The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 15:47:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350874 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Protecting New paint
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Protecting New paint  (Read 5086 times)
RobtheManx

« on: October 29, 2015, 20:13:54 pm »

Hi everyone .

I'm after a little advise . My 67 has just been painted by Custom Motor Bodies ( Jicks Bodyshop ) . And very good it is too !

Gradually putting it back together , but its getting lots of little light surface scratches . I can scratch it with my finger quite easily !

Is it just a case of letting it properly harden over time , or getting some good coats of wax on ?

If so , what wax do people use ?

Thanks , Rob

SPG Roller Cranks rarely live long!
andy198712

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 21:35:48 pm »

needs to be fully hardened but then a clear bra might be an option? basically a big clear plastic sticker that normally goes over the front of the car but you can have it all covered if needs be?

Have a chat with the chap who painted it and see how long he recommends to leave it full harden/cure before waxes ect just to be safe, and he'd probably know a few good waxes ect to use too i'd bet, detailing can get proper anal though  Grin
Martin S.

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 22:00:47 pm »

How long has it been? The paint should be cured in a few days. You can test that in an inconspicuous place with your fingernail. With a clear coat you really don't need wax, but why not?

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
Bruce

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 22:23:20 pm »

With a clear coat you really don't need wax, 
This is why 10-15 year old cars are all dull.  Given regular wax jobs will keep them glossy.
jick

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 22:56:16 pm »

Hi there Rob!

Direct gloss 2k can stay slightly soft for months and months after painting... There's a big difference between "curing" after baking etc and fully hardening.....it will stay softer and more susceptible to light scratches etc much more than a clear coat which acts as a barrier, which direct colour doesn't have...
I'd just be super cautious with it, some good wax will certainly help... And now is probably as good time...., it's best not to wax for a couple of months or so on new paint..I quite like Meguires Mirror Glaze 16..... Although it's all a matter of preference really...... Once you're done assembling get it over to us and we'll give it a good buff/polish.... Which is always a good move after 6 months or so anyway.
Give me a shout tomorrow if you want to chat it over.... Don't forget I need your address too to post the decklid catch!

Cheers mate!

Jick

Martin S.

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 23:15:05 pm »

With a clear coat you really don't need wax, 
This is why 10-15 year old cars are all dull.  Given regular wax jobs will keep them glossy.
My 71 van still has shiny paint, especially the sierra yellow bottom part, and it's 44 years old. When I bought it there was wax in every crack so I think it was well cared for wax-wise.
I thought you were supposed to not wax a new paint job for a certain length of time, but I'm not sure what that would be.

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
jick

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 23:21:47 pm »

it seems to be generally agreed that it's best not to wax fresh paintwork for around 2-3 months..... Also car covers etc, even the soft/sweatshirt type material ones are best avoided for at least that length of time....

richie

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 23:58:08 pm »

Hi there Rob!

Once you're done assembling get it over to us and we'll give it a good buff/polish.... Which is always a good move after 6 months or so anyway.

Cheers mate!

Jick

Uh oH

Rob, did you see that?

it supposed to be finished 6 months after painting Shocked  Best get your finger out then Cheesy

cheers Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
RobtheManx

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 09:15:00 am »

Thanks for the helpful replies ...except for Richie . I'm waiting for my axles !!

I'm sure the little scratches will buff out , it would just be nice to not have them in the first place . Paint is about 4 months old now , I gave he bonnet a wax the other day with some meguires wax .

Got it covered with some old bed sheets now , just got to be careful I guess .  Being careful is not one of my virtues !

Thanks , Rob

Martin S.

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 19:40:21 pm »

You say you can scratch it quite easily with your finger. That is not normal. If your paint job is a few months old it's not going to get any more durable. There could have been a problem with the hardener when mixing the paint?
Try the fingernail test, press your thumbnail into the paint and see if it leaves a line. Then try the same thing on your POS car you drive every day with a factory paint job. The result should be the same, NO LINE IN THE PAINT.
I've always used Liquid Glass wax, an oldschool one that has worked fine. I like that it's just one step and cleans and waxes in one shot. http://www.amazon.ca/Liquid-Glass-LG-100-Ultimate-Polish/dp/B0002JMIEK

RobtheManx

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2015, 21:21:34 pm »

Hang on a minute , I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea .

The paint is not soft , I cannot make a line with my fingernail . I am absolutely over the moon with the job done by Custom Motor Bodies , and having had 4 cars painted in the past all by different people , I can honestly say this is by far and away the best .

My Wife's beetle was the same . It would get very light scratches , only visible when you get the right angle , from almost anything touching it . Thinking about it , its probably settled dust and grit getting rubbed in . They polished out easy enough and has had plenty of coats of wax since .

I was simply curious as to how everyone else went about looking after fresh paint . I've never been this bothered before , but thats cause I've never had a paintjob as good as this before !

Cheers , Rob

Martin S.

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2015, 22:37:05 pm »

That's one benefit of crappy paint. I don't mind leaning a rake against the car when in the garage. I would wax the hell out of it like gramps did. Spring and Fall like the good ole days.

RobtheManx

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2015, 10:39:22 am »

That's one benefit of crappy paint. I don't mind leaning a rake against the car when in the garage. I would wax the hell out of it like gramps did. Spring and Fall like the good ole days.

Haha , yeah , having really good paint is certainly a novelty round here . Best order some more wax !

beatnik beetle

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2015, 18:57:49 pm »

Rob ..don't cover it up..let it breath ...trust me..
RobtheManx

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2015, 20:40:50 pm »

Ok Simon , covers are off now , cheers !

do you think I should wax more , or leave that too for now ?

Rob

beatnik beetle

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2015, 14:06:15 pm »

hi Rob, I would leave it or as long as possible, let all the solvents escape..
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: