The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 18:47:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350874 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  whats the best heatproof paint for exhausts in the uk?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: whats the best heatproof paint for exhausts in the uk?  (Read 2398 times)
beetletom

« on: March 03, 2013, 21:32:11 pm »

started to bare metal my berg dual quietpack

need to paint it in somewthing which won't flake off

am thinking about taking it to the local powdercoaters and asking them to put it in their oven to bake it on too.
leec

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 21:43:34 pm »

I had a buggy exhaust powder coated with a high heat resistant powder. It didn't flake when I owned it

Lee
Matty c

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 21:47:44 pm »

Hey Tom, I used Eastwood high temp paint from frost. It's satin black & so far is holding up nicely. I painted my t bird dual mufflers with it & I'm happy with it.
Matt.

67heaven
stait9

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 22:46:03 pm »

Hi
I recently bought a car where the exhaust had been powder coated with apparently high temp exhaust stuff.  It was fine initially but after a good blast, it melted and burnt off leaving a real mess, but it had a hi-po engine and ran hot which might be why.
I'm currently trying to find something similar and have come across this: http://www.zircotec.com/page/--performance-white/41
I have a friend who builds racing porsches and have asked him if he's heard of these guys or has an alternative.  As soon as I know I'll let you know if you want.
Cheers
Stuart
Neil Davies

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 00:05:48 am »

Tom, I've just used BBQ paint in the past, and it's fine on the mufflers. It's got to go on in thin coats, and the mufflers have got to be clean, so maybe get them sandblasted first, then BBQ paint them straight after?

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
hotrodsurplus

It's not how fast you go; it's how you go fast.

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 02:30:31 am »

It's not cheap like paint but Cerakote is the real deal ceramic coating. It's an ambient-cure finish meaning it requires no oven for curing. It's good to 1,800 degrees Fahrenheit (982 Celsius for the logical rest of the world). The best part is that it's available in tons of colors. No, I take that back: the best part is that it doesn't require oven curing and it works.

Cerakote also makes an oven-cure ceramic coating. It cures at 500F (260C) for an hour so any powder shop can cure it for you. The rep at the SEMA show assured me that there's no durability difference between the air-cured and oven-cured coatings. The primary difference is that the oven-cured coating is available in a high-gloss finish, to which I say big deal.

It goes on as a liquid. As I understand it the material is self catalyzing. Water isolates the catalyst from the resins so as it evaporates the catalyst and resin bind and react. The rep maintains that there's no reason to pay anyone to ceramic coat anything unless you want to have someone else do it. And it costs a hell of a lot less than having someone ceramic coat parts by the conventional way.

I know one person who's run it. It's been on for probably two years. The car doesn't see that much use (a few thousand miles a year) and the manifolds are even perfectly gray still. The only caveat is that the surface has to be absolutely clean and free of rust. But that's the case with any coating.

The rep told me that a quart would do a pair of V-8 headers and then some--maybe even a whole exhaust system. I would imagine that a pint would do a Volkswagen header and muffler. A quart is $130 and a pint is $70.

It also ships worldwide.

www.cerakotehightemp.com

Chris Shelton. Professional liar.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: