The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 19:48:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  cal look trim and tires
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: cal look trim and tires  (Read 7350 times)
kielbasa

« on: January 08, 2015, 06:10:37 am »

Need some opinions on a few things for my current project a 55 . Here is the link to the build
http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,23978.0.html

I finally decided to go full cal look and shave the trim. I'm curious if I should remove the 4 tab emblem as well? I've some some cars with and without. To me it kinda seems a little out of place when the rest of the hood molding isn't there. I got a buddy who says he'd leave it. Not sure which way to go with it.

Also next step is tires. Current wheels are 14x6 and currently have 195/60/14s up front and 205/75/14 on the back.
I want to keep 195/60s up front, but the back I'm not too sure about. I like the side wall height but wouldnt mind a little meat on the ground.
Speaking of side walls. I would much prefer to go with redlines. But that's an extra $600 to get them made, not to mention shipping and burning them up at the local track meets. So we are left with white letters or standard black walls. If white letters which tire company would you go with? I think cooper cobras are one of the better looking of the white letter styles.

dont you dare tell me turbo is better then N/A
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 08:26:13 am »

Your questions are personal preference, but I'll take a stab at it.
If you're loosing the trim, loose the emblem. The emblem is trim.
If you want some more width but a similar (only 0.3" taller) height, try a 225/70.
If the white letters are something cool like M&H, Firestone Wide Oval, etc, that's cool to see. No one cares that you have Cooper Cobra's. Reminds me of something you see on an anemic mid 70's "muscle car".

You wouldn't happen to be Polish, would you?

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 09:24:56 am »

redlines aren't cal look in my opinion just go with a normal tyres without white lettering also just my opinion too

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
kielbasa

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 16:20:52 pm »

I don't know what it is about red lines. But I think they are cool, just expensive. I hear ya on the emblem I was leaning towards losing it. Just gotta weld up the 4 tab and piss some more people off.
I understand coopers aren't that cool just one of the better looking adorable radials. Would be cool to see Hoosier in the back Wink

javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 17:04:46 pm »

Just gotta weld up the 4 tab and piss some more people off.

Reason enough to do it right there. Congratulations, also, on welding up the trim — it's gonna look killer.

The rest is, as Zach said, personal preference. I love redlines, too, but only when they're relevant. Checking off a list of "cool parts" doesn't guarantee a cool end product. Now, I'm not telling you not to do it; by all means if you just gotta have 'em ...

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Neil Davies

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 22:17:31 pm »

Personally I would keep the 4 tab emblem. I just like them! I'd paint the grooves in black though, just to add a little detail to it.
Tyre-wise, unless they're slicks I think raised white letters look dreadful on a Cal Looker. Even the Firestone Wide Ovals! I like Zach's suggestion of 225/70s, if they'll fit, but I'd go a little narrower on the front, maybe a 175 or 185 tops.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
kielbasa

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 00:16:14 am »

Why the skinny tire up front? I can't stand a skinny tire on a fat rim might as well be into water cooled vws and Hondas Wink

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 01:01:59 am »

A smaller front tire will get more of that cal look, big and little thing going on. A 175 or 185 isn't exactly skinny, either. A 185 fits a 6" rim very well. In my experience, anything wider than a 185 on the front of a light weight street driven Beetle isn't neccessary, it will hydroplane very easily.

kielbasa

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 18:00:11 pm »

I'm curious how noticeable the difference is from a 185 to 195 on a lowered car. Only noticable while turning. Also the 185 us a little taller and would kinda take away from the big/little look right? After all the sidewall is what makes most of the obvious difference. But I wouldn't mind a slightly taller tire. I like the idea of the bigger footprint for better braking. I'm not worried about hydroplaning much. Don't plan on driving 100mph in the rain or hitting a huge puddle. (Did that once in my old 83 datsun 280zx, a little spooky when you start going sideways)

Guess I got some more deciding to do.

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 19:00:43 pm »

195/60r14= 23.21"
185/65r14= 23.46"

Could you tell a 1/4" difference?

Hydroplaning happened on my old car (with 195/60r15's) waaaaayy before 100mph. I remember it happening at slow speeds, under 30mph. Not fun at all. There's very little weight on the front end of a Beetle.

Not to get too off topic but, your 8" narrowed beam is going to do scary things for the handling. I dig the 14's, but if it was my ride I would seriously consider having the centers cut out and the offset changed.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 19:03:55 pm by Zach Gomulka » Logged

kielbasa

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 19:38:33 pm »

Not as easy as you think. I've talked to a dozen shops and none want to touch the wheel. With the aluminum center steel outer combo. Also the 68 which was stolen had a 5" beam I built for it. It had zero issues with driving and handling. You never would have known it was narrowed (needed to be because 4lug centerlines)
I've talked to a guy who has done an 8" beam for the insane. Narrowed look and said no issues either. If I have problems down the road when the thing finally drives, I'll deal with it then, as of right now I'm not too worried.

Also like wise can you tell the ~1/2" difference of tread width on. A lowered car? I understand it's all personal preference, but its also a give and take situation too. Also I'll notice the 1/4" difference since the tires are so close to wire tubes already, and I'll have to limit the turning radius even more.

Smiley

The 185s do have some cheaper options though

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2015, 01:40:50 am »

You asked for opinions, those are mine Wink

kielbasa

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2015, 04:53:36 am »

I understand that and I appreciate it. Gives me more to go by and alot more to think about.

kielbasa

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, 20:38:03 pm »

Finally got my wheel studs changed out in the hubs. After bolting the front end together and getting the car on the ground for real without wheels trying to fall off. I think I need to go up a size and do a 195/65/14. Fender gap looks a bit much, and the 65 series would bump me up 3/4 an inch. I may have to limit the steering radius a bit more afterwards though. I got a buddy who says it's perfect the way it is. But looking at most cars on here I haven't really seen a gap this much.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: