The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 10:41:23 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350832 Posts in 28603 Topics by 6826 Members
Latest Member: Kona@2528
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  solid mounts.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: solid mounts.  (Read 5550 times)
67worshipper

« on: May 01, 2008, 19:39:13 pm »

solid mounts on the gearbox good or bad? just got a car from the states and its my pride and joy but the solid mount thing is a worry. ive read alot of cars stateside are running solid mounts just like to know peoples thoughts.

vw hot rod heaven
Sarge

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 20:59:35 pm »

With slicks, yes...  With radials, no.  Who needs all the noise in a driver?  If your racing and driving streets on the weekend with a big motor, then go for solids but if your in a 1776 with Kads and commuting to work daily, forget it.  Solid mounts transfer loads of vibration into your car and will leave you with loosened fastners and broken intake manifolds at some point.  VW used to make two hardnesses of rubber mounts...the hard ones are obsolete through the factory but are worth checking swap meets for.  My $.02.

DKP III
Jim Ratto

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 21:10:20 pm »

yeah what Sarge says.

I resorted to the solid Berg trans mount back in '90's when I was dumb and thought I wanted a "racecar." It was a weld in deal. Yeah it holds the transaxle in check, but it makes so much noise it drives me crazy now. Like Sarge says, you can still find good OE Volkswagen mounts, the only way to fly. A Berg traction bar (with rubber isolator pad under knob on case) makes a failsafe installation, you won't have a problem, unless you're doing wheelies and 9000rpm.
67worshipper

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 22:05:17 pm »

ive got the ideamans old car jade grenade.its got a 2276 with all the bits.gearbox is solid.thinking of swapping to rhino mounts an intermidiate mount and a berg traction bar.im probably going to leave it till the winter and do it then.wanna do some miles in it Smiley

vw hot rod heaven
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 22:05:27 pm »

I 3rd what they said Wink

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 22:09:58 pm »

ive got the ideamans old car jade grenade.its got a 2276 with all the bits.gearbox is solid.thinking of swapping to rhino mounts an intermidiate mount and a berg traction bar.im probably going to leave it till the winter and do it then.wanna do some miles in it Smiley

I would use OE VW over those Rhino mounts. They are as loud as solid and probably transmit just as much vibration. I used those for a few months... scrapped them for OE VW in the early 90's
67worshipper

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 22:25:23 pm »

you say about the vw mounts but do they still make them?

vw hot rod heaven
Jim Ratto

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 22:28:44 pm »

you say about the vw mounts but do they still make them?

Dave At Proformance can get you the OE Volkswagen mounts (HD version)

tell him you need 111 301 263C and that Jim Ratto sent you the part #.

67worshipper

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 22:44:20 pm »

thanks jim.proformance is in the states is it?

vw hot rod heaven
cal-look.net

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 23:16:31 pm »

I HAVE SOLID MOUNTS ON MY STREET CAR . . .  Shocked

sorry was I shouting?  Grin  Cheesy  Wink

I think I need to look into changing them to something a bit less hardcore race car!

What are the options??

ESH

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 08:59:34 am »

Any one remember Doug Bergs take on solid mounts on the CLF a while back?

WHAT? Cheesy Grin
Neil Davies

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 09:17:07 am »

As far as I know, VW Heritage are doing the Grey VW mounts, which I think are the harder ones that Jim was talking about, and Pete at Funkenblitz tends to recommend the yellow CB Performance ones.
I've used the urethane ones and hated them - they eventually squeezed up and then shattereed, so I replaced them with another set. When I swap the box this year I'll go for the grey VW ones I think, along with a Berg style rubber mid mount and a traction bar.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
67worshipper

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 19:57:45 pm »

the yellow cb ones are the rhinos i mentioned earlier neil.seems to be a no no. i,ll try the grey ones i think.nice car cal-look.net! looked at your build up on many occasions Wink

vw hot rod heaven
qubek

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2008, 08:45:59 am »

Well, I'm about to install rhinos, I'll tell you whether they are no-no or OK. I'm old enough to know that constant noise and nuts and bolts getting loose are not a good thing in a daily driver.
I just wish I got so many answers when I asked the question if rhinos are ok and where to get HD VW mounts, some time ago, before I ordered those rhinos..... ;>

I have repro BRMs and I'm proud! :]
67worshipper

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2008, 12:48:50 pm »

im gonna have to look and see if rear mount is welded in Undecided

vw hot rod heaven
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2008, 13:46:08 pm »

Never had problems with mine when i had one under my car but then again iran street and in the weekends i raced.
But on the road never had problems with it and drove it daily Cool

Fast vw beetle's rule
Peter Roberts

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2008, 18:37:31 pm »

I have used a few sets of the CB Yellow Poly mounts , to great effect , no movement , not much more noise than rubbers . The CB mounts are well made , I am having some intermediate mount blocks made from some Poly the same sure-hardness as the CB ones , so they all match .

The most effective thing you can do to stop movement , is support the frame horns .

Andy's car runs this setup , and we haven't noticed any deterioration of the mounts , or movement , and we have given it some stick  Wink ...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/JsTmDLshe8o" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/JsTmDLshe8o</a>

67worshipper

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2008, 23:30:00 pm »

pete i think i,ll use it as is for the summer and redo the system in the winter.as much as im gonna use it over the summer shouldnt be a problem.just hope the rear mount aint welded cuz getting the chassis redone in powdercoat aint gonna be easy Cry although its going to need brackets welded for the intermidiate mount anyway Roll Eyes

vw hot rod heaven
qubek

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2008, 20:49:46 pm »

Well, I'm about to install rhinos, I'll tell you whether they are no-no or OK. I'm old enough to know that constant noise and nuts and bolts getting loose are not a good thing in a daily driver.
Well, I have them on my car now. I have to admit that they are noisy. Not as noisy as solid mounts, but definitely noisier than stock rubber ones. You can live with that, but it can be annoying in the long run.

I have repro BRMs and I'm proud! :]
67worshipper

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2008, 21:59:51 pm »

thanks for that qubek.ive found my mount isnt welded in which is good news.will have to do these mounts over the winter.

vw hot rod heaven
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: