The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 27, 2024, 07:54:50 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351011 Posts in 28629 Topics by 6843 Members
Latest Member: reno1303
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Time to wake up Sarge. Schneider Motors, Anchor Headers & other DKP haunts
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Time to wake up Sarge. Schneider Motors, Anchor Headers & other DKP haunts  (Read 4964 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: November 07, 2007, 17:24:02 pm »

Good morning Sarge, can you tell us guys about the involvement of Schneider Motors, Anchor Mufflers, Pickwick, and any other Panzer haunts had with DKP? Was Schneider a dealer or an independent shop? Any other repair shops that were DKP-friends? How about old pizza or burger joints?

Thanks buddy,
Jim  Grin
Sarge

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 18:25:01 pm »

Joe Schneider sponsered the club back in the mid '60's.  His specialty was BMW but he worked on other German cars as well.  Mike Mahaffey benifited greatly by hanging around Joe's shop constantly when he wasn't at school.  I had the first of many Porsche diaphram clutches installed at Schneider in my '56.  There were also window stickers and license frames showing alegiance to Schneider Motors that we all ran as well.  Joe's shop was on Anaheim Blvd between Anchor Muffler and the Pickwick.  As for Anchor Muffler, I never had anything done there myself, but a lot of others did.  They were very creative, from what I can recall,  in designing those old "boom tubes" (glass pack muff hidden inside large diameter tubing with big megaphone tip) that a lot of guys were running back then.  Hard to imagine life before S&S, Fourtuned, and A-1, but those guys at Anchor made a killing back then!  The Pickwick Hotel was run by a German named Johans Stumpf (strangly, this man is still alive and visits the dealership where I work occasionally!) and is where we held our weekly meetings in a small 1,000 sq ft store front.  That's it for now....zzzz....zzzzz....zzzzzzz  Wink

DKP III
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 00:40:22 am »

Does Stumpf come in and yell at you in German for wrecking his hotel 35 years ago you hoodlum?

I also park at Nick's.
Sarge

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 00:59:44 am »

Does Stumpf come in and yell at you in German for wrecking his hotel 35 years ago you hoodlum?

Gee, how'd you guess?? Roll Eyes  We used to play Four Square inside when the weather was too cold outside and the games got pretty aggressive with the ball bouncing off the walls.  Used to hate paying the rent and having him in our faces shouting "WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???"  Grin Grin

DKP III
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 01:19:02 am »

Did you ever build engines on the carpet? Or better yet , did you ever pre run them on the floor?

I also park at Nick's.
Sarge

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 01:24:15 am »

Did you ever build engines on the carpet? Or better yet , did you ever pre run them on the floor?

No, nothing like that at the clubhouse...just beer drinking and tire smokin'  Shocked Shocked Grin

DKP III
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 03:40:58 am »

"WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???" 

That's friggin' classic, right there.   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Sarge

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 18:36:24 pm »

When I got out of the Army, I had no idea what I wanted to do for a living.  Back then, it was customary for returning servicemen to have their Army life insurance "converted" to a civilian insurance company.  After laying around doing nothing for a couple of weeks, I got booted out of the house and was forced to get some kind of job...that's when an insurance agent came by and, after converting my insurance, recruited me into the insurance biz.  Well, I did pretty well for a while, then got lazy...I only had to report to the office on Tuesdays and Fridays which left three days for "visiting" my friends at their jobs or hanging out at the beach.  My time was split between BAP Geon (Stan Davis, Doug and Whit Haydon, Dan Czapla), Snow's Forign Car (Ron Fleming, Roy Jimenez), Gene Berg (on Lemon St  Greg Aronson, Ron Fleming), at Aronson's house after he'd left Berg's and at Fleming & Aronson during this period.  Lucky for me, my wife had a real job!  Greg Aronson did quite well working out of his parents garage back then.  I'd help with motor and trans yanking, then we'd pile in The Toilet (Greg's white bus with the bungie cord to hold the shifter in fourth gear) and head off to Engine Dynamics (balancing), National Crank (crank grinders), Ollie's Automotive (machine work), BAP Geon (parts) and so on.  Then back to the house where Greg's dad had a beer tapper in the den  Roll Eyes Wink for a little refreshment.  Unfortunatly, all good things eventually come to an end (especially when the money runs out) and I was forced to find a real job for ME.

DKP III
JS

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 18:47:13 pm »

"No, nothing like that at the clubhouse...just beer drinking and tire smokin'    "

Arnie Mohlman told me he thought the club nights in the weekends was soooo boring because he was the only one in the club at that time that was under 21, so he wasn´t allowed to drink beer!  Grin

Signature.
deano

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 22:25:17 pm »

I remember the Sunday that Arnie was voted on to become a member of the DKP. This was at the clubhouse on Chestnut, and non-members (me, and I think Terry), were asked to step outside, while the club voted on the new guy. Of course, Arnie was voted in without any questions. From there, the guys finished up the meeting, and headed for the Warehouse (on Anaheim Blvd.), to drink beer and play foosball. Doesn't seem that long ago....
Of all the club members that I was around, the ones that had the leadership, and were the most out spoken were; Sarge, Ron Fleming and John Lazenby.
The "clubhouse" was your basic dump, with writing on the wall, second hand sofas, odd chairs and used tables. A few posters on the wall, and of course, the Top Ten list. Not very impressive back then, but today, it would be a historical building.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Frank LUX

Back...Soon...hopefully!!!

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 22:29:38 pm »

I remember the Sunday that Arnie was voted on to become a member of the DKP. This was at the clubhouse on Chestnut, and non-members (me, and I think Terry), were asked to step outside, while the club voted on the new guy. Of course, Arnie was voted in without any questions. From there, the guys finished up the meeting, and headed for the Warehouse (on Anaheim Blvd.), to drink beer and play foosball. Doesn't seem that long ago....
Of all the club members that I was around, the ones that had the leadership, and were the most out spoken were; Sarge, Ron Fleming and John Lazenby.
The "clubhouse" was your basic dump, with writing on the wall, second hand sofas, odd chairs and used tables. A few posters on the wall, and of course, the Top Ten list. Not very impressive back then, but today, it would be a historical building.

Is that building still in existance, or has it been destroyed???

Frank

1960 Ragtop, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Joe Hunt Magneto, someday it will be back...
1953 Split Window, 1799cc, 48 IDA's, Don Zig Magneto,  OG BRM's...in da works...
SumFun Racecar, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Magneto
Sarge

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 22:40:38 pm »

Frank

It's long gone, Frank...too bad  Sad Sad Sad  Took all the boys by there a few months ago on a cruise to show where are roots began...hard to believe it's the same area!

DKP III
Frank LUX

Back...Soon...hopefully!!!

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2007, 22:58:03 pm »

Frank

It's long gone, Frank...too bad  Sad Sad Sad  Took all the boys by there a few months ago on a cruise to show where are roots began...hard to believe it's the same area!

Yep, Too Bad!!! Could have been something really cool to visit!!!

Frank

1960 Ragtop, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Joe Hunt Magneto, someday it will be back...
1953 Split Window, 1799cc, 48 IDA's, Don Zig Magneto,  OG BRM's...in da works...
SumFun Racecar, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Magneto
Carlos De Alba

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2007, 23:03:51 pm »

It was a great experience....... Thanks Sarge !!!

Der Kleiner Panzers
Stephan S

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2007, 23:04:59 pm »

Here is the area Sarge is talking about... We drove to Anaheim following a photo shoot, which gathered over 20 club cars. Incidentally, the shoot was quite a challenge, as the park's rangers wanted us out of the place quickly!
Anyway, driving with 15+ club cars was simply the BEST!

Der Kleiner Panzers
empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2007, 23:12:18 pm »

very cool picture
Stephan S

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2007, 23:15:07 pm »

One more...
Enjoy!

Der Kleiner Panzers
Sarge

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2007, 23:27:58 pm »

It was a great experience....... Thanks Sarge !!!

My pleasure!

Here is the area Sarge is talking about... We drove to Anaheim following a photo shoot, which gathered over 20 club cars. Incidentally, the shoot was quite a challenge, as the park's rangers wanted us out of the place quickly!
Anyway, driving with 15+ club cars was simply the BEST!

Thanks for the pic, Steph....the Pickwick was on the opposite side of the street, though (out of pic).  At any rate, the street we're parked on is Chestnut (Deano's post) and was the site of MANY burn-outs back in the day...usually accompanied by hotel patrons yelling down at us to knock it off from their room windows.   Roll Eyes Grin Cool

DKP III
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2008, 06:38:37 am »

My time was split between BAP Geon (Stan Davis, Doug and Whit Haydon, Dan Czapla), Snow's Forign Car (Ron Fleming, Roy Jimenez), Gene Berg (on Lemon St  Greg Aronson, Ron Fleming), at Aronson's house after he'd left Berg's and at Fleming & Aronson during this period.  Lucky for me, my wife had a real job!  Greg Aronson did quite well working out of his parents garage back then.  I'd help with motor and trans yanking, then we'd pile in The Toilet (Greg's white bus with the bungie cord to hold the shifter in fourth gear) and head off to Engine Dynamics (balancing), National Crank (crank grinders), Ollie's Automotive (machine work), BAP Geon (parts) and so on.

Dam Czapla was still at BAP when I worked there. Ollies Automotive sounds so familiar... I'm sure I had some work done there but I can't remember what. Where were they?

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: