The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 16:13:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350841 Posts in 28603 Topics by 6826 Members
Latest Member: Kona@2528
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  DTA E48 any good
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: DTA E48 any good  (Read 6668 times)
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« on: April 12, 2015, 11:46:31 am »

Been offered a DTA E48 ecu cheep

assuming that it's quite old model so the software still available ? Any good ?

Thanks in advance

Regards Ron
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 12:13:28 pm by Ron Elliot » Logged

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
Andy Sykes

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 17:57:14 pm »

Not sure if you can still download the software as DTA has stopped trading but the E48 is ok

I love the haters they make me famous.

im building this not just putting parts together, they are two totally different things

Your only here once turn it up to 11
morkrieger

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 18:20:19 pm »

DTA has changed hands and the intention is to continue and improve on their products (just a new owner)  Grin

http://www.dtafast.co.uk/news/latest_news.shtml#Changes
spoolin70

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 19:39:54 pm »

Hi Ron

What are you actually looking for from the DTA ? Have you checked the spec to make sure it can do everything you need ?

I've used an E48 for a few years now. First with a distributor and carbs with a turbo then later on changed to throttle bodies and crank trigger/coil pack. Never had a problem with the ecu itself, connected to it via a laptop and changed some setting and checked some numbers a couple of times but essentially once it was mapped, I've left it alone to do it's thing.

Some of the screens available for mapping and info are a little basic by todays standards, some are just blocks of numbers where as on the later S series ecu's they are nice 3D graphs. Still the same information though, just presented differently.

Most modern ecu's will still give you the same results as long as the person doing the mapping is conversely with your ecu of choice. More expensive models like Motech, Haltech etc might be able to operate a digital dash, control anti-lag, multiple wheel speed sensors, batch injection etc but do you really need that for your application ?? The E48 still has some good features even if it is considered old by todays standards.

Hope that helps
Darren

Rocket Ron

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 06:39:27 am »

Thanks for all replys

Darren I was looking at a couple of jenvey throttle bodies and crank trigger ignition so nothing too fancy.,although after reading your comprehensive post it looks like it maybe worth saving for a newer s series model

Regards Ron

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

spoolin70

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 07:01:15 am »

Morning Ron

If your planning on making adjustments yourself, maybe at the track while people are talking to you or bringing you tea, a newer model would be easier to understand and view but ultimately give the same results as the E48. I connected to mine only a couple of times and it felt like I was plugged into a Super Nintendo haha. My phone has better graphics  Cheesy

It will though easily handle what you have described, so if it's cheap enough I'd use it.

If your feeling flush, there is a Motec on eBay at the moment starting at £500 with no bids !
Be aware though, Motec's from what I've read require extras to be unlocked via upgrades I think so if you decide on traction control later or flat shifting, it costs to unlock it.

There is a motec display too  Wink

Thanks
Darren
dannyboy

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 19:13:00 pm »

the aem ems4 has a load of extra features than the s40 for the same price and if you are looking to go efi you will do well to beat a speedshop setup my vert runs really smooth a far better setup than the old cb efi system i used to have and i dont think it comes out much more than a set of idas and a msd setup

8.77@156.8mph 
O/FF 60
Rocket Ron

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 19:28:47 pm »

Been too slow and the ecu I was offered is gone already ,on the positive side of things it will give me some more time to access the various options and have a look around

Never know may find a bargain

Thanks for your pointers so far lads

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: