The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 17:27:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350874 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  McMullen Roadster
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: McMullen Roadster  (Read 3273 times)
edcraig

« on: October 28, 2012, 06:09:16 am »

This is not directly VW related, but I thought I'd share it anyway.  I was watching the Manhiem Auto auction and saw that at their upcoming Anaheim event, they would be auctioning Tom McMullen's roadster.  If you've never seen it, see the attached link.  Tom was a magazine publisher and along with the Rosevear's came up with the VW Trends magazine and the idea of having a Auto Haus catalog in the center.  It was my responsibility at the time at Auto Haus to manage any sales from the magazine.   My assistant helping me with mail order sales was, Diane, who was Tom's girlfriend, and soon to be wife.   I met Tom only a few times during the launch of VW trends but remember him as being a very unique person.   Sadly both Tom and Diane died in a small plane crash a few years later. 

I fortunate to have met Tom, but wish I would have done a better job of recording some past events like this. 

Ed.

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=AN1112-139552

johnl

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 16:27:26 pm »

Tom was an interesting character and that would be an understatement.  He was a small man in stature and had the "chip on his shoulder attitude" because of it I suspect.  I remember one time I was in Lynn's office at the Buena Park Dale St. warehouse and Tom phoned Lynn.

He needed a ride from Long Beach airport back to his house.  Lynn and I drove over to the airport and there was Tom with is T-38 Jet.  He and "the girl friend" had just come back from somewhere.  Tom was wearing a bright orange jump suit and was rather loud and a bit obnoxious I thought.

We drove them back to the Buena Park - Fullerton area and stopped at what was then Spires Restaurant on the north west corner of Brookhurst and Orangethorpe.  Yes this is the diagonal corner to where Nick's is located today.  The Spires is still there but under a different name.  Tom walks in with the orange jumpsuit on and is loud and of course everyone in the place looks.

After lunch we drove them back to Tom's house which was just off of Euclid starting up the hill from Malvern St.  It was a culdesac on the west side of the street and the house was right next to Euclid.  To this day every time I drive up there I always look at the place.

Tom had some exotic large cat caged up in the side yard and that always bothered me as I don't like to see animals live like that.  Don't know what happened to the cat or the house after they both died.

Ed, for some reason I don't remember the name Diane associated with the girl friend / wife.  I remember her as being demanding and difficult to be around.  Also remember that wife #1's name was Rose and she was the one that assisted (some say made) TRM (Thomas R. McMulleen) Publications which was on the north side of La Palma just east of Brookhurst an Anaheim. 

Regarding their demise, stories came about that Tom had a lot of enemies and on the way back from Florida in their self piloted aircraft there was the crash.  Some say it was done by one of those not friendly to Tom.

Last, I seem to remember the '32 Ford being on the cover of Hot Rod back in the day.  Tom and Lynn met when they were both in the LA Roadsters long before Auto Haus time.  So there you go with some more useless info.

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 20:02:42 pm »

There are stories I know about Tom that I can't post here...

Let's just say a life a little different to the average... Shocked
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 20:04:31 pm by Fastbrit » Logged

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
johnl

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 03:41:00 am »

Tom's wife name has bugged me all day.  As I stated in my previous post I didn't think Diane was correct.  Later today when I wasn't thinking about it a name came to mind and I believe it was Deana or Deanna (sp).  Have sent an e-mail to Ed Craig and waiting for his reply but at this time I'm going to stick with Deana or Deanna.

Oh, and Keith I'd like to hear your tales about Tom as I have a few myself that were not made public...   Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
edcraig

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 03:57:47 am »

Yeah...I had a few odd stories relayed to me too.  I remember one about him with one of his magazine models and a machine shop.  ;-)

John, we are both right.  We did call her Deana, but she confessed to me later that her name was actually Diane.  Not that it was any big deal.  Lets face it, the names are very close, however, I think it was just her way to mess with people.

Ed.
edcraig

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 04:00:34 am »

Correction.  The auction company is Mecum, not Manheim.  Manheim is another auction company, but pretty much a auction for OE's to sell off excess inventory.  Remember them from my days with Suzuki.

...Ed.
johnl

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 04:03:35 am »

Yeah...I had a few odd stories relayed to me too.  I remember one about him with one of his magazine models and a machine shop.  ;-)

John, we are both right.  We did call her Deana, but she confessed to me later that her name was actually Diane.  Not that it was any big deal.  Lets face it, the names are very close, however, I think it was just her way to mess with people.

Ed.

Yep, that is what I remember about old whats her name.  She was good at playing "mind games"...

kaferdave

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 17:06:55 pm »

When VW Trends was still in existence, and the office was at 774 South Placentia, in the bottom floor foyer, sat Tom's 32, or a clone, I don't know.... I would come into work, I would see that car, and dream...
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 17:22:31 pm »

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: