The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 10:07:27 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350832 Posts in 28603 Topics by 6826 Members
Latest Member: Kona@2528
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Long cylinders ...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Long cylinders ...  (Read 4173 times)
mwardvw

« on: September 02, 2015, 01:01:47 am »

I am assembling an engine with longer than normal stroke ... need longer cylinders. Looking at the RevMaster cylinders. Can anyone shed some light on these cylinders, please ?
GetBackOnTrack

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 09:58:04 am »

what about cylinder shims?

We can make you a set!

Contact us on gbot@live.dk

Regards, Jakob

You need quality machine work done???
Check: gbot.dk
kb

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 12:21:58 pm »

I've been using Mahle cylinders with shims 2.5mm shims, never had any problems with that.
Now i'm running the Revmaster long cylinders cut down to length..
What are you wondering about?

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

You can see here how much had to be cut down. The finished one here is cut down to approx. 2-3mm longer than stock. I think we had to cut (from memory) 18mm..
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 12:23:53 pm by kb » Logged
mwardvw

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 17:28:40 pm »

90mm crank, 6.0 inch rods ... do not think spacers will work in this application. I am told, I will need 150mm cylinders. This is for a street engine, not a high rpm race engine. I saw, subsequent to this posting here, in another forum in 2006. Pauter's were ranked #1, and RevMaster's were ranked #2. That may have been before others started making longer cylinders for such applications, I do not know for sure. My question/concern is whether the RevMaster cylinders were of sufficient quality. If anyone has ran them recently, and what their experience was. The pricing is much more reasonable compared to Century (type) cylinders from others.

KB, you have pictured RevMaster cylinders. Do the heads need to be machined for 96mm cylinders ?   Making the RevMaster cylinders tapered. Thicker on the top, (head side), than the bottom, (case side).

Thank you for your replies ... Jakob and KB
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 17:40:43 pm by mwardvw » Logged
Roman

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 21:09:21 pm »

Why not a JPM-style piston with minimal pin height? My 86 stroke with 5.7 stroke was narrower than stock.
If i recall right they are 11 mm lower than a "B" stroker piston.
mwardvw

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 22:24:28 pm »

Roman, I agree with you. But, one of the factors in my build is the cost. Trying to keep it minimal and use as many of the parts I currently have. Such as the Mahle 94mm (B) pistons. Already gave in on the engine case. A standard AS41 or AS21 would require so much modification, (and to other components), it was decided to go with the TF-1 case. And this being a relatively low RPM street engine, without lightened flywheel, etc. We are, really, only interested in torque. A big block, low rpm, torque monster, running pump gas ... on the cheap as can get away with ... still keeping reliability in the picture. I would like to sell the Pauter 6.0 inch rods, (Porsche journal), to get shorter rods to increase piston speed and move the power band lower. But, just don't think there is much of a market for such long rods with that journal. So, we will run the rods that came with the crank and wedgemated flywheel.

Seeing longer cylinders at $800.00 and $400.00 ... Thus my inquiry about RevMaster longer cylinders.

Mark
richie

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 07:44:35 am »

AA make some as well that we have used with success

cheers Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
kb

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 09:30:10 am »

90mm crank, 6.0 inch rods ... do not think spacers will work in this application. I am told, I will need 150mm cylinders. This is for a street engine, not a high rpm race engine. I saw, subsequent to this posting here, in another forum in 2006. Pauter's were ranked #1, and RevMaster's were ranked #2. That may have been before others started making longer cylinders for such applications, I do not know for sure. My question/concern is whether the RevMaster cylinders were of sufficient quality. If anyone has ran them recently, and what their experience was. The pricing is much more reasonable compared to Century (type) cylinders from others.

KB, you have pictured RevMaster cylinders. Do the heads need to be machined for 96mm cylinders ?   Making the RevMaster cylinders tapered. Thicker on the top, (head side), than the bottom, (case side).

Thank you for your replies ... Jakob and KB

My heads were machined for the old Mahle 94mm cylinders - and with these no additional machining on block/head were required. Bolted straight on in both the block and head.
I haven't started my engine yet, but they look to be good quality from my (limited) experience of checking out parts.
Planning to run 12.5:1 compression with E85 and NOS.  Roll Eyes
mwardvw

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015, 01:48:51 am »

Thanks for the replies ... Richie, KB, Roman and Jakob
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: