The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 12:39:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  How Low is your Ride and Why?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: How Low is your Ride and Why?  (Read 23451 times)
Gary Justus

« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2007, 22:20:31 pm »

who's head was stuck up his butts Grin
alfie the monster

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2007, 22:25:04 pm »

s    HERE is a Picture of what the Cal Look is About there is no other way to Build a Cal Look 

NO ONE BUILDS CAL-LOOK CARS THAT WAY ANYMORE... Shocked AT LEAST HERE IN THE STATES.. Roll Eyes

Not sure about the States..,

But Uncle Al from Defcon3 builds them like it in the UK  Wink

JG54 Grunherz
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2007, 22:26:01 pm »

s    HERE is a Picture of what the Cal Look is About there is no other way to Build a Cal Look 

NO ONE BUILDS CAL-LOOK CARS THAT WAY ANYMORE... Shocked AT LEAST HERE IN THE STATES.. Roll Eyes

Not sure about the States..,

But Uncle Al from Defcon3 builds them like it in the UK  Wink

Drool

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
alfie the monster

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2007, 23:42:56 pm »

Perhaps we should cal it UK Look instead of Cal Look  Shocked

Or Belgium Look  Wink

Or plain old European Look  Cheesy

So if you guys could ship over the hot sunny weather, we'd love you forever  Cool

JG54 Grunherz
JOHN CANALES

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2007, 23:54:03 pm »

You just said it!! Read what you Said NO ONE BUILDS CAL-LOOK CARS THAT WAY ANYMORE that's right the Stuff you drive is a Wanta Be a Cal Look anyone can Slam a Car to the Ground and add all the J.C.Whittney Crap on It then try to say its a Cal Look.

WANNA BE CAL-LOOK? COME ON  BUDDY, TRUST ME THE GFK LOOK (AS ITS BEEN SAID) IS NO WAY A WANNA BE CAL-LOOK. NEVER WAS AND NEVER WILL BE.. I'M NOT BAGGIN ON CAL-LOOK I LOVE ALL TYPES OF LOOKS. EVEN HAVE PEOPLE I  CALL FRIENDS IN ONE OF THE OLDEST CAL-LOOK CLUB (DKP).. I'M JUST POINTING OUT THAT THE PICTURE FROM THE CAL-LOOK BIBLE AND SOME OF THE NEWEST AND BEST CAL-LOOK CARS FROM THE STATES; DOUG M., ARRON B.,RYAN R.,RANDY G.,AND THERE ARE OTHERS THAT DID NOT FOLLOW THAT SO CALLED "WHAT CAL-LOOK SHOULD BE"... ..... THEY ALL HAVE SIDE MOULDINGS, WINDOW RUBBER WITH TRIM, VENT WING DOORS, FULL BUMPERS... YES THEY ARE RAKED IN THE BACK WITH BIG MOTORS BUT THATS ABOUT IT...

P.S. THERE IS SOME SURVIVORS STILL OUT THERE AROUND, I'M NOT SAYING THERE IS NO MORE CAL-LOOK STYLE CARS ONE THAT COMES TO MIND IS GARY J. 64,... STILL RUNNING STRONG I BELIEVE 25 YEARS NOW
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 00:03:08 am by JOHN CANALES » Logged

THE GERMAN FOLKS VW KLUB
The Ideaman

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2007, 01:39:32 am »

What ever happened to old "Berg Jr." ?  He was intially a real Berg proponent, and then all of a sudden he went just the other way and started pissing off people.  Met him at Frenchy's party some years ago, and he went on a rant about Chinese missiles being funded by VW cranks being pointed towards his kids.  Full of all sorts of colorful language.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 03:38:41 am by The Ideaman » Logged

It is the soldier,
Who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped in the flag,
Who allows the protestor to burn the flag.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2007, 01:44:00 am »

mmm, that car sits just right. Are there any other pics? Specs? Who owns it? Been in any mags yet?

Thanks,

--louis

Louis Brooks

Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2007, 08:44:38 am »

If one reads the Cal-look drawing... one soon see that such cars havent been buillt for ages!
-When did you last see tinted ONLY rear side windows?
-When did you last see handmade Nerfbars? 
-And how about the flush mounted Licence plate WITH accessory light?

I dare you to build one Shubee!!  Grin

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
alfie the monster

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2007, 10:10:45 am »

mmm, that car sits just right. Are there any other pics? Specs? Who owns it? Been in any mags yet?

Thanks,

--louis

I think the owner's called Kurt, and he's from The Flatlanders VW Club. Volks World feature last year I think  Huh OG BRM's on a 67 Standard, awesome car. I might have some more pics somewhere on my home computer. I think the owner might be on here though  Smiley

JG54 Grunherz
LuftsickTero

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2007, 10:52:14 am »

I think the owner's called Kurt, and he's from The Flatlanders VW Club. Volks World feature last year I think  Huh

Kurt van Perre, Flatline Lowriders..

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2007, 12:42:37 pm »

If one reads the Cal-look drawing... one soon see that such cars havent been buillt for ages!
-When did you last see tinted ONLY rear side windows?
-When did you last see handmade Nerfbars? 
-And how about the flush mounted Licence plate WITH accessory light?

I dare you to build one Shubee!!  Grin
It is in the Works I am Building my 58 Ragtop Just like the Picture but Will Have an NOS EMPI deck lid will be a SunRoof and Wheels will Be Americans the Nerf Bars will be swaped for Hex T Bars motor will be my 84x94 IDA Motor that put out 237 H.P. on the Dyno @6500  so In the Future if you see some Old Fart Driving an Old Cal Look it might be me
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 12:45:30 pm by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2007, 12:58:13 pm »

I am Really Shocked that The Cal Look Started Here In Orange County Calif back in the Early 70's Which I was A Part Of of the Old School VW Clubs and Cars But I have To Say the Europeans have the USA Beat Hands Down On Building A Correct Cal Look none of there cars are Over Dunn Trailer Queens there cars are built right and sit right tastefull set of wheels big motors and Driven that what a Cal Look Was Built For Back in the 70's  look at these cars now They Have The Look  not sure if we should call it the Cal Look Since They Are Better at it then We Are But In any Case  Your Cars Look Great And Support the Real Old School Cal Look..
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 13:19:37 pm by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
ESH

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2007, 13:01:02 pm »

(Barring the bracketed text) THE FEB '75 HOT VW'S CAL-LOOK DRAWING TEXT IS ALL IN CAPITALS!
alfie the monster

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2007, 13:14:20 pm »

I am Really Shocked that The Cal Look Started Here In Orange County Calif back in the Early 70's Which I was A Part Of of the Old School VW Clubs and Cars But I have To Say the Europeans have the USA Beat Hands Down On Building A Correct Cal Look none of there cars are Over Dunn Trailer Queens there cars are built right and sit right tastefull set of wheels big motors and Driven that what a Cal Look Was Built For Back in the 70's  look at these cars now They Have The Look  not sure if we should cal it the Cal Look Since They Are Better at it then We Are But In any Case  Your Cars Look Great And Support the Real Old School Cal Look..

I've always wondered how much the U.S cars are driven? You go to Das Drag Day and EBI, and you see cars driven from the UK, France, Belgium, Germany, Holland, Finland  Shocked and so on. These are all big motored cars, and get driven hard without a second thought. Would you guys think of driving 600 miles + to go to  a show  Huh

JG54 Grunherz
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2007, 13:14:45 pm »

You just said it!! Read what you Said NO ONE BUILDS CAL-LOOK CARS THAT WAY ANYMORE that's right the Stuff you drive is a Wanta Be a Cal Look anyone can Slam a Car to the Ground and add all the J.C.Whittney Crap on It then try to say its a Cal Look.

WANNA BE CAL-LOOK? COME ON  BUDDY, TRUST ME THE GFK LOOK (AS ITS BEEN SAID) IS NO WAY A WANNA BE CAL-LOOK. NEVER WAS AND NEVER WILL BE.. I'M NOT BAGGIN ON CAL-LOOK I LOVE ALL TYPES OF LOOKS. EVEN HAVE PEOPLE I  CALL FRIENDS IN ONE OF THE OLDEST CAL-LOOK CLUB (DKP).. I'M JUST POINTING OUT THAT THE PICTURE FROM THE CAL-LOOK BIBLE AND SOME OF THE NEWEST AND BEST CAL-LOOK CARS FROM THE STATES; DOUG M., ARRON B.,RYAN R.,RANDY G.,AND THERE ARE OTHERS THAT DID NOT FOLLOW THAT SO CALLED "WHAT CAL-LOOK SHOULD BE"... ..... THEY ALL HAVE SIDE MOULDINGS, WINDOW RUBBER WITH TRIM, VENT WING DOORS, FULL BUMPERS... YES THEY ARE RAKED IN THE BACK WITH BIG MOTORS BUT THATS ABOUT IT...

P.S. THERE IS SOME SURVIVORS STILL OUT THERE AROUND, I'M NOT SAYING THERE IS NO MORE CAL-LOOK STYLE CARS ONE THAT COMES TO MIND IS GARY J. 64,... STILL RUNNING STRONG I BELIEVE 25 YEARS NOW
SOME OF THE NEWEST AND BEST CAL-LOOK CARS FROM THE STATES; DOUG M., ARRON B.,RYAN R.,RANDY G.,AND THERE ARE OTHERS THAT DID NOT FOLLOW THAT SO CALLED "WHAT CAL-LOOK SHOULD BE"... ..... THEY ALL HAVE SIDE MOULDINGS, WINDOW RUBBER WITH TRIM, VENT WING DOORS, FULL BUMPERS... YES THEY ARE RAKED IN THE BACK WITH BIG MOTORS BUT THATS ABOUT IT...  To Me Those Cars Are all RESTO CAL's  Redone Stock Car Built Motor and Trans, Flat 4's or Alloys Slamed and a Flat 4 Steering Wheel Hardly Can call that a Cal Look
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 13:17:19 pm by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2007, 13:43:19 pm »

I am Really Shocked that The Cal Look Started Here In Orange County Calif back in the Early 70's Which I was A Part Of of the Old School VW Clubs and Cars But I have To Say the Europeans have the USA Beat Hands Down On Building A Correct Cal Look none of there cars are Over Dunn Trailer Queens there cars are built right and sit right tastefull set of wheels big motors and Driven that what a Cal Look Was Built For Back in the 70's  look at these cars now They Have The Look  not sure if we should cal it the Cal Look Since They Are Better at it then We Are But In any Case  Your Cars Look Great And Support the Real Old School Cal Look..

I've always wondered how much the U.S cars are driven? You go to Das Drag Day and EBI, and you see cars driven from the UK, France, Belgium, Germany, Holland, Finland  Shocked and so on. These are all big motored cars, and get driven hard without a second thought. Would you guys think of driving 600 miles + to go to  a show  Huh

IMHO trailers are for boats. It is one of the reasons why the '67 will have undercoating instead of a shiny powder coated pan. I plan to drive it, a lot. Folks used to do that on the Berg cruise and it looked like a lot of fun. People don't take me serious when I say I want to drive my '67 from Florida to California for the Classic in a few years. (A little over 2000 miles)

I am Really Shocked that The Cal Look Started Here In Orange County Calif back in the Early 70's Which I was A Part Of of the Old School VW Clubs and Cars But I have To Say the Europeans have the USA Beat Hands Down On Building A Correct Cal Look none of there cars are Over Dunn Trailer Queens there cars are built right and sit right tastefull set of wheels big motors and Driven that what a Cal Look Was Built For Back in the 70's  look at these cars now They Have The Look  not sure if we should call it the Cal Look Since They Are Better at it then We Are But In any Case  Your Cars Look Great And Support the Real Old School Cal Look..

I have thought for a long time that the cars coming out of Europe were/are some of the best Cal-look cars being built. (The Japanese build some nice ones too though.) American built cars seem to be more of the German Folks or DRKC style cars. Full trim, full interiors, big motors, built mostly for show. One of the reasons I seem to spend more time on this forum lately than the CLF. (Well that and the attitudes.)

--louis

Louis Brooks

Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2007, 14:37:12 pm »

IMHO trailers are for boats. It is one of the reasons why the '67 will have undercoating instead of a shiny powder coated pan. I plan to drive it, a lot. Folks used to do that on the Berg cruise and it looked like a lot of fun. People don't take me serious when I say I want to drive my '67 from Florida to California for the Classic in a few years. (A little over 2000 miles)

I have thought for a long time that the cars coming out of Europe were/are some of the best Cal-look cars being built. (The Japanese build some nice ones too though.) American built cars seem to be more of the German Folks or DRKC style cars. Full trim, full interiors, big motors, built mostly for show. One of the reasons I seem to spend more time on this forum lately than the CLF. (Well that and the attitudes.)

--louis
Louis its nice to know there are still a few of us alive that No What a True Cal Look Looks Like and they were Built to be Driven Back in The Day most of the motor Sizes were 69x88 (1700)  69x92 (1835) 74x88 (1900) most motors ran a 120 or 130 engle cam a set of Berg Heads or Fumio Heads 48 IDA's and most of these cars ran very low 13's in Full Cal LOOK Trim and were Driven Daily and By the Way Its more then 2000 mile's to the classic LOL  I am just south of Dallas Texas and its 1,580 mile's from here

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Lanny Hussey

« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2007, 14:44:02 pm »

This appears to be a rear height issue, drop my 67 a few inches in the rear, it's a completely different look. Is my car 'Cal Look' or 'Resto Cal'? I just built it to please the DKP boys. Wink.next year its back to the plan...Mulholland Look.
As for trailering, well, most people who knock it don't own a tow vehicle or a trailer. Glorious A/C, auto,cruise,... Seriously, I have driven my 67 to The Classic, 2000 KM each way, no problem. The 8.2 CR 1776 was great, ran cool, pulled up the grapevine as fast as I wanted. Getting caught in the rain is my #1 reason I trailer any great distance.

1967, the only year that matters.
alfie the monster

« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2007, 15:03:33 pm »

ROAD TRIP  Grin

A man after my own heart  Wink

I've got a new Golf 2.0 TDi which would be a great tow car, a/c and all the bells, but my cars only been trailered once (well twice if you include the low loader home after blowing the box racing). And when it was trailered, it was due to the motor not being connected up as it wasn't ready for the Volks World show...

I've cleaned my pan up and had it painted up nice and pretty, then had it covered in thick stone chip  Wink

When I eventually get it back, I'll drive the nuts off it  Grin

JG54 Grunherz
Jon
Administrator

« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2007, 15:07:04 pm »

(Barring the bracketed text) THE FEB '75 HOT VW'S CAL-LOOK DRAWING TEXT IS ALL IN CAPITALS!

WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY??!!  Grin

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2007, 15:07:48 pm »

This appears to be a rear height issue, drop my 67 a few inches in the rear, it's a completely different look. Is my car 'Cal Look' or 'Resto Cal'? I just built it to please the DKP boys. Wink.next year its back to the plan...Mulholland Look.
As for trailering, well, most people who knock it don't own a tow vehicle or a trailer. Glorious A/C, auto,cruise,... Seriously, I have driven my 67 to The Classic, 2000 KM each way, no problem. The 8.2 CR 1776 was great, ran cool, pulled up the grapevine as fast as I wanted. Getting caught in the rain is my #1 reason I trailer any great distance.

You have a great car Lanny. I can only hope mine turns out half as nice.

I am mostly referring to people who only drive their car on and off the trailer. I could trailer my car if I wanted too. But I like cars to work on and drive. Not sit around some grass or asphalt lot polishing rims and shooing away people who might leave finger prints on the paint. Its a VW, not a D-type.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2007, 15:09:33 pm »

This appears to be a rear height issue, drop my 67 a few inches in the rear, it's a completely different look. Is my car 'Cal Look' or 'Resto Cal'? I just built it to please the DKP boys.

Hello Lanny you car is Very nice and well Done but it is more of a RESTO Cal And it is built just like the DKP Cars of today All the Trim and Bumpers left on, as far as trailing a Car like yours or anyother Cal Look  I might do it for the First few Shows But After That It Would Be Street Driven What Good or Fun is a Car You cant Enjoy to Me I would Ratther Drive It Then Worry about a Rain Drop on it you spend all the Money to Redo a Car Then it sits in the garage under a Car Cover I can Think of alot of other things I could do with the Money Spent On A Car thats sits and Collects Dust....
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 15:12:56 pm by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2007, 15:12:06 pm »

Just need to lose those bumpers.  Tongue

--louis

Louis Brooks

Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2007, 15:13:40 pm »

Just need to lose those bumpers.  Tongue

--louis
and the trim

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Jon
Administrator

« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2007, 15:15:24 pm »

Wow that car sits HARD on that picture!! Nice CAR Lanny!!  Wink

alfie the monster

« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2007, 16:00:57 pm »

Lanny's car is awesome, except if he gives it the Mulholland look  Shocked

Then he'll have to send Tims T shirt back  Wink

JG54 Grunherz
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2007, 16:07:18 pm »

He Can Send Me the T Shirt I am 100% Old School and a 100% Old Fart Grin Grin Grin

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Gary Justus

« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2007, 16:21:30 pm »

Thanks for the compliment, John....Meant to drive? Yes.....My cars was daily driven for almost 11 years. Even back and forth from Chino to Anaheim for about 6 of those. Now, I'm just trying to preserve it. It comes out when it needs to.
alfie the monster

« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2007, 16:42:53 pm »

He Can Send Me the T Shirt I am 100% Old School and a 100% Old Fart Grin Grin Grin

There's already one old fart (sorry Sarge  Grin) waiting for one

JG54 Grunherz
ESH

« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2007, 17:09:09 pm »

WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY??!!  Grin

I'VE NO IDEA!!! Tongue
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: