The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 06:05:31 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350860 Posts in 28605 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Type IV thermostat missing, which option to replace it?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Type IV thermostat missing, which option to replace it?  (Read 1447 times)
j-f

Jean-François

« on: April 08, 2015, 19:57:45 pm »

Hi,

I bought a nice 1.7l type 4 engine from a 914 to use in my bay window. It's fairly complete, but the thermostat, pulley, cable and flaps are missing. I don't like to run an engine without a thermostat as it never reach his working temp.
If I can't find good replacement parts, is this a good option to delete the stock oil cooler and use a remote one with an inline thermostat? I can drill and tape the stock oil cooler holes and run hoses to an external oil cooler. It may take longer to reach his operating temp, but could this work?
It's not a camper, it's not a daily driver and I would like to put a type1 back in a later. The stock engine was on his last leg when I bought the Kombi, and this one came up for sale cheaper that rebuild a stock 1600cc. I "only" need and exhaust, engine tin and maybe a type4 gearbox.

Thanks  Wink
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 18:11:33 pm »

Just get a new one here,  http://www.awesomepowdercoat.com/thermostat_new_used_rebuilt.html  And you will be aready to roll.

T
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 19:34:56 pm »

Thanks Torben  Wink
That's a usefull link.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: