The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 27, 2024, 23:46:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351082 Posts in 28639 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Looks like I'm back in the fold, what color???
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Looks like I'm back in the fold, what color???  (Read 5043 times)
Larry S

« on: February 23, 2014, 01:45:11 am »

Well it seems like I am back in the fold! My old black 57 rag now belongs to Mr. Ritchie and my 58 euro rag is now in Florida. It has been over 3 years without a VW title in hand. A friend of mine has had a 56 oval (no ragtop) for 20 years. he took it apart about 18 years ago and it has been stored since. I had always told him to let me know if and when he was ready to get rid of it and I got the call today. The car is apart but very solid. He has had a lot of people bugging him to sell it but he choose me because he knew the car would be done right. He thinks it was originally beige with red interior, I will have to check. I do like the beige but I also love coral red. I am thinking Frenchy's Oval as an inspiration. Can some of you guys hit me with some pics of cars with the colors I mentioned? I am also thinking wide five centerlines.
Thanks for your help!

Larry Schultz

Plan your work, work your plan, with precision and excellence.
hotrodsurplus

It's not how fast you go; it's how you go fast.

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 21:10:43 pm »

He thinks it was originally beige with red interior, I will have to check. I do like the beige but I also love coral red. I am thinking Frenchy's Oval as an inspiration. Can some of you guys hit me with some pics of cars with the colors I mentioned? I am also thinking wide five centerlines.
Thanks for your help!

If you're painting the car an original color then restore it and put steel wheels and a 36er in it.

But if you're building a Cal Look car then follow in the tradition of the pioneers and paint it in a color that was really popular (or at least plausible) for the period you're trying to capture. The whole point to build a cal-look Volkswagen was to shed the cultural baggage of slow, sensible cars and redefine them as something cool and popular. And that meant using a color that was popular when a car got rebuilt as a looker.

Need a litmus test? Think of what color good ol' dad would've told you to paint your car. Then do the exact opposite.

Also, why use Frenchy's (or anybody else's) car as inspiration? If their cars are cool or famous enough to mimic then your car will always be in their car's shadow. Instead of doing as Frenchy did then do as Frenchy would do now. I bet he wouldn't build another coral oval.

Go to autocolorlibrary.com and look at what colors were available during the cal look golden age of the '70s and early '80s. There were LOTS of cool colors to choose from during that period. 

The cal-look world is full of lock-step cars that wear the same VW and Porsche colors. Have the grapes to build a full-on cal-look car and not another resto-cal or whatever people call them now. 

Chris Shelton. Professional liar.
Russell

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 21:40:03 pm »

Larry

Im going to suggest Black as you had Black 57, Rod had the Black 67 and your dads car was errr White with Green......

Or Iris Blue on a oval so cool

Let me know your address by PM and I will ship you a free Gasser Garage shifter for your new VW

Good luck and enjoy, post some pictures pls

Cheers

Russell

Best Regards

Russell
Larry S

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 03:01:24 am »

Thanks Hot Rod Surplus for the link, very cool place to spend some time looking at colors......

Thank you Russell for the shifter offer. I will PM you and use it with pride.  Grin
I will post some pics when we pull her from the shed, I hope to get it this weekend if the weather cooperates. I have been watching the SAMBA but never really saw the right car for the right price, close enough to me to make it worth it, but my patience seems to have paid off. It has been a LONG time since I have seen it but it's been tucked away so it should be fine.

Larry

Larry S

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 23:37:06 pm »

Well I picked up the 56 today, she is in very good shape. The pan is solid and so is the body. It has all four original fenders, original 4 tab hood and the original W deck lid. The dash is uncut  also. I got all the glass, the seats, a 36 hp motor and a 40hp i think. It pretty much has everything except the front bumper ( I want T bars). I also got the front end and crash box trans. I got all of this for $800. It has a really old roof rack so maybe that will bring me some money to buy something good for the car! I will start a thread on the in the works folder here in the next few weeks.
Larry

Larry S

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 23:46:14 pm »

A few more pics, I think I got my $800. worth!

Neil Davies

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 23:58:40 pm »

If you want to go for a Porsche colour, try this: http://www.elferhelfer.com/farbdatenbank.html
The oval needs dechroming tho!

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Larry S

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 00:21:07 am »

Original fenders and decklid [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

56BLITZ
DKK

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 05:34:09 am »

Must be a VERY GOOD friend . . . you got a nice project for an even nicer price!

Jesucristo es mi Seņor y Salvador!
58vw

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 21:48:48 pm »

awesome pick up

www.4inbore.com
Angleflows...order them now
modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 23:15:02 pm »

WOW!!!  Shocked Shocked Shocked
I paid that for my '73 Super! lol!

Amazing condition.
Cornpanzer

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 19:05:54 pm »

Wow, want to double your money? Nice score.

1967 Porsche Aga Blue! 

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
nicolas

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 20:20:28 pm »

Wow, want to double your money? Nice score.

1967 Porsche Aga Blue! 

right on on that color!

nice score and it really must be a good friend.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: