The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 08:52:48 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Extended oil sump, Really necessary?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Extended oil sump, Really necessary?  (Read 1783 times)
runningmonkey

« on: August 19, 2015, 14:39:02 pm »

Reading the 'how to lose weight from your race car thread' I was wondering how necessary are the larger extended oil sumps? My car has the large empi 5 ltr sump on it. Meaning am carrying a lot of extra oil in my engine which goes with saying is heavy. I was thinking if I swap my sump for the smaller 2.5 ltr one, then not only am I saving weight on the sump but also saving weight by having less oil.

I then had a thought about doing away with the extended oil sump all together saving even more weight? After all she only doing 1/4 mile at a time Huh 
Donny B.

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 14:50:57 pm »

At high rpm you can drain a small sump and starve your bearings.  If your car launches hard and does wheelies the large deep sumps are better for keeping the pickup in the oil.  The wide sumps are mainly for street cars if the car wheelies it can leave the pickup out of the oil.  Hope this makes sense.  I've seen fried cranks due to the wrong sump being used by a friend the really loved to wheely very high.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
runningmonkey

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 17:02:54 pm »

Arrr yes very true! my car runs 13's so no chance of wheely....yet  Tongue 
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: