam?  (Read 4368 times)
beetletom

« on: October 02, 2012, 21:21:46 pm »

ive got a 4" narrowed beam for my 66, i went this narrow originally as i was going to run enkei 5 spokes, with dropped spindles and disc kit, but now have a change of wheels....

but now i have a set of bbt sprintstars, but as they are narrower upfront (4.5") and the offset isn't so much, what would be a good width?
i'll be running 145 f560's upfront too. and 4 lug to wide 5 adaptors.
gizago

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 21:53:14 pm »

What spindles have you got ? They differ in the track they add. What disc set up are you running? What width do your adaptors add?What is the offset of your wheels? And do you want the car to look like a wheelbarrow or a baja??
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 07:41:46 am »

What's wrong with a stock width beam ? just don't go too low or run stupid width tries

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
leec

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 08:19:46 am »

If you have all the bits why not just bolt it all in as a mock up? That's the only real way of seeing if you like the look of it.
If it's too narrow you can then work out what width beam you need to make up next.

If you are running 4 stud disc to wide 5 adapters that's an inch each side (I have machine 7 versions) plus the dropped spindles, can't see it being miles out?

Lee
beetletom

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 14:18:13 pm »

thanks guys, yep i guess the adaptors will add a bit of width

got cb performance spindles, with stock 4 lug discs

stock width might be too wide...? especially if i run wheels with a silly offset in the future

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 15:44:46 pm »

narrow beam are for resto cal  Roll Eyes... Grin Grin....wrong forum 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 16:36:06 pm by speedwell » Logged

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 15:16:55 pm »

I needed a 4 inch narrowed beam to get away with dropped spindles, csp disc (5x205) and flat 4 BRM's.

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
beetletom

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 15:59:21 pm »

I needed a 4 inch narrowed beam to get away with dropped spindles, csp disc (5x205) and flat 4 BRM's.
do you have any photo's of your car please? thanks
Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 16:11:55 pm »

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
beetletom

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 16:31:48 pm »

thanks, that looks perfect!
AntLockyer

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 18:59:49 pm »

You sure a 3 inch wouldn't have worked there?

12.618 @ 104.87mph
beetletom

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 19:43:04 pm »

i had a 3" narrowed beam on it previously, if you look at the top pic in my readers rides thread, the offset on the AE 5 spokes made them close to the wing lips
hotrodsurplus

It's not how fast you go; it's how you go fast.

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 20:28:54 pm »

Wheel offsets (ET):

Enkei Five: 12mm
BBT 4.5:    25mm
Flat 4 BRM 5mm

Going from the Enkei Five to the BBT will narrow the track 26mm (basically an inch) or 13mm (basically half an inch) each side.

If you use the BRMs as a reference:
Wheel track with the Enkei Five would be 14mm narrower than it would be with the FF BRMs.
Wheel track with the BBT Sprints would be 40mm narrower than it would be with the FF BRMs.

I know the following does not pertain to your question but is there a way that you can choose a front brake with less offset? That four-to-five-lug adapter increases the offset by about 25mm on each side but that is not the only thing that increases the offset. The distance between the four-lug wheel-mounting faces is 5mm greater than it is between the five-lug mounting faces. So 25mm+25mm+5mm= 55mm greater track width and 27.5mm increased offset on either side. The aftermarket wheels compound the problem. A stock wide-five wheel has 35mm ET so using the BBT Sprints increases the offset by another 10mm on each side and widens the track 20mm.

The four-lug brakes, five-lug adapters, and BBT wheels have widened your track width by at least 75mm or 3 inches. The dropped spindles may have increased the track width by another 20 or so MM if not more. You have at least two choices.

1) narrow a stock beam by whatever amount that the wheels/spindles/brakes/adapters increased the track width/offset and the wheels will end up in the stock location. But that does not account for the 37.5mm (or more) increased scrub radius caused by the greater offset. Scrub radius is the distance between the center of the tire contact patch and the point where the steering axis intersects the ground. Excessive scrub radius increases the leverage on the steering and reduces braking stability. It also transmits more of the road imperfections to the driver through the steering wheel (a function of the increased leverage). Great offset also wears bearings prematurely.   

2) get zero-offset front disc brakes and spindles and live with the 20mm that the wheels increase the track width. A look at any real Cal Look car from the day will prove that the tires will fit under the fenders. You will not notice the 10mm that the wheels increases the offset/scrub radius in either the handling or steering.

Chris Shelton. Professional liar.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: