The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 05:57:32 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350885 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  pulled the plug
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: pulled the plug  (Read 3622 times)
nicolas

« on: October 28, 2007, 08:54:13 am »

yeah, i just took out the 1641 engine and took it appart. the problems with the engine didn't stop. thanks for all the great advice, but it turned out the heads were leaking and i got sick of not being able to run decent with the car.
so i took it out and stripped it completely.
that appeared to be a good thing as i came around some things i didn't like:

1. the center bearing of the cam was completely worn. i suspect a bad lubrication so i have to look after that.
2. the clutch is a stock unit with a non-spring disc and that was worn pretty bad. so i am looking after a better disc to use on a street/strip engine.

anyway i will build a bigger engine with the crank i got from Jim (78mm) and i was thinking of going for a 78x90 engine or maybe a 78x88 engine. and i will switch the cam to a FK8 also.

so it should be a straight farward job as i only change the cam and crank, but there will be a lot more issues to deal with i am sure.
as far as carbs are concerned i will have to look later on for a set of 44IDF's or a set of 42 DCNF's. but for now i can't really shell out the money for a set of new carbs. maybe a swap... (hint hint  Roll Eyes )

of course i will have lots of questions along the way and all input or advice is greatly appreciated.

and a last, please explain 'coilbind' and 'rocker geometry' like i am a 2-year-old  Grin .
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 17:28:30 pm »

Go 94's!!!  Grin

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
nicolas

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 19:56:12 pm »

yeah i know 94's would be cool,but the heads are allready 90.5... and besides when i build a 2007 cc we can see what performs best (compared to a 1914)  Grin Grin Grin just joking really. this will be a hopefully nice little engine that should make some good torque. the plan is later on put it in the square and enjoy it as a 'familycar' when the big engine will be done.
it will have the 1 1/2 header and not a 15/8 that would work better. but the heads are opened up nicely and have 42x37 valves. i will use most parts of the 1641 to build up the engine, because i am on a budget, but nethertheless i will probally make it the way it should and buy some bigger carbs and a different header (but i haven't found a 1 5/8 header for a type3 yet...)
it will have a FK8 cam or a W130,but the preference is with the FK8. i first thought about using it with 1.25 rockers as i allready have them, but i am not sure if it works ok.
i hope it turns out ok, as i allready miss driving the car (a lot!) but there was no point in trying to keep that engine running on three legs and not knowing what was broken. the heads had some leaking so that could have caused the problem, but i wanted a bigger engine for a long time.
so i looked up a little bit the engine combo's of a 2007 cc engine and found out there are a few in DKP (Sarge, Carlos, Ben Salazar and of course Hector Bonilla) they all have different cams, but i don't know how they perform in the engines and if they are suitable for a heavier type3... so there are still a lot of questions.
here is another btw: do i need to use stroker pistons and cylinders or just regular (1776) pistons and cylinders?
richie

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 20:37:54 pm »

yeah i know 94's would be cool,but the heads are allready 90.5... and besides when i build a 2007 cc we can see what performs best (compared to a 1914)  Grin Grin Grin just joking really. this will be a hopefully nice little engine that should make some good torque. the plan is later on put it in the square and enjoy it as a 'familycar' when the big engine will be done.
it will have the 1 1/2 header and not a 15/8 that would work better. but the heads are opened up nicely and have 42x37 valves. i will use most parts of the 1641 to build up the engine, because i am on a budget, but nethertheless i will probally make it the way it should and buy some bigger carbs and a different header (but i haven't found a 1 5/8 header for a type3 yet...)
it will have a FK8 cam or a W130,but the preference is with the FK8. i first thought about using it with 1.25 rockers as i allready have them, but i am not sure if it works ok.
i hope it turns out ok, as i allready miss driving the car (a lot!) but there was no point in trying to keep that engine running on three legs and not knowing what was broken. the heads had some leaking so that could have caused the problem, but i wanted a bigger engine for a long time.
so i looked up a little bit the engine combo's of a 2007 cc engine and found out there are a few in DKP (Sarge, Carlos, Ben Salazar and of course Hector Bonilla) they all have different cams, but i don't know how they perform in the engines and if they are suitable for a heavier type3... so there are still a lot of questions.
here is another btw: do i need to use stroker pistons and cylinders or just regular (1776) pistons and cylinders?

You can use regular Pistons[non stroker] as you have them but youy will need shims under the barrells,and you can use the K8 with 1,25 rockers,it has been done plenty times before.But it really needs the 1 .4s.The case will need a little clearancing.

Coilbind is when the coils on the valve springs touch each other before the cam stops lifting the valve open,then something has to give,usually the nose of the cam and the lifters.
To get correct rocker geometry you need the adjuster on the rocker to be in a perfect line with the pushrod at 1/2 lift,its proberly easier to ask when you get to this stage,then you can see the difference as someone explains how you set it up Smiley
Good luck,cheers richie,uk

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Tobi/DFL

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 09:54:56 am »

Hey Nicolas,

there are some sizes of type 3 merged headers available from "Turbo Thomas" in the UK:

http://www.turbothomas.com/headers.html

Bye,

Tobi
nicolas

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 11:30:33 am »

thanks i will look into it.

btw you look good in magazines (just got my Ultra VW)  Grin
Tobi/DFL

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 13:02:44 pm »

You too, Nicolas!;-) So I hope to have my copy in the mail today...
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 13:18:57 pm »

Thanks Nicolas, It was my first full show/race report i.e  pictures and words

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 16:17:33 pm »

If I was you I would get a set of stroker 94's. The motor will go together much easier with stroker pistons, and of course 94's cost the same as 90.5's and are better in many ways. You still need the case machined either way, so you might as well open it up a little further and have the heads done at the same time.
Since you already have 1.25 rockers, use a Engle 125 cam. The 130 is really big, much bigger than a FK8. You need torque to move that heavy type 3. The 125 is more like a FK8 where as the 130 is more like a K10.
With a 1 5/8" header and 44 dcnf's you would have a real screamer!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
nicolas

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 17:34:40 pm »

If I was you I would get a set of stroker 94's. The motor will go together much easier with stroker pistons, and of course 94's cost the same as 90.5's and are better in many ways. You still need the case machined either way, so you might as well open it up a little further and have the heads done at the same time.
Since you already have 1.25 rockers, use a Engle 125 cam. The 130 is really big, much bigger than a FK8. You need torque to move that heavy type 3. The 125 is more like a FK8 where as the 130 is more like a K10.
With a 1 5/8" header and 44 dcnf's you would have a real screamer!

you know what? i will call up the guy who does the machining and get the price for opening the heads as well. but i can't promise you anything  Grin

but the builder is not a fan of the W125 cam... i don't know why really, but the FK8 would have less wear on the valveguides. i may have a source on a set of 1.4 rockers but i need to call the guy. he doesn't know he is going to sell me those rockers for a good price  Grin
as for the header and carbs there needs to come a good deal along before i can switch those as it is an engine that is on a strick budget. that is partly why i need to sell all the parts i have been keeping for years now...
nicolas

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 17:38:04 pm »

Thanks Nicolas, It was my first full show/race report i.e  pictures and words

thank you very much for the very kind words, it was quite shocking to see a picture of the car and me in a magazine. but just for the record the car only won that beautyfull DDD price as it was it's first outing... but it really isn't that bad, i haven't thought about stopping my subscription  Grin
Paul Knight

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 22:16:39 pm »

I'm a big fan of the K8/1.4 combo with 78+ cranks - if the heads are good, that combo is always easy to live with and makes lots of power right through the rpm range. but, if you already have the 1.25s, the w125 is a good budget option, and, in my experience, will perform similarly to the k8 set-up. my dad is running a 125 with 1.25s in his 2007cc motor (with 40x35.5 JMR heads) and that thing pulls like a train from idle right through to 7k+ rpm (BenSSP has driven the car and i'm sure he'll back me up on that!). ok, it's in a bug, but it has bags of torque and i'd happily run that motor in my type 3 (and i may well do exactly that if i get the chance!).
what i'm getting at is that the pops 2007 makes power in a similar rpm range to the k8-equipped street motors i've enjoyed in the past. i've kept a close eye on the valvetrain and (fingers crossed) we've had no probs thus far. it's not as noisy as i was expecting, either... overall i'm pleased with that combo.
oh, and that motor is currently running 48idf's, but it was run-in on a set of 40dcnf's i had set aside for my type 3. i had the chokes bored to 38mm and, if i'm honest, the performance was pretty much on par with the current 48s (with 40mm vents). maybe it makes a few more ponies at high rpm (i didn't really push it to the limits with the dcnf's, so it's hard to compare), but i'd be happy to run 42s on a type 3 stroker motor with a k8 or w125 any day!
best of luck - oh, and by the way, your car rules!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: