The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 03:42:40 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350885 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Well I used to...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Well I used to...  (Read 5971 times)
Donny B.

« on: October 31, 2007, 00:06:03 am »

Drive my car everywhere that is.  It would appear the folks in Europe tend to drive their cars to the shows.  Many in the US only get them there on trailers.  That said I thought I would share a little sign that I used to hang in my car in 1998.  This may be too long ago for some of you, but then I am an old phart! Maybe this sort of thing would encourage others to do the same.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 00:58:08 am »

That is cool. One of the reasons I always liked your car. BTW, I am about to use those bearing retainers you sent me. I will drive the '67 out to Ari one year then we can caravan to the classic.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Donny B.

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 02:15:05 am »

If you come to Arizona you have a place to stay!  Just let me know.  That would give me a reason to go back to the Classic; I haven't been there since 2000.  That was not a good year for me.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 03:35:27 am »

Let me know, Ill be in that caravan! I drove the GTV to the Classic, 1100 miles round trip. Ill be driving it down to Mesa this weekend, you gonna be there Don??

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Donny B.

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 04:12:34 am »

I may get there eventually, but I will drive the Element.  I want to check out the swap area, it's always good.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 09:56:16 am »

Those 36-horse engines always were so reliable...  Grin

Seriously, I remember well talking with you and Rick Mortensen about the mileage you guys covered. Puts today's trailer queens to shame! Cool

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Rune
SCC Crew

Screwdrivers #7

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 12:42:50 pm »

Cool Donny!
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 13:28:13 pm »

Driving to a California event is a goal/dream for me as well.  i'd like to do it after I refurbish my '67.

The plan would be drive from PA to Nashville and pick up my brother, then it is two easy 14-hour days out I-40.  We could always detour down into Phoenix if needed.   Wink

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Donny B.

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 14:26:49 pm »

The plan would be drive from PA to Nashville and pick up my brother, then it is two easy 14-hour days out I-40.  We could always detour down into Phoenix if needed.   Wink

If you plan to do that keep me posted.  You don't want to take I-40 all the way anyway.  I-10 is a better route.  Just turn south in Flagstaff onto I-17 and come to Phoenix and head over on I-10.  If you do that let me know I am at the north end of Phoenix and right off I-17.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 14:31:54 pm »

My goal is to have the car done and ready for the 2010 classic. That is 2 1/2 years. You should be able to get your car ready by then.  Grin Don may have lots of house guests lol.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Donny B.

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 14:34:49 pm »

It wouldn't be the first time we have had the house full with people sleeping in all the bedrooms and living room in sleeping bags.  Whatever works!  Just thought of it, for the Classic you could sleep by the pool.  It's warm in June and you could just roll in to cool off.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 15:03:44 pm by Donny B. » Logged

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2007, 15:14:01 pm »

If we go, my friend and I would probably be camping the whole way anyway.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2007, 16:33:24 pm »

I may get there eventually, but I will drive the Element.  I want to check out the swap area, it's always good.

Indeed, it is. We will have some junk for sale too, the GTV and the Single Cab will be in the show Smiley See you there!

I am about an hour and a half north of Don, not too far off the I-17, keep me in the loop for this trip! Grin

javabug

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2007, 17:37:25 pm »

Yeah, this sounds like fun.  Too bad its a few years away!

My wife and I enjoyed our honeymoon in Flagstaff, I remember driving up 17 from Phoenix in the dark.  About the only thing I remember seeing is the Big Ass BBQ place.  Or Bad Ass.  It was something-Ass, I know that!

Thanks Donny B!

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2007, 17:53:54 pm »

Bad Ass BBQ it is!!! Wink

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2007, 17:57:47 pm »

Yeah, this sounds like fun.  Too bad its a few years away!

Well, I could probably make it in '09 but the car would not be finished. My time line is engine and tranny in '08, body work & paint in '09 & interior in early '10.

--louis

Louis Brooks

javabug

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2007, 19:40:45 pm »

I'd love to shoot for '10, but I don't know how it will really work out.  I was hoping to have my longblock well underway this winter, but if I get to work on any cars I really should finish up my dad's Nova.  Its not too far off, but probably a good couple months' work.  And I'd want to have the Bug done for quite a while to work the bugs out and get some miles on it.

Then there's this one other monkey wrench about to land in my plans:  a kid!

Mike H.

Sven was right.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2007, 19:48:37 pm »

I'd love to shoot for '10, but I don't know how it will really work out.  I was hoping to have my longblock well underway this winter, but if I get to work on any cars I really should finish up my dad's Nova.  Its not too far off, but probably a good couple months' work.  And I'd want to have the Bug done for quite a while to work the bugs out and get some miles on it.

Then there's this one other monkey wrench about to land in my plans:  a kid!

Yeah it is just a date. No one is guaranteeing I will get mine done by then either lol. But if I don't set a goal with a deadline, it will never get done. Hey a new kid is the perfect excuse to get a TII or a TIII. Then its for the "family" and not just another toy for you.  Tongue

--louis

Louis Brooks

Donny B.

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2007, 21:47:39 pm »

No need for a bigger vehicle just because you've got kids.  Before we got married the wife and I and 4 of our 5 kids took my car to California.  At the time it had a stock tired 1600, but I averaged around 26 mpg.  It was tight, but we had a great time.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2007, 21:51:18 pm »

No need for a bigger vehicle just because you've got kids.  Before we got married the wife and I and 4 of our 5 kids took my car to California.  At the time it had a stock tired 1600, but I averaged around 26 mpg.  It was tight, but we had a great time.

My wife has you beat. They used to cram 2 adults and 7 kids in a vw bug. But then again she is Filipino so they are on the small side.  Grin

--louis

Louis Brooks

javabug

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2007, 02:16:12 am »

Luckily my wife and I agree that because we will have A kid, we don't need to run out and buy a van, or monster SUV.  We'll manage just like people have for years, making do with what we have.

Also, I will be working out seatbelts in the back of the '67.  There's no way our kid is missing out on riding in the Bug.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Donny B.

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2007, 03:57:35 am »

Also, I will be working out seatbelts in the back of the '67.  There's no way our kid is missing out on riding in the Bug.

Just make sure you come through Phoenix!

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: