The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 16:07:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Steer me right folks!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Steer me right folks!  (Read 5189 times)
andy198712

« on: August 25, 2012, 21:58:36 pm »

Hello,

i've not been here long but enjoyed reading and taking it all in, also amazed to see some huge names here all helping and chipping in, including the writer of the book sat next to my bed! (Hello)

anyway, the dilemma:

i started out thinking i would build a warm 1641, that turned into a 1776, which grew to a 1955, which is now and finally not gonna change a 2110cc engine.

so here's my spec of what i have thus far

-D code engine cases, full flowed, waiting to be bored out

-CB super race 82mm crank, VW journal

-CB unitech HD plus rods

-FK8 cam

-CB straight cuts

-CB bigfoot lifters (thinking of swapping to TP ones)

-Bugpack drysump pump

-Bugpack HD alu pushrods

-Jaycee PR tubes

-Bugpack 1.4 forged rockers

-CB044 40x35 oval ported and unshrouded by me

-Fuel injection via megasquirt same with crank triggered ignition

so thats my current spec, i havnt brought the 90.5 b's yet.  i also intend to coat the friction surfaces with DFL and probably do the heads and barrels with a heat dispersant coating.

my question is, this is a daily, and i use it for work ect it'll be going in a 1972 beetle 1200.

am i stupid to consider turboing it?!

if i go NA i was going to use GSXR TBI's on adapted twin carb manifolds. if i went turbo i was going to go with cb twinport manifold ends with injectors and single TB, cb hideaway header and unsure of turbo......

any experience and input?

Thanks alot!

P.S its my first aircooled build, and i know some parts are a bit OTT like the dry sump, efi ect but thats the part i enjoy, going that extra mile and making it a challenge

andy198712

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 22:01:34 pm »

forgot to add, all rotating assemble will be dynamically balanced, rods end to ended, pistons matched, head CC's ect....
richie

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 22:17:46 pm »

I think you should turbo it,but you might have a problem fitting that CB header with the dry sump pump,I havent tried it so dont know for sure but space is pretty tight down there.

I would start with a new engine case if it was me though

cheers richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
andy198712

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 22:28:37 pm »

I think you should turbo it,but you might have a problem fitting that CB header with the dry sump pump,I havent tried it so dont know for sure but space is pretty tight down there.

I would start with a new engine case if it was me though

cheers richie

i was really keen on the whole drysump idea although it does seem a bit of a pain, with the issues it chucks up, it has knock on effects on what pulley/trigger system i can run which is more money ect and exhausts as you state.....

i didnt think about the turbo header and the pump.... thats the kinda help i was after so thanks Smiley

a new case really blows my budget out the water, in an ideal world i would love one! but budget is a big factor
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 14:19:32 pm »

You haven't bought the pistons and cylinders, and you haven't cut the case yet, so clearly it's time to step up to 94's Wink
If it's a daily, I'd set it up n/a first, get it sorted, then put the turbo on when you're ready. Just my opinion.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 15:27:32 pm »

Check this thread, you will find a lot of informations.  Wink

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,3257.0.html

andy198712

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 10:29:13 am »

You haven't bought the pistons and cylinders, and you haven't cut the case yet, so clearly it's time to step up to 94's Wink
If it's a daily, I'd set it up n/a first, get it sorted, then put the turbo on when you're ready. Just my opinion.

i know i know lol
andy198712

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 10:29:56 am »

Check this thread, you will find a lot of informations.  Wink

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,3257.0.html

cheers i'll get cracking on that, i've flicked through before but not taken loads in, some nice tricks in it though!
andy198712

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 23:39:09 pm »

well, just an update, i will go turbo, will drive it NA for a little while to get fuel maps licked then add a turbo header and hair dryer to the mix Smiley

the big question is... what cam?!?!?!?!

whats the current train of thought with regards to cams and turbos? will be EFI crank fired, and thinking charge cooled with/and/or water injection...
Fiatdude

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 13:05:31 pm »

I got to compare the CB dry sumps vs the bugpak and I thought the CB was a better unit -- a lot of the road race guys are using it with a 3 gallon tank with very good results

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
Worm
DKK

Whose stupid idea was that?

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 15:30:34 pm »

"...... including the writer of the book sat next to my bed! (Hello)..."

I think we should discuss Keith sitting next to this guys bed.....  Creepy.

"Pretending to know everything closes the door on whats really there"
andy198712

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 16:30:48 pm »

"...... including the writer of the book sat next to my bed! (Hello)..."

I think we should discuss Keith sitting next to this guys bed.....  Creepy.

that did come out wrong!!  Grin
andy198712

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 16:31:59 pm »

I got to compare the CB dry sumps vs the bugpak and I thought the CB was a better unit -- a lot of the road race guys are using it with a 3 gallon tank with very good results

hasnt the cb pump got 26/26mm gearset? my bugpack has 60/30.... would have thought it would have been alot better? what was wrong with the BP one over the CB one?
modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 03:07:28 am »

I went the other way in years gone past. Rather than build a bigger cc motor, I turbo'd the small one for a bit more stick. I've also had a few turbo hotrods over the years (still have a TT Supra sitting here now).

Turbos are great fun, simple, easy, huge power, it's all good, until.........

........the roads get wet or greasy/slippery, then you'll get your mirrors sucked off by a stock Hyundai Excel, the power spinning the wheels won't stop until a whole second after you've lifted, so if the tail comes out it will KEEP coming out (envisage light throttle, slight aquaplane at 100kph, turning into a slight overboost condition in less than a second, which slowly aims the car at the centre wall, in the Freeway in peak hour traffic........). Although, these experiences with my TT To#¤ta's over the years haven't stopped me from getting another one! HAHAHA!

For a daily, my opinion is that turbo 2110 would be complete shite (but then again, I always was a scaredy-cat  Roll Eyes), and a responsive torquey GSXR NA 2110 would be really nice, cheap EFI, good 200HP with stock injectors, sounds great, it's all good.  Grin
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: