The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 12:26:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  are front brakes necessary?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: are front brakes necessary?  (Read 8802 times)
tikimadness

« on: December 30, 2012, 17:28:35 pm »

Building my car I'm running discs in the rear and have a chute if the times come down.Is it mandatory to use front brakes?

Running spindle mounts now, I'v seen some options on how to mount a rotor to them but I'm inn doubt if that's the way to go if you are after single digits Grin

Michael

member of team YAC ; the guys who write history.

GASSER GARAGE  a few friends creating history.

NIDGAFWYT
Jonny Grigg

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 20:12:09 pm »

Building my car I'm running discs in the rear and have a chute if the times come down.Is it mandatory to use front brakes?

Running spindle mounts now, I'v seen some options on how to mount a rotor to them but I'm inn doubt if that's the way to go if you are after single digits Grin

Michael

I have built my car in the same vein, but when push comes to shove I am most concerned about getting enough heat in the tyres in the burnout. I haven't driven my car in its current setup but I intend to use the chute to stop it at the top end, however have now made the choice to put front brakes back into the equation.... With a spool I don't want tyres that have not been heated up as much as they could have been. I think I have also made the front of my car too light!

No Compromise. O/FF111
tikimadness

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 20:24:46 pm »

I think I have also made the front of my car too light!
Well making the front as light as possible was part of my plan so `i can add weight where i want it.But like always things run out of hand pretty soon so now I'm having a fast car without front brakes and that worries me a bit.

Seen some guys weld discs to the spindle mounts and even weld things like studs to the wheel to attach a disc but don't think I want to hit the brake hard with that kind of set up

Michael

NIDGAFWYT
MeXX

World record holder 8.733 @ 255.658

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 22:00:07 pm »

Michael

Dear Michael

It's definitely not necessary, but it's safer to have front breaks.
Because of the weight transfer there is enough weight on the front wheels for sufficient brakes.
I have discs an front and rear and have run 9.176 @ 248 km/h so far, without a chute.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

MeXX
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 22:01:57 pm by MeXX » Logged

Drag or Die
tikimadness

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 22:03:26 pm »

Heyy Mexx I have seen your brake set up. Are those race weight rims? I thought they are too thin to weld those blocks to?

Michael

NIDGAFWYT
MeXX

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 22:10:56 pm »

Heyy Mexx I have seen your brake set up. Are those race weight rims? I thought they are too thin to weld those blocks to?

Michael

Hi

These are .125 (3.2mm) thin CMS wheels.
I never had problems with these welded on studs.

MeXX

Drag or Die
Bernard Newbury

9.50 @ 141 MPH

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 22:40:04 pm »

Michael

I have built my car in the same vein, but when push comes to shove I am most concerned about getting enough heat in the tyres in the burnout. I haven't driven my car in its current setup but I intend to use the chute to stop it at the top end, however have now made the choice to put front brakes back into the equation.... With a spool I don't want tyres that have not been heated up as much as they could have been. I think I have also made the front of my car too light!

Fronts are not necessary but a 'nice to have'. Mine have been on there since I built the car and just never got round to taking them off. They are good for the burnout and that's all I use them for as I use the chute and don't  touch the brake pedal until I have turned into the waiting area.  If the chute fails I have a secondary method of braking which I believe is in the MSA rules over a certain speed etc.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 22:43:47 pm by Bernard Newbury » Logged

Before you jump, check the depth.
tikimadness

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 22:40:40 pm »

That's a real nice way you mounted them  Wink

Michael

NIDGAFWYT
tikimadness

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 22:42:02 pm »

Michael

Fronts are not necessary but a 'nice to have'. Mine have been on there since I built the car and just never got round to taking them off. They are good for the burnout and that's all I use them for as I use the chute and don't  touch the brake pedal until I have turned into the waiting area.

Ok thanks for sharing, still have a lot to learn...

Michael

NIDGAFWYT
Jonny Grigg

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 23:40:07 pm »

That is some nice craftsmanship MeXX, but to me it looks a little bit scary! You have had no distortion of the wheel or mounting with this arrangement?

No Compromise. O/FF111
dannyboy

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 00:04:12 am »

Michael

Fronts are not necessary but a 'nice to have'. Mine have been on there since I built the car and just never got round to taking them off. They are good for the burnout and that's all I use them for as I use the chute and don't  touch the brake pedal until I have turned into the waiting area.  If the chute fails I have a secondary method of braking which I believe is in the MSA rules over a certain speed etc.

i seem to remember you having to start the car up again and drive to the end of the run off at shakey last year  Grin

8.77@156.8mph 
O/FF 60
Mike Lawless

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 01:12:33 am »

I won't run a car without front brakes. But that's simply my choice. A lot of guys don't.

Here's a couple picks of my spindle mount set-up. American TrakStars on modified link pin spindles, with "funny car" front brakes. The brakes bolt right on to the the back of the wheel. Everything is pretty much off the shelf. I only had to make the caliper bracket.

Winner, 2009 Bakersfield March Meet
2006 PRA Super Gas Champion
2002-2003 DRKC Champion
http://www.lawlessdesigns.com
MeXX

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 09:12:30 am »

That is some nice craftsmanship MeXX, but to me it looks a little bit scary! You have had no distortion of the wheel or mounting with this arrangement?

It only looks scary. I've run this setup for two seasons with some hard breaking because of too short tracks and there was no distortion at all. But if you don't trust you can make the studs longer and weld them on the outer side too

MeXX

Drag or Die
henk

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 14:17:31 pm »

@MeXX
what are the calipers that you are using from?
look like radials from a motorbike?

henk!!!
MeXX

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 16:51:10 pm »

@MeXX
what are the calipers that you are using from?
look like radials from a motorbike?

henk!!!

Tocico is very light superior in quality and used ones are very cheap

MeXX

Drag or Die
funnycarmike
DKK

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 21:25:22 pm »

Ther are currently al lot of "funnycar" spindle mount front brakes for sale because of NHRA mandatory carbon fiber brakes.
blue bullet

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2015, 09:13:44 am »

hi Mexx  ,it's a disc for bike ?thx
dragvw2180

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2015, 15:52:37 pm »

After almost running off a short track like Mexx and also trying to evade an accident when someone crossed the line in front of me , I run front brakes . Are they needed, not until you get in one of those situations that you cannot foresee . Mike McCarthy
NoBars

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2015, 18:36:59 pm »

Like they say in motorcycle racing, you don't dress for the race, you dress for the crash.

I have seen it done like Mexx, but the "studs" go through to the front, and are welded on both rim halves. That seems a bit more secure to me and would add minimal weight.  I always envisioned it as being faced, and drilled tapped after welding to be a little straighter, but it seems to be working well for him.

Those look like ZX10 rotors and GSXR calipers to me.

My real name is Anthony Consorte.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: